hey all im thinking of getting a cheap strat replica from Rondo music and "relic"ing it and so on but i was wondering how do you relic a maple neck to make it look like it does on "Blackie" ( http://www.stratcollector.com/scnimages/christiesclapton/blackie2.gif ) what sort of things do you need to get that aged look.

and please dont give me any crap about just play it i want to do this as a personal project so dont give me any S****
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
try leaving the finger gunk on the fretboard. Sand sections of it with very fine sandpaper.

Take keys, screw bits and other little things and drop them on random places of the body and neck.

Add some cigarette burns to the headstock and whatnot.

Sand down the finish a bit to get rid of shine. Sand down places that wear like where you rest your arm, buckle rash etc...

Sand the pickguard down a little with very very fine steel wool and spill coffee on it.

Buy a shitload of cigarettes, get a big box, suspend the guitar, light said cigarettes and seal the box up.

Oh and this should be in GB&C.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
try leaving the finger gunk on the fretboard. Sand sections of it with very fine sandpaper.

Take keys, screw bits and other little things and drop them on random places of the body and neck.

Add some cigarette burns to the headstock and whatnot.

Sand down the finish a bit to get rid of shine. Sand down places that wear like where you rest your arm, buckle rash etc...

Sand the pickguard down a little with very very fine steel wool and spill coffee on it.

Buy a shitload of cigarettes, get a big box, suspend the guitar, light said cigarettes and seal the box up.

Oh and this should be in GB&C.

cool beans. we got an expert here! he said everything i was gonna say.
Do NOT look behind you.
Just to say, it will not relic like the nitrocellulose laquer like on the guitars the made back in the 50s.

So yeah, I'd say sand it down quite a bit, to where you normally play it and things, and maybe rub something dark into it, maybe ash or something, I'm not too sure. But definatly sand the laquer off, if it has any.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Just to say, it will not relic like the nitrocellulose laquer like on the guitars the made back in the 50s.

So yeah, I'd say sand it down quite a bit, to where you normally play it and things, and maybe rub something dark into it, maybe ash or something, I'm not too sure. But definatly sand the laquer off, if it has any.

This is true.

Most companies now use a blend of Nitrocellulose and polyurethane.

If you know your guitar is Nitro though and you want to check the finish, throw the body in the freezer for a bit and then take it out really quick.

The quick change in temperature will force the wood to expand and contract, ergo cracking the laquer.

You can do this with ice water in a tub as well.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I wouldn't sand the poly off, it'd take an age, I know guys who've blowtorched the poly off, one guy was doing a Rory Gallagher strat replica, he sanded the paint off to get the detail, but blowtorched the poly off, the other was just blow torching most of the paint off aswell.

On one of my reliced strats (not completed yet) I wet+dry papered the finish off (it has taken an age.)

Guitar and bass magazine recently (oct 08 issue, came out early sept) did a blackie replica, I'll try to give you the main points from it:
On the back of the neck, rub (in "random" patterns, no obvious same direction scratches) with ultra fine steel wool, don't overdo it.
For the fretboard wear, put a set of strings on and attach a felt polishing wheel to a dremel and work at the parts (inbetween the strings) you want to "wear" but make sure you're careful with it, and don't set it too fast or the finish'll melt.
Then the obvious cigarette marks on the headstock.
For the dirt around the tuners, some naphtha-based grain filler can be wiped around the tuners to mimic the effect.
Use a thumb plane to get the "50s style" tummy cut (if you so desire)
Knock the gloss back with soem 0000-grade wire wool, and do as you did with the neck, after this use some wax car polish to give a softer cgloss that looks "deeper and older" than just bare paint.
Now to get the exact removed paint marks, this is where the magazine ****ed up royally, well for the large sections, mask off where it'll be (masking tape over the areas you DON'T want sanded) and sand at it. For any edges a stanley knife will remove paint, but remember, it has to look uthentic, the magazine's blackie ****ed up on the front, they took a large chunk of paint out where there was only meant to be some dots of missing paint, this is incredibly easy to replicate by accurately hitting it with a small metal object or something like that.

That's not a very elusive guide, but it should help.

EDIT: I just realised you only asked for the neck of Blackie, I spent all that time for nuttin' , oh well, it's good to put this information out there for others' use
Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Sep 21, 2008,
Don't laugh but one of the best things you can do is get one of those meat smoker things from outdoor catalogs and smoke it!
Just hang you guitar is the smoker.... far enough away from the fire so it doesn't burn though..... also remember NOT to put any meat in there at the same time though.
Punk_Nija thanks for the info man, i actually want to make a Blackie replica, so your info was quite helpful. btw the magazine you mentioned is it called "Guitar and Bass" cause i may pick up that issue.
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
bump for more blackie guides :P:
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- Marshall DSL40C