Yeah, learn to play.

Seriously, bad technique = bad tone.

You could have the most amazing rig ever but if you play like crap, you'll sound like crap.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah, learn to play.

You could have the most amazing rig ever but if you play like crap, you'll sound like crap.

depends ... i sound shit nd im james hetfield!
Quote by Poglia
I suggest using 3 finger power chords instead of 2 and add distortion.

they sound just bout the same.

dude...maybe you're bending your strings. Watch for that.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah, learn to play.

bad technique doesnt exactly equal bad tone. it just means dissonence and other bad shit. but not bad tone.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
I was surprised nobody said intonation first thing. A way to check is if you have a chromatic tuner play each note on the fretboard and see how close it comes, or play the same tone, so check the 5th fret of your E string to your open A string, then the 7th fret of your A string to your open E string, then 2nd fret of your D string to your open E string. If each of those tones coupled aren't the same tone, then you have Intonation problems.

Another thing, if your action is to high, it can also affect intonation, I wouldn't suggest adjusting it without doing a little google research. www.fretnotguitarrepair.com tends to have some exceptional guitar adjustment notes.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by stratdud39
that link was pointless.
try sending us a link with you playing a power chord instead.
you could be doing a billion things wrong, but we dont know what it is cuz wee cant hear your powerchords.

Actually the list is quite shorter than that, but in truth, we would have to hold the guitar and know what we were doing. Videos could help, but a sound clip wouldn't accomplish much. To be honest, a lot of guitarists on here don't seem to know much about their instrument, or they know their instrument all too well. It's kinda like america's economy, either you are really rich or really poor. The middle doesn't so much exist.

Another thing about these forum's is too many times, I see a thread opened that somebody could have simply googled their question and saved others time and effort. We do live in the age of information after all.

It could simply be technique, intonation, action screwing off intonation, or a warped neck. If you can think of more, let me know, but I count 4, definitely no where near a billion.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
If its intonation not hard to fix. If its technique then you have your work cut out. Its pretty easy to press to hard when fretting and throw 1 or more notes sharp and make power chords under distortion sound bad.