Page 1 of 2
I believe the saying goes, 'Often replicated, never duplicated.'

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well it's kinda like are photos better on film or straight to digital? Some people just need to have the physical amp for it to feel right.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I believe the saying goes, 'Often replicated, never duplicated.'

Tis true!

I mean i think you'll always be able to tell the difference. And what would you rarther listen to?
and I believe that we're not psychics here.
It's possible, but I don't think a lot of people would rather walk onto a stage with a wall of laptops than a wall of 4 x 12's
I think eventually it'll be close enough that the difference will be virtually indistinguishable. Its inevitable.

But currently, its not the case.
Well being an avid user of both, I can say this: Right now they're good, for recording for an example. I can get some sweet tones out of them. To me they're great for duclicating recorded tones. For an example I can get tones that sounds spot on like records. But now they don't feel as lievely as a rea amp. They have the tone, but not the feel. That's what's so hard to capture: The feel of an amp. But it's possible they will eventually.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Zeppelin_1223
It's possible, but I don't think a lot of people would rather walk onto a stage with a wall of laptops than a wall of 4 x 12's

lol bands have set up walls of hollow amps before. They could always just put the laptop behind them
very good question actually, i dont thinkamps will ever die out just like records never died out in spite of numerous more convenient forms of audio being invented constantly, alot of people (including myself) stillfind the sound of a record much more satisfying than that of a cd/mp3 etc.

Plus the more technology evolves the more problems can occur, so yeah... i've answered nothing really...
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by Zeppelin_1223

Coming from a guy who used to lug 4x12s around to gigs, I think I'd rather the laptop.

Until the day comes where they replicate every single nuiance and the actual feel of a tube amp, I'll stick with my Deluxe.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yes, one day they will be 'superior', whatever that means.
Tone is subjective, just like some photographers use film and develop it, many also use digital technology, and non-professionals almost uniformly go digital.
Analog will never be outdated, but one day digital will be considered equal and may, one day become the industry standard.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Coming from a guy who used to lug 4x12s around to gigs, I think I'd rather the laptop.

Until the day comes where they replicate every single nuiance and the actual feel of a tube amp, I'll stick with my Deluxe.

Yeah, well, when you have the roadies to do it, why not?
Quote by Zeppelin_1223
Yeah, well, when you have the roadies to do it, why not?

I'll keep wishing.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Gabel
Well being an avid user of both, I can say this: Right now they're good, for recording for an example. I can get some sweet tones out of them. To me they're great for duclicating recorded tones. For an example I can get tones that sounds spot on like records. But now they don't feel as lievely as a rea amp. They have the tone, but not the feel. That's what's so hard to capture: The feel of an amp. But it's possible they will eventually.

That's basically how I feel. I don't think software will ever be as responsive as a good tube amp, or just feel the same to play on. It may sound the same even when the player is listening back, but when you're actually playing software it just doesn't feel the same.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
That's basically how I feel. I don't think software will ever be as responsive as a good tube amp, or just feel the same to play on. It may sound the same even when the player is listening back, but when you're actually playing software it just doesn't feel the same.

Exactly. And theres a reason too. Digital only works so far. It is the way it's programed. On a real amp there are SO many variables to the sound. Like how you are facing the amp, how it's facing, what it's standing on, how close you are and so on. These things aren't in these simulations for an example. Also keep in mind a simulation is digital, meaning that it has limits as I said. An analog amp does not have these limits in the same sense.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

No, there's just too much randomness in tubes. They could probably get extremely close, but there's still gonna be people who can tell the difference immediately. Plus, I like to have a bunch of speakers moving the air behind me, it just feels great.
Quote by Zeppelin_1223

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by mmolteratx
No, there's just too much randomness in tubes. They could probably get extremely close, but there's still gonna be people who can tell the difference immediately. Plus, I like to have a bunch of speakers moving the air behind me, it just feels great.

Why would you not be able to hook up cabs onto a computer?

But still, I don't think it's the same. It may get really close, but tubes are just very distinct in their working...
Call me different,but I believe it's possible in the future.Perhaps a long way more,but I think it's possible.Who knew that you could have moving pictures in a box many years ago?The day software become as good as real amps could come one day.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
Call me different,but I believe it's possible in the future.Perhaps a long way more,but I think it's possible.Who knew that you could have moving pictures in a box many years ago?The day software become as good as real amps could come one day.

