Hello fellow UG'ers!

I've been looking to get a pedal to add a bit of smoothness and dirt to my Rocker 30 when I play lead.

ATM I have a nice clean boost which also adds a bit of bass (can be found here if you're interested, the name is riiculously long) - Unfortunatley, the gain and breakup this adds isn't quite enough for my lead tone, and is really at it's best when boosting crunchy or clean sounds. So I need another pedal. One with a bit of dirt that I can add and not just a clean boost. Any ideas UG? The tone I have is very british and Oasisy sounding, but I want to boost that into the sort of tone that Paul Gilbert has (like this for example). My budget is near enough unlimited, the stuff I'm buying now is not going to be replaced any time soon.

Thanks!

I'd get some sort of OD and push the level all the way and very little gain, and tone to taste, try that.
^^Very ordinary TBH. I tried one and It really wan't what I was looking for. I really also would like it to be able to work in conjunction with my clean boost to some degree, if that's possible, and the TS didn't do it very well cheers for the suggestion though.

^Yes, that's what I'm planning to do. Can you suggest any to look at?
Maybe another clean boost right along side it? LPB-1 has tons of boost and when you turn it past halfway it starts to add some gain, up until that point it has quite a bit of clean boost. I use one with my TS and it's gold.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I'll take it into account, but I don't think two clean boosts are going to give me the tone I'm looking for. I was thinking some sort of Fulltone, but I'm not familiar with their products past the OCD, any suggestions there?
i haven't tried fulltone, but hbe make some nice higher gain overdrive/distortions which still have good tone. possibly the powerscreamer? would be worth trying in addition to whatever else you're trying, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
BBE GREEN SCREAMER.

That pedal is awesome. Its like a tubescreamer, but modded so its even more awesome than a tubescreamer.
Quote by shtiming
BBE GREEN SCREAMER.

That pedal is awesome. Its like a tubescreamer, but modded so its even more awesome than a tubescreamer.

TS, if you don't like tubescreamers you're not gonna like this, it's more of the same.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
There is an OD/Boost thread somewhere around here.

Also, if you dont mind a completely biased opinoin, check out the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. It is a OD and a clean boost in one. But you blend the settings instead of switching. I know you say you have a clean boost already, but check one out if you get a chance. Nifty lil pedal.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
there are a couple that are good.
low budget (40$-70$)
Boss Super Overdrive
Digitech Bad Monkey or Screamin Blues
Danelectro Daddy O. Overdrive Pedal
Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker II Pedal

average Budget (70$-125$)
Ibanez TS9
MXR GT-OD custom shop Overdrive
BBE Green Screamer
Boss Dyna Drive
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive

High Budget (125$-200$)
MI Audio Crunch Box Distortion Pedal
Vox Satchurator
Ibanez TS-808
Radial Tonebone Hot British Distortion

Insane Budget (200+)
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor Overdrive
Chandler Tube Driver
Maxon Real Tube Overdrive
T-Rex Michael Angelo Batio Overdrive
Damage Control Liquid Blues Overdrive

i suggest going with the lower budget stuff. the best OD i have ever tried (they dont make 'em anymore) is the Tubeworks Real Tube pedal. it just sounds like awesome.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 22, 2008,
Call me crazy but I would try an MXR 10 band EQ. Using its output control you can add more gain, and I'm pretty sure you can get it more gritty by boosting/cutting the right frequencies.

I don't recommend a digitech Bad Monkey to make it more gritty. In fact, it really tightens up and smoothens distortion on my amp. So yes, its cheap but why not give it a try for a smoother OD?
WTLTL 2011
Get either the Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor or the Chandler Tube Driver. They'll give you plenty of gain and boost.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Bartdevil - I'm not familiar with these pedals but I've heard good things. If you are looking for something different give Seymour Duncan pedals a look. Maybe someone could comment further on the Lava Box or Power Grid.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/effects-pedals/

There is also a new 'The Only OD/Disty Thread somewhere not too far back that desperately needs a bump.
I take back what I said before. Get the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic pedal. I've tried it and it's really great.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Last edited by VoodooCow229 at Sep 21, 2008,
^ Ooh that one looked really cool. You should definitely give that one a look, TS.

I think Guitar World had a nice demo of it on youtube somewhere.
Mxr Gt Od
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Thanks for the replies guys, this is a great help

Now I can get to trying some of these out! The ones that interest me especially are the Chandler, VoodooLabs and Seymour Duncan, but I don't think I'm going to be able to try those as my shop doesn't stock them. Oh well, to Youtube and HC I guess.
Quote by Mark G
Call me crazy but I would try an MXR 10 band EQ. Using its output control you can add more gain, and I'm pretty sure you can get it more gritty by boosting/cutting the right frequencies.

I don't recommend a digitech Bad Monkey to make it more gritty. In fact, it really tightens up and smoothens distortion on my amp. So yes, its cheap but why not give it a try for a smoother OD?

+1 an EQ pedal in your effeccts loop adds so much more versatility to your amp, to changing frequencies to sculpt your tone, giving yourself an insane treble boosted drive, or even boosting the level a bit when you hit a solo. An eq pedal should be one of the first pedal anyone buys
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ClementWave
Boost to add some gain eh?

The Zvex Super hard-on or Super Duper 2-in-1

have a look at them

You don't have to ignore me you know, The Super hard on is an incredibly good booster pedal that boosts AND adds varying levels of gain
Quote by bartdevil_metal
^A nice idea, but my amp doesn't have an FX loop
The MXR 10-Band still works wonders in the effects chain.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Thanks for the replies guys, this is a great help

Now I can get to trying some of these out! The ones that interest me especially are the Chandler, VoodooLabs and Seymour Duncan, but I don't think I'm going to be able to try those as my shop doesn't stock them. Oh well, to Youtube and HC I guess.

yeah, the sparkle drive is cool because you can dial in the unaffected signal to have some punch from the clean that you lose somewhat when you dirty up an amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by ClementWave
You don't have to ignore me you know, The Super hard on is an incredibly good booster pedal that boosts AND adds varying levels of gain

Sorry man, must've missed it. zVex was one of the brands I thought of, but I was going to go with the box of rock. Has the Super hard on got a type of drive that would go well with a British sound? I'm considering getting an American voiced pedal (or one with an adjustable voicing) to compliment the mid hump with a dark scooped boost.