Hey, its been a while since i was at the forums here... anways..

I have a problem with my hearing. I don't know the technical term for it in english, but my problem is picking out the individual notes in rapid guitar play.

I don't have too many limitations technically, but I don't have the fingers of Petrucci either.

So, I have about 2 months to learn "glasgow Kiss" by john petrucci, (coz there's a school show thats taking place, and I'm going to audition for the guitar lead) and I'm not about to indignify myself to the point of sitting down to learn it note for note by tab. I don't have any problems with the easy parts (intro etc.) but the sweeping and fast picking throws off.

So, I need a fast way to improve on my hearing (I don't mind practicing 6-7 hours a day for the next couple of months, but i want to have some structure to it so its easier to notice the improvements and thereby motivating me further.

Bear in mind that I don't have an option in regards to song choice, because I attend the music highschool in my city, and nothing of lesser technical difficulty will get me in. And the only reason that song is enough, is because the guy who picks the ones who gets to play is a friend of mine.

On beforehand, thanks
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I'm not trying to look open minded, in fact I try not to be open minded.
I hate people who are overly open minded.
Well, if you really want the part, and you are struggling, I would suggest losing some dignity and looking up what happens in the sweeps. You still have to learn to play a challenging piece, and perfecting the sweeps in 2 months is enough of a challenge anyway.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Well, say I could use the first month to improve the hearing? It will only go faster the second month since it takes less time learning a song by hearing than by tab. Also, when I learn by tab i find that I lose sense of timing on a lot of notes etc.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
Quote by Guitar-freak

I have a problem with my hearing. I don't know the technical term for it in english, but my problem is picking out the individual notes in rapid guitar play.

I don't have too many limitations technically, but I don't have the fingers of Petrucci either.

So, I have about 2 months to learn "glasgow Kiss" by john petrucci, (coz there's a school show thats taking place, and I'm going to audition for the guitar lead) and I'm not about to indignify myself to the point of sitting down to learn it note for note by tab.

I got to here, then stopped.
Grow the fuck up.
Quote by Guitar-freak

I don't have too many limitations technically

Don't be so sure. Everybody usually does and from the sound of it you do too.

Quote by Guitar-freak

So, I need a fast way to improve on my hearing

It's probably not your "hearing". And if you need a "fast way", you might be in
trouble. There aren't any I know of.

Quote by Guitar-freak

I attend the music highschool in my city, and nothing of lesser technical difficulty will get me in.

What kind of "music" school demands technical difficulty over the ability to
interpret material that's within your capabilities? If that's really the case you're
only trying to involve yourself with a sick system. Maybe you're better off avoiding
it.
Essentially the easiest way to do it would be to look at existing tabs, or slowing the song down to half speed and doing it that way. Or you could swat up on your musicology and learn the overall sounds of scales shapes and then you could recognise the notes from the sound of the entire sweep and work out the notes on the basis of what scale(s) he is using
Quote by Guitar-freak

So, I have about 2 months to learn "glasgow Kiss" by john petrucci, (coz there's a school show thats taking place, and I'm going to audition for the guitar lead) and I'm not about to indignify myself to the point of sitting down to learn it note for note by tab. I don't have any problems with the easy parts (intro etc.) but the sweeping and fast picking throws off.

So, I need a fast way to improve on my hearing (I don't mind practicing 6-7 hours a day for the next couple of months, but i want to have some structure to it so its easier to notice the improvements and thereby motivating me further.

Bear in mind that I don't have an option in regards to song choice, because I attend the music highschool in my city, and nothing of lesser technical difficulty will get me in. And the only reason that song is enough, is because the guy who picks the ones who gets to play is a friend of mine.

On beforehand, thanks

you want to get a better ear? I don't mean to offend you, but I would suggest that you throw that dignity crap out the window. If you can't learn Glasgow Kiss by ear, then accept that you're not that good yet, and learn it however you can. Eventually, if your ego lets you, you will become good enough to learn things like that by ear. In the meantime, work on learning things by ear that are realistic for you.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, Im not much for candy coating things. It takes awhile to get good at guitar. Accept that, and move forward at a pace thats realistic for you.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 22, 2008,
My point was never that I won't bother to learn by tab, my point was that I've been playing guitar for too long for this to still be a problem

Jeez, people at this forum were never forgiving for what they percieved as superior behavour but its only gotten worse over the past year hasn't it?

Well, thanks for the constructive answers anyways
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
Quote by Guitar-freak
My point was never that I won't bother to learn by tab, my point was that I've been playing guitar for too long for this to still be a problem

Jeez, people at this forum were never forgiving for what they percieved as superior behavour but its only gotten worse over the past year hasn't it?

Well you are coming across as having a rather superior attitude when you say that to learn from a tab would indignify yourself, regardless of what your point may be.

Anyway, it's incredibly difficult to do what you're talking about. So do what the professional tabbers do. Use either software or hardware to slow the music down making the notes easier to distinguish. From there you should be fine.
Quote by Guitar-freak

But you obviously haven't otherwise you wouldn't have bothered posting - just accept that you're not as good as you think you are and use the tab.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
But you obviously haven't otherwise you wouldn't have bothered posting - just accept that you're not as good as you think you are and use the tab.

seriously..... +1
Quote by Guitar-freak

I dont perceive your unjustified egotisical attitude as superior behaviour at all.
Omg, whats so hard about understanding that im saying that i have had a crap development at my hearing of individual notes compared to my technical development, simply because i've been only using tabs mostly, and that i wanted to improve on that.

As for the technical part, I have no problems saying that I'm good, coz I am, but neither have I said that I'm the next Hendrix.

So for the love of god....

And your comment, Just accept that you're not as good as you think you are, is the stupidest thing i've ever heard since I WOULDN'T have bothered posting if I thought my hearing skills were any good. Lol... I never even once implied I was any good at picking up songs by ear.

Edit: Oh, and getting into a flaming-war on this forum over a post in which I never intended to come off as either superior or egotistical, a post that was my first post in this forum for over a year, when I had a genuine problem with which i needed help with something, reminds me why I left this forum of prepuscent teenagers without social antennas.

And yes, "why did I bother posting here then?"

Well, I had forgotten. Sorry for having regained my faith in ultimate-guitar again.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
Last edited by Guitar-freak at Sep 23, 2008,
Figuring out songs like that are tough. Just look it up like a normal person and let your ego aside.

You don't take a novice who's been playing for two months and then teach him how to play "Arpeggios From Hell" by Maalmsteen. It makes sense to start off on an easier song. The same applies to figuring out songs by ear. If you say you have a crap ear, why the hell would you try to figure out a song that most of UG would have difficulty figuring out?
I hope your guitar has 24 frets if you wanna learn glasgow kiss. I was realy getting into it and had learnt most of it then i got up to a bit with bending on the 24th fret i have a 22 fret guitar so i couldnt carry on, it sucked.
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
Quote by Guitar-freak

I'm trying to be constructive here. That's EXACTLY one of the major mindsets that
hold people back (and you're not the only one, probably most people do this to some
extent if not a lot). All you have is a problem. Time playing or the level you think
you've reached doesn't guarantee any particular problem will be solved.

In fact, that might be what separates the advanced player. They finally realize its
mostly the simple things that need to be mastered and that what they thought was
simple skill mastered was just the illusion of it.