I actually think we're getting there. The feel of an amp si VERY hard torecreate, because it has to do a lot with the psycial parts of the amp. But now the tone is almost dead on and soon you're not going to tell the difference (even if you can today, it is still very close).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

It'll happen. The guitar world is very conservative and stuck in the past though, so it'll take a while.
Will never happen. They can't even build guitars and amps now that have as good of a Tone as original 60's and vintage equipment.

You can get "close" to Page, Hendrix, SRV, ect. ect. with modern equipment...... but if you want the real deal you have to go Vintage.

So I can't see any new technology taking over. Sound processors can record and replicate..... but they won't be able to deliver that Live sound. You feel a good amp just as much as you hear it.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Whether its better or not, digital will be on top
General rule is its cheaper,
Its the reason why everybody buy's spiders these days instead of having a massive pedal board. People see it as being easier, especially with having presets.

That being said, it will never be better, it will just be preferred
When you consider price issues, digital comes out tops pretty much.

For example my Line6 Toneport with Gearbox and GuitarRig gives epic win tonez. I've pretty much nailed the Dani California tone, and epic cleans are easily available. Dirty tones are harder to perfect by but for my distortion I like rocky, punchy Marshall tones so that's also pretty easy to achieve. Not as good as my Laney, but for £50? It's a steal. Stupidly superior to any practice amp in that price range.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^Exactly!

Also it is a great tool. What happens if you come up with some great riffs? You have to lug out the amp, mic it up, so on and so on. With these you can record straight into the computer.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Bass amps have been much quicker in the uptake with this sort of technology. A Markbass F1 may not exactly nail the SVT sound, but it's a tiny fraction of the weight, size and price. It's certainly close enough to be making people get rid of their old tube heads.

I'm sure it'll be the same with software - just the next step.
Last edited by smb at Sep 22, 2008,
Quote by Gabel
^Exactly!

Also it is a great tool. What happens if you come up with some great riffs? You have to lug out the amp, mic it up, so on and so on. With these you can record straight into the computer.
'sactly.

Do you have a way of recording from Guitar Rig to the computer? I can't figure out a way to. I have Audacity; Mixcraft; Ableton Live... And I can't work out what to do :S Mixcraft works with Gearbox though.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
It will get better than tubes in the future, in fact Neither Tubes or Transistors would be used in the future, things are more than likely to be invented.
Gear
-ENGL Fireball Head
-Vader Cab 2X12
-Maxon OD-808
-MXR-10 Band EQ

ESP Custom 25.5" Scale
-Duncan Distortion SH-6 (B)
-Duncan 59 SH-1 (N)
A lot of Motley Crue's new album was just recorded with software, not the real amps, so i have to say, yes it can. Live? probably not.

edit: i know he didnt use guitar rig or amplitube, but it was some other software. There was a whole article and interview about it in the GC catalog. lmao
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Sep 22, 2008,
well the reason why a real amp just sounds and feels that much better than any software package is because the speakers physically move air, which is a vital part of getting that 'real' sound. I belive that software will become powerful enough that it will become very hard to tell the difference, but maybe thats only going to be useful in studios, and with big PA's. Smaller bands will always need a nice 'ole tube amp.... thank god
Having things more electronic takes away the feel of things. Eg, watching a recorded version of a theatre, or seeing the theatre live.
I think one day, when the technology is advanced enough (think Moore's law and it's pretty much inevitable...) a digital amp will give ultimate in tone; on all range of styles and sounds.

However, I think that day will only come when digital amps stop trying to emulate other amps and cabs, and find their own sound.

EDIT:
Quote by jacobparker
Having things more electronic takes away the feel of things. Eg, watching a recorded version of a theatre, or seeing the theatre live.

Would this be the case if a digital amp was onstage, hooked up to a couple of 4x12's?

And being played, of course.

By someone good.
Last edited by Mathamology at Sep 22, 2008,
Well in the original recording forum I've been given kudos for my lead tone a few times. Thing is...I plug my guitar straight into the comp and use the GarageBand distortion/effects.....sooo what does that tell you?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Page 1 of 2