can you get metal tones from Seymour Duncan SH-11's and SH-1n's? im pretty sure there both high output (correct me if im wrong) and i cant find much info about them on the internet, so im gonna ask you guys.

also what is the difference between Duncan designed and real Seymour Duncans?
Ibanez FR Prestige (BKP'd out)
Schecter Tempest Classic
Fryette Deliverance 120
Hughes and Kettner 412
Quote by viper62084
can you get metal tones from Seymour Duncan SH-11's and SH-1n's? im pretty sure there both high output (correct me if im wrong) and i cant find much info about them on the internet, so im gonna ask you guys.

also what is the difference between Duncan designed and real Seymour Duncans?

They are just low end version of real Duncan pickups. Some sound bad (the ones in my Jackson) some sound good(ones in my friends Michael Kelly) That is really all that I can tell you, but if they are humbuckers I would say they will get the job done.

*Note: I realize that not all humbuckers are good for metal. But more than likely the ones in the guitar he bought are humbuckers that will be acceptable.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
All pickups sound decent with the right distortion/eq.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

The sh-1 and sh-11 are lower output if I remember correctly. They'll do stuff like maiden or van halen if they're put into a guitar with good attack and treble response and not too much bass - strat/superstrat style of guitars. They'll be too muddy in big, heavy guitars (Les Paul and the like - in such guitars, hard/punk rock style distortion is the maximum).
Of course you can push the gain even with a bassy guitar, but it'll sound muddy and generally mediocre then. It is possible, but I don't recommend it.

Hey, tell us what amp and guitar you are using and we'll recommend you something that will suit your needs. What tone do you want, anyway? There are many types of metal, y'know?
Quote by TheQuailman
The sh-1 and sh-11 are lower output if I remember correctly. They'll do stuff like maiden or van halen if they're put into a guitar with good attack and treble response and not too much bass - strat/superstrat style of guitars. They'll be too muddy in big, heavy guitars (Les Paul and the like - in such guitars, hard/punk rock style distortion is the maximum).
Of course you can push the gain even with a bassy guitar, but it'll sound muddy and generally mediocre then. It is possible, but I don't recommend it.

Hey, tell us what amp and guitar you are using and we'll recommend you something that will suit your needs. What tone do you want, anyway? There are many types of metal, y'know?

ahh, i think it said on seymour duncans website the SH-11's are high output, but i cant find them on there website for some strange reason
Ibanez FR Prestige (BKP'd out)
Schecter Tempest Classic
Fryette Deliverance 120
Hughes and Kettner 412
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh11_custom_cus/

According the that, the 11s are higher output vintage tone pickups. So slightly higher, but still probably not the best metal pups.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
The Custom is a great pickup for metal, it's relatively high output and has a ceramic magnet for clarity under distortion - those are the most important factors. The amp you plug them into has a lot more to do with your metal tone.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need actives or stupidly high output passive pickups with rail magnets to play metal.

[EDIT] my bad, got my Customs mixed up...I never use the number designations, I find it a lot easier to just go by the names. The custom Custom is still a perfectly good pickup for metal, although it's got an Alnico 2 magnet it's voiced with higher gain tones in mind but also to add extra warmth to a bright guitar like a strat. Good for lead work as it's a little more open sounding and vocal than the normal Custom.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 21, 2008,
if you want good Seymour Duncans id say the JB/Jazz set (its whats in the RR3 and RR5) which are both killer metal guitars
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking