Before I got my V18 I had the Microcube, which I could obviously play distortion at bedroom levels, and now that I have my Crate V18, I'm able to play cleans, but as soon as I turn the gain past 5 regardless of the volume setting it gets way too loud. Also before I even got the amp I made a tread asking if it'd be too loud and you guys said no . I decided that the Weber Mini Mass 50w attenuator would be good, but would that be enough to get higher gain at some really low volume without completely butchering my tone?

Also I wanted to get an OD for metal, how much volume do pedals add?
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

The attenuator would solve your problems completely, i'd have thought.

If you're after a metal OD, i'd recommend an EQ pedal to put in front of the amp and you can manipulate the tone how you wish more effectively with one.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
The crate on its own isn't gonna get you very much distortion, even with an attenuator. It'll get you some good breakup, but not metal type of distortion. If you want distortion get a pedal, it should work at lower volumes (if you get a decent one).

If you just want some overdrive, the attenuator will work perfect.

EDIT: and I'm sorry UG told you 18 watts wouldn't be too loud. 18 watts can get REALLY loud if you turn it up. 18 watts without a gain channel really is too much to try and get bedroom level distortion.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Sep 21, 2008,
If I put it at low volume clean, and add a Dist. pedal, would ot be as loud as the clean, or will it add a lot of volume?
Quote by Le_Bunny

Last edited by (Metal)lica at Sep 21, 2008,
It will add some volume, but usually the pedals have volume controls so you can determine how much is enough. It shouldn't add too much, and it definately won't add as much volume as trying to crank a tube amp.

Try something like a metal muff. People usually recommend them over boss and similar pedals.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
If vlume is at 1, and gain is at like 6-10, its still too loud, but if i have volume on at .5 and have high gain i get this buzzy distortion which idk if its good for the amp
Quote by Le_Bunny

Another question, I was thinking about putting some Greenbacks in, would that give me more breakup at lower volumes?
Quote by Le_Bunny

^Lipstick on a pig, that is.

I don't think it would, though.

IIRC, the V series operate at 8 ohms. I am probably wrong, but if you increase the impedance, therefore increasing the load, the amp would work harder, making it breakup earlier.

Like I said, I'm probably wrong.

But if I were you, I would get a Metal Muff and be done with it, and then put something like an Emi Redcoat or a Warehouse Greenback clone in it, as opposed to an expensive mofo like that.
Do you have the 112 or were you a bit silly and bought the 212?

They won't give you more breakup. Only ever when pushed hard and in a 112, and that's not low volume.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
give the metal muff a shot. i use one with a modded valve jr. you don't need to use alot of gain on the pedal maybe 10 o'clock, 11 o'clock not more than that. you just need the pedal it's tone.
if you are playing metal with a greenback, i fear for you getting some mud. Sounds like it'd be muddy. I'd either pick up a bad monkey, or a metal muff. I think a bad monkey+attenuator could do good.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Ok thanks everyone for answering my 50,000 questions , I'm done now
Quote by Le_Bunny

Quote by kool98769
if you are playing metal with a greenback, i fear for you getting some mud. Sounds like it'd be muddy. I'd either pick up a bad monkey, or a metal muff. I think a bad monkey+attenuator could do good.

+1, the greenback in my F30 is muddier for metal the the V30 is came with stock.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I have a v18. I keep the gain at 1 and the volume at 3. I have a digitech metal master pedal. I use it for my bedroom and i can just adjust the volume with the level knob on the pedal. Sounds fine at lower volumes.

Get a metal muff or something. My metal master works fine but i've realized now that i should have chosen something better
Thanks a lot, so low volume, low gain, but with a dist pedal you can get metal at bedroom levels?
Quote by Le_Bunny

Yeah. Once you get into tube amps for the bedroom its assumed your going to most likely use an OD or distortion pedal to get higher gain. Pumping the gain makes everything get wayyyyy louder.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500M
Ibanez GAX-70
Crate V-18 112
BYOC Overdrive TS808 Clone
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Well, I was thinking about a Big Muff + TubeScreamer
Quote by Le_Bunny

I have a V18 too. (plus a bunch of other crap.)
You could have done worse with your amp selection.

The V18 distortion only sounds good when cranked, and it's more of a classic rock than a metal thing. (at low voume, with the gain cranked, it sounds HORRIBLE)

I don't know where alot of these cats live, but if they think that a cranked 18 watt class A tube amp is bedroom volume, they must have all lost their hearing by now!

Yea, the heavy metal distortion boxes sound good at "real" bedroom levels. Keep in mind that distortion boxes are meant to be ran into a clean amp.

Anyway, the problem you will have is, trying to reproduce the bedroom sound that you get when you are playing at stage volume with a band. It will feedback like a mofo with a distortion pedal.
(there isn't much headroom in a v18 for clean volume to run a distortion pedal.)
So, you may have to use the amps distortion and boost it into 80's metal with an OD pedal. (like a TS9)

I actually prefer the el-cheapo Behringer BO100 over my TS9, and the Behringer VT911 over my big muff pi. Better sounding, and alot cheaper.

I'd try the big muff thing before you buy. It's more of a smashing punkins sound. running a TS9 before the big muff definately helps it sound more like metal, and less like fuzz.

If the amp has too much gain to run your distortion box(s) at stage volume, replace the V1 12AX7 with a 5751. This will give you more headroom.

good luck