so ive been reading and it seems that everyone here hates line 6's. are all of them bad?

cause i played the spider jam yesterday at guitar center. i played it through a schecter w/ emgs, cause ive got those same emgs in my LP. and to me it sounded pretty damn good. better than my crate at least.

so is that also a bad amp? if it is than what would a nice amp be to get?
ugh. We don't hate all Line 6's. Just Spiders.
There's better.
What genres do you want to play?
What's your budget?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
the only bad products by line 6 are the one's that have "Spider" in the name. That being, the spider jam is just the 75 watt spider III with a drum machine and recorder.
Quote by Ghold125
the only bad products by line 6 are the one's that have "Spider" in the name. That being, the spider jam is just the 75 watt spider III with a drum machine and recorder.
A sub-par drum machine and recorder at that. When you increase the tempo the pitch goes up and vise versa.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by theoreticmusic
ugh. We don't hate all Line 6's. Just Spiders.
There's better.
What genres do you want to play?
What's your budget?

well i play alot of metal. bullet for my valentine, avenged sevenfold, metallica. stuff like that. id like to spend somewhere around $500.
if you actually thought that spider was good, buy a 15-30 watt spider and make sure it never leaves your room. i think they're great for practice. spiders cant hold up in any other situation though, just dont do it
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Or Vypyr/Vypyr Tube.
Go play one. They're pretty good, and the tube version (should) be better. It comes out in the beginning of Oct.

Don't judge me.
get whatever you want. if something sounds good to you, get it. a spider IS great for practice.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by synguitarist7x
so how are the b-52's? anyone have one?

Reliable, decent sounding, good for metal. Not a whole lot else.

Don't judge me.
Go back to GC at try out every single amp they have in your budget. Let your ears decide how they sound.

Use the internet and forums to check on reliability issues only, not tone.

Tone is like religion, very personal.

Buy what you like, not what other folks like. Don't let a salesman tell you what you want/need either.
Last edited by shmuck71 at Sep 21, 2008,
Quote by shmuck71
Go back to GC at try out every single amp they have in your budget. Let your ears decide how they sound.

Buy what you like, not what other folks like. Don't let a salesman tell you what you want/need either.

well its just hard cause i dont get up there too often. just went up lately cause i had that let there be gibson certificate to get some stuff for my custom guitar.

so i kind of just figure out what a majority of people think is nice and i go and test out the top 3 or what ever. so all i need to know is what is a nice, preferably tube, amp for playing metal?
You've already gotten 2 good recommendations. I'll restate them anyway.
Vypyr75/Vypyr 60 Tube
ValveKing 112
Bugera 6262 (a little out of the budget)
B-52 AT-112

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
You've already gotten 2 good recommendations. I'll restate them anyway.
Vypyr75/Vypyr 60 Tube
ValveKing 112
Bugera 6262 (a little out of the budget)
B-52 AT-112

ill have to check them out next time im up there. thanks a bunch.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Or Vypyr/Vypyr Tube.
Go play one. They're pretty good, and the tube version (should) be better. It comes out in the beginning of Oct.

So what you're basically saying by stating that they come out in October is that you've never played one?

That, sir, is a no-no when it comes to recommending things.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
So what you're basically saying by stating that they come out in October is that you've never played one?

That, sir, is a no-no when it comes to recommending things.

Don't try to correct me on that. I said to go play one, and suggested it in tandem with the Vypyr SS. I made the full disclaimer that it wasn't out yet, meaning that I haven't played it. I said it should be better, I didn't say GO BUY THAT SHIT. IT'S HAWT!!!!

Seriously, kid.

Don't judge me.
Just my opinion. If I were getting something for bedroom practice, it'd be either the Micro Cube or the tiny VOX. I've played both, and for a small amp, there pretty badass.
Quote by caraluzzo
Just my opinion. If I were getting something for bedroom practice, it'd be either the Micro Cube or the tiny VOX. I've played both, and for a small amp, there pretty badass.

i was never a big fan of those tiny amps...
also for high gain, check out Randall amps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The spider Jam is way better than the others because of the speaker it suprisingly sounds pretty good for what it is
MY GEAR

Home Made Guitar

15 Watt Marshall MG

Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi USA

Ibanez Artcore
Don't dredge up an old thread like this just to say something like that.

Especially when we've CLEARLY moved beyond spiders.

/thread.

Don't judge me.
Quote by shmuck71

Well, most guitarists who have spiders, start hating them after around a year-year and a half of serious playing.

Don't buy one, it's like throwing money down the toilet.

They are decent for practise, but anything else is ludicrous.
I am interested in this amp. The main reason is there are 100 plus back up tracks... it is not just drums... the tracks have bass and rhythm guitar. It is like playing with others while at home just practicing. I can also change the key and speed of any of the back up tracks as well as make my own.

My 2 questions are:
1) Is the above concept I outlined good for a beginner-intermediate player to practice lead guitar.
2) It has been said on a prev post on this thread that when changing speed it affects pitch. Can that manually be corrected within the amps functions? Is there a way I can work around this?

Thanks for any help guys.
The concept is good. The execution is not. Play along with a CD and another amp, it's the same thing.

No, it can't be corrected. it's a very simple device (read:cheap).

Just don't buy the amp.

Don't judge me.
What's wrong with the Spider Valve, people?
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
why does this thread keep getting dredged up? why do people love spider threads so much?

the spider valve is overpriced, and while the tone is markedly better than the other spiders, it fails to measure up to other tube amps in it's price range.

Don't judge me.
you do not know what your talking about have you played on one?
No, most of these guys are just repeating what they hear. If you are a beginner, the Spider amps are a good value with alot of effects and other goodies to keep someone who is just starting out interested. No, it is not a good amp to perform in front of a crowd but it wasn't made for that. It was designed as a practice amp and if that's what your buying it for, then by all means, go for it.

BTW- I used to own a Spider III 150 Watt for awhile so I'm not just going on word of mouth. Just keep in mind that if you ever decide to play in a band and play shows, you will end up needing a better amp.
The spiders aren't a bad choice for someone who likes metal, IMO, much better than the VOX or the lower end crate amps.

Now the roland cube 30w or larger does sound quite a bit better.

The features on the Spider Jam, pretty cool, I haven't checked the price, might be a bit more.

It might be worth it, sounds like a cool amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio