Hi, im looking for a new guitar soon (you may of seen my thread) and i've taken an interest in the lespaul studio.
Being a lead metal player i need to know a couple things in order for me to decide to go try one out...
- Is the neck very fat? (width and thickness)
- Can the action be set low even on higher frets without buzz and intonation screwupage?

I think thats all, appreciate your help
You want to play metal yet you want a Les Paul?

When I played metal, the last thing I wanted was a Les Paul, especially since the necks on most models are huge.

The Studio has the '50's rounded which is pretty fat.

Low action will always have buzz to an extent.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Worked for Matt Heafy on Ascendancy album. Besides, if you can shred on a les paul, you can shred on anything.

I think the 60s slim taper necks are youre best option
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Schecter, Ibanez or ESP for you
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Umm...why don't you look at the ESP Eclipse models?
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Worked for Matt Heafy on Ascendancy album. Besides, if you can shred on a les paul, you can shred on anything.

I think the 60s slim taper necks are youre best option

Les Paul Studio =/= 60s slim taper.

Matt Heafy is big, his hands are big, he could reach, he had EMG pickups.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
my tone requirments arent very brutal at all, metallica type sounds id say (they use lespauls? :S) and my lead is pretty bluesy, ie no crazy sweeping so i think the lespaul will be ok for me. Depending on the things i mentioned really...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Les Paul Studio =/= 60s slim taper.

Matt Heafy is big, his hands are big, he could reach, he had EMG pickups.

I know, i was thinking more an SG or a classic les paul (i think), but that neck for Gibsons.

But yeah, the other brands suggested may suit you better
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by vitchb
my tone requirments arent very brutal at all, metallica type sounds id say (they use lespauls? :S) and my lead is pretty bluesy, ie no crazy sweeping so i think the lespaul will be ok for me. Depending on the things i mentioned really...

Guitar =/= how to get the sound.

Plus, they use Les Pauls very infrequently. Kirk uses them for Fade to Black, Welcome Home and others.

He uses ESP M series guitars most of the time.

You want Metallisound? Get Metalliamps.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Guitar =/= how to get the sound.

Plus, they use Les Pauls very infrequently. Kirk uses them for Fade to Black, Welcome Home and others.

He uses ESP M series guitars most of the time.

You want Metallisound? Get Metalliamps.

I like the sound i have now, im not trying to sound like metallica, im just giving you an idea what my tone is like.

Are the LTD eclipses any good (build quality), because i just cant afford a real ESP though i wish i could
Quote by vitchb
I like the sound i have now, im not trying to sound like metallica, im just giving you an idea what my tone is like.

Are the LTD eclipses any good (build quality), because i just cant afford a real ESP though i wish i could

The 500s and up are great.

Check out the EC500, amazing guitar for what you pay.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
i very much into this at the moment.

But would somebody please convice me LTD's are acceptable for me lol... theres just a mental block there for me.
Quote by vitchb
i very much into this at the moment.

But would somebody please convice me LTD's are acceptable for me lol... theres just a mental block there for me.

How about you grow up, stop worrying about brand names and buy the EC1000 before I hurt you.

does that work?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
That's a really great guitar, especially considering the price. It's probably better than an LP studio.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
isnt the brand name thing, its just that i fear the LTD's arent as much quality guitars as id like it to be, or is that just not true? I just want something that will last me you se...
Quote by vitchb
isnt the brand name thing, its just that i fear the LTD's arent as much quality guitars as id like it to be, or is that just not true? I just want something that will last me you se...

I think you're thinking too 'Epiphone by Gibson'

LTD guitars will DESTROY ANY GUITAR IN THEIR PRICE RANGE.

That means Jackson, Schecter, lower end Gibsons, Epiphone, Dean et cetera.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I think you're thinking too 'Epiphone by Gibson'

LTD guitars will DESTROY ANY GUITAR IN THEIR PRICE RANGE.

That means Jackson, Schecter, lower end Gibsons, Epiphone, Dean et cetera.

Okay kool. Only thing is... the nearest place i can try a LTD ec is like 200 miles away. Are they good enough to buy blind?
Quote by vitchb
Okay kool. Only thing is... the nearest place i can try a LTD ec is like 200 miles away. Are they good enough to buy blind?

They're CnC'd so they all play the same.

Be sure to try at least one LTD guitar. You might not like the neck profile. It is quite thin.

I would never buy anything blind though.

Especially not a Gibson.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
i've only played an entry level LTD, if sure it will play better than that, well... id hope so anyway.
Want to know how well LTD's play? I just chose one over the ESP equivilent.

I'll admit although the LTD Viper-400 witch i got is completley solid, the ESP Viper was completley emactulate. But the ESP had a chunky neck and the LTD didn't. And they sounded very almost exatly the same, you had to really concentrate to tell them apart, end neither one was worse, just differant

If you go for the LTD 400 series and above you can't go wrong
[quote="'']Want to know how well LTD's play? I just chose one over the ESP equivilent.

I'll admit although the LTD Viper-400 witch i got is completley solid, the ESP Viper was completley emactulate. But the ESP had a chunky neck and the LTD didn't. And they sounded very almost exatly the same, you had to really concentrate to tell them apart, end neither one was worse, just differant

If you go for the LTD 400 series and above you can't go wrong
Aren't ESPs hand made though? That would explain why it's different from a factory cut LTD.

TS, honestly dude, just because it's a gibson doesn't mean it is teh br00t4lz!! Or the best guitar out there. I say go with the LTD.
well ill say that the ltd EC1000 is something i will certainly consider, ill do my best to try one out still though.
If it plays as well as my washburn id be very happy then even, and thats a £300 guitar, although i think that guitar is an exception, cant belive they charge such little for that thing still...
i'm surprised you want a studio for metal. i mean i can understand using a sg or explorer. but if you perfer the les paul shape then you're wayy better off getting the ltd eclipse. me and my bandmate found it pretty worthwhile.