There's something wrong with my Jackson Rhoad's something-or-other. I'm pretty sure it's not in the wiring, I've got that tight as a drum, so that leaves the electronics themselves. I think I'm just gonna go nuts and redo all the pots and switches and while I'm at it get new pickups. I play through a B-52 AT212, and I'm using this guitar for real death metal and such, think cryptopsy, cannibal corpse, etc. Any suggestions? I don't have anything routed for active pickups, and I'd like to avoid them. Not too concerned about price range.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Dare I even say it, but maybe a SD Invader. They've got a pretty high output. Or a SD 'Duncan Distortion' or whatever it is.

Or some Dimarzio Super Distortion, is it? I can't remember all these names!

But yeah, look at them.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Sep 21, 2008,
i say EMG!!!!

no better yet....

BILL LAWRENCE 50XL
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
I think I'm gonna go with a JB Trem in the bridge and an Alnico II in the neck. Anyone have any large objections? Does the JB have enough output to be high enough distortion for cryptopsy-esque death metal?
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
There's better options - for the bridge the Duncan Custom and Distortion are both worth considering, as are the Dimarzio D-Sonic and D-activator. For the neck you might want to reconsider the Alnico 2, it'll go to mush under the kind of distortion levels you'll be using...look at the Duncan Full Shred or Jazz, or the Dimarzio Air Norton or Breed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 25, 2008,
I can definitely get into the bridge pickup suggestions, but I don't want some huge ceramic magnet for the neck because it won't sound good clean, and that's the only reason I'd use it. Any different ideas?
Quote by Powerhouse
All those neck pickups have Alnico V magnets and none of them are overly hot - the Full Shred is probably the hottest one there but you ideally want something with a bit of heft if you want to balance a hot bridge pickup. However, if you're only going to use it for cleans then the dimarzio Humbucker From Hell is worth a look, however I wouldn't personally match that with anything too hot in the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you want a huge metal tone, the Dimarzio X2N is about as hot as a passive pickup gets.
Chuck Shuldiner from Death uses one, and it worked for him.
I've tried out one on a friends Ibanez RG, through my Laney GH50L and it sounded great for metal, but I wouldn't use it for anything else.
A Dimarzio Super Distortion would be a safe bet, as would a Dimarzio Evolution or a Seymour Duncan Trembucker (one of the hot ones).
Neck pickup I'd say like a Seymour Duncan Jazz or a Dimarzio Breed.
Member of the Laney Cult
SD Invader in the bridge with an SH-6 in the neck. I have a Jackson here with that set up and it sounds great. When I bought it, it had a JB in the bridge but I found that it didn't have enough guts behind it and not enough low end. The Invader is great for death metal.