I was wondering if someone could clear up the idea of triads in scales to make chords. I finally got the concept of modes and I was trying to use it in a solo. I was soloing in F.... correct me if I'm wrong thats spelled out F G A b flat C D e flat? So the root triad is F A C, but if I wanted to switch it to give a minor feel with dorian. Would the chord be G b flat D? Thanks for the help.

-don kappyton
Well, if you just throw a G minor chord in there, it won't be Dorian because you haven't made that G your tonal center yet. The progression will still revolve around something else and want to resolve (most likely) back to an F chord. You have to create a vamp to establish the G as your new tonal center so that you can play G Dorian. Something like a Gm7-C7 vamp would work well.
If you take F Mixolydian, which is what you have written out ontop

F Mixo: F G A Bb C D Eb F

and you make the chord your playing over (progression) one that bases itself around G Aeolian

i.e A-7b5 - D7b9 - G-7 (would this really be a G Minor progression, its mostly diatonic part form the V, which is Harmonic, so could you call it a progression that could have Aeolian played over it?)

I guess if my progression is correct, than you would be playing G Aeolian.

If you wanted to play G Dorian, the notes are G A Bb C D E F G

Its the second mode of F Ionian, whose notes are F G A Bb C D E F
Assuming you wish to stick to F as your tonal centre

F Dorian = F G Ab Bb C D Eb F

Hint (don't play a FAC triad over it though unless you want a blues sound)