Would you say that I should learn the fretboard before I start working on learning more theory? It seems like it would be easier to learn the fretboard before theory, but I want some input.
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
It depends on how much time your willing to put into it, I learned basic theory and the notes on the fretboard at the same time. If you learn theory, you obviously going to want to implement it, so knowing the notes within scales and on the fretboard are important.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
knowing the notes of the fretboard is imperative to playing guitar/applying theory, but that doesn't take that long to memorize, since its just the chromatic scale starting in different positions essentially. I'd say knowing one isn't really more important than the other if guitar is your focus, but you could compose a symphony without ever picking up an instrument if you understand theory.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Quote by AgentWiggles
Would you say that I should learn the fretboard before I start working on learning more theory? It seems like it would be easier to learn the fretboard before theory, but I want some input.

^ for sure. There is alot you can do to get prepared to learn theory. I consider these to be VERY important:

1) have a repertoire of music that you can play well and by memory

2) know how to read music proficiently

3) know the notes on the neck
shred is gaudy music
It isn't required for learning theory. It is required to apply theory to the guitar.

My interest in music theory supplements my guitar playing but the guitar isn't the primary reason I learn it.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by AgentWiggles

i'd just say learn as much as possible, instead of wondering what to learn.

the order i learned,

frets 0-5 note names
aeolian shape
ionian shape
modal names
all the modal shapes
then the rest just like came to me.
I'll just add my 2 cents too, the way I started to really learn a lot of music theory was a combination of three things.

1. At first most of what I learned was through the use of patterns, patterns for scales and patterns for chords. Now a lot of people will probably say this is a bad idea and I would disagree. It is very easy for beginning guitarist to start off playing patterns so that are actively engaged in playing the guitar instead of learning notes etc.

2. Learning the notes on the neck, took me quite a while to get somewhat familiar with the notes on the fretboard, I still could be faster in finding notes and such but i'm happy with this for now.

3. Getting to grips with intervals, this was where things really started to come together for me.

I would say that if someone uses just one of these methods they may be pretty limited eg using only patterns is bad, but starting there and then moving on to learning note names and interval structures is a good way to go about it I think, it is what has worked for me, hope that helped