ok, if u have read my last 2 threads, i was looking for a science project. I have found one. The project is to build two guitar pickups, and test if a stronger magnet will make the sound better. But one problem, i do not know how to test them to see which sounds better, because i need to collect data with numbers to do the project. So if u could tell me (or give me a link to somewhere) how i can compare the two pickups PLEASE TELL ME!!! or if you have any other ideas tell me those to, ok thanks
Measure the sound output of both?

See which is louder with different guitar settings,

That's all I can think of.
rawr
That's pretty much it, I think. But it will test of "hotness" of the pickups. You can't scientifically prove that one pickup sound better than the other, since it's based on opinion. You can only measure which one puts out a stronger signal.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Measure how much sound they're putting out.

Have the same amp settings all the time. Change between all bass on guitar, all mids, all treble (assuming you have all those), put all of half. Measure how loud the output is (in dB).
rawr
use an oscilloscope and measure the output signal? Or use a multimeter to compare output voltages...but you'd need test conditions. Nounting the pickups side by side under a single string, both exactly the same distance from an anchor point, would be fair. After doing that you can listen to them mounted in a guitar and see which one sounds better to you. You can quantify the output because it's measureable, so your hypothesis could be "Does a more powerful pickup sound better?"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 21, 2008,
well which pickup sounds better is more of an opinion than something that can be measured. Instead of looking for a scientific measurement, maybe take a survey or something otherwise its completely subjective. Even if pickup A sounds better than pickup B to you, another guitar player might take the tone that is less appealing to you and apply it differently to make it sound more appealing based on how they play.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Get a bunch of people to rate the sounds quality from 1-10, then find averages, standard deviations and other statistical things.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
this is not a survey, this is a science fair project for high school, its due february and i need to pick something by october 2nd, which i have, i just need to no how to measure it
Quote by steven seagull
use an oscilloscope and measure the output signal? Or use a multimeter to compare output voltages...but you'd need test conditions. Nounting the pickups side by side under a single string, both exactly the same distance from an anchor point, would be fair. After doing that you can listen to them mounted in a guitar and see which one sounds better to you. You can quantify the output because it's measureable, so your hypothesis could be "Does a more powerful pickup sound better?"

thanks i thik ive found what i want, an oscillooscope cost atleast 500 dollars and i dont have that kinda money, but the multimeter is definetly something im going to research about knowing i already have one. thank you so much