I've got to do some awesome interviews of people for my english class. I don't know anyone that is in college and I need to interview a college person for this assignment.
I know plenty of you pitmonkeys are in college, wanna help a guy out?

1) Age range and sex of individual
2) In regard to your job or work (or classes), what kind of writing does the person do on a daily basis?
3) What advice would you give a high school English student about learning to write in the classroom?
4) Is knowing how to write important beyond high school? Be specific.

Please be somewhat detailed in your answers, ie. more than yes/no
pitmonkeys? Well, i must say, i am offended. My advice is probably to get off out of the pit, and *gasp* go to a college, maybe, instead of asking a person whom could be of any age.
I don't thonk I count but whatever.

21 - male
2) In regard to your job or work (or classes), what kind of writing does the person do on a daily basis?
Depends sometimes it is best to pay attention and the read some books, but writing stuff down can be usefull
3) What advice would you give a high school English student about learning to write in the classroom?
Just pay attention learn to read the bibliography (sp???) because those books aren't usually too friendly.
4) Is knowing how to write important beyond high school?
It 's important because it helps to put your ideas on a more specific way, that will allow you to communicate them.

By the way I'm a Math major.
1) Age range and sex of individual: 20, dude.
We hardly write in classes cuz we've all got laptops and all our lecture notes are online. But its still good to note down some important points on your work book n stuff... Some people type it in their laptop.

Its good to write down important points you hear in the lectures. They'll make you pay attention during the lecture and it'll massively help you during your exam time!

Yes yes yes it is.
You have written exams where you've gotta write shit loads in a very short amount of time.
Also for making notes, writing songs, writing on toilet cubicles etc...

and to add, i'm in med school...
1) Age range and sex of individual 23, male
2) In regard to your job or work (or classes), what kind of writing does the person do on a daily basis? Academic writing such as homework for class, professional writing- emails to professors, etc., personal writing- im's, myspace, etc., journaling, creative writing, etc.
3) What advice would you give a high school English student about learning to write in the classroom? learn to write for different reasons and in different styles and practice them regularly. it might not seem like you will ever need the things you are doing in high school but writing always seems to show it's ugly head.
writing is important because it allows you to communicate your ideas clearly. if it is writing a critical essay on the situation in south africa or just giving your buddy directions to a party, you have to be able to get what you're trying to say across as clearly as possible. even if you don't go on to be some great author or something like that, you'll need to be able to be an effective writer
me fail english? that's unpossible!
1) Age range and sex of individual 16, Male
2) In regard to your job or work (or classes), what kind of writing does the person do on a daily basis?Mostly note taking and the odd English assignment.
Don't use cheesy introductions. A lot of the shortcuts they teach you in high school like plugging in your topic question in your thesis aren't effective with your professor.
Sort of. If you're an English major of course you need it, but it's always nice to know how to write for a history research paper.

I'm a college freshman. No major yet.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Last edited by shut_up_n00b at Sep 21, 2008,
19, Male

Lots of note taking, occasionally some lyrical songwriting

Do it, grades come so much easier when you know how to write intelligently. Sounding good with little substance always gets a better grade than lots of substance but sounding like an idiot.

It's definitely important in College, pretty much every class has you writing essays/reports. (In fact I'm putting off writing three right now, not one of them is for an English class) After that I can't really say, since I'm only in college and doing gruntwork for a job.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Sorry, too personal...
Mostly note-taking.
Either learn to write super fast and write everything down or learn to pick out what things are worth it and only write down those.
It is, because most professors I know won't even read your paper if it's not written decently. Guess what grade you get if your professor won't read your paper?

P.S.

I go to college
That makes me so cool
I live in a dorm
And show off by the pool

I join the right clubs
Just to build an impression
I block out thinking
It won't get me ahead

My ambition in life
Is to look good on paper
All I want is a slot
In some big corporation

No, I'm not here to learn
I just want to get drunk
And major in business
And be taught how to fuck
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
Do it, grades come so much easier when you know how to write intelligently. Sounding good with little substance always gets a better grade than lots of substance but sounding like an idiot.

LOL! The art of BS... The story of my high school English classes. But once high school is over, yeah, it's good to be able to articulate your thought process well on paper.

I saw it explained well on some other message board. The poster wrote something like, "No matter what your major (in college), being able to write well says to potential employers, 'Hey, I won't embarrass your company because I don't know how to sling two coherent sentences together.'"
"But first...are you...experienced?"
I'm crazy jealous of you!
I wish I was in college..
Well technically Uni
call me Shelby

Quote by ShelbyLynn
I'm crazy jealous of you!
I wish I was in college..
Well technically Uni

you'll be someday....
You've just gotta persevere!!!!
3 years! Woot!... If I keep my grades up!
I have my heart set on a certain uni too, since the 8th grade lol
call me Shelby

18 Male
You will likely have a paper at elast every other day in some class or another, and if you can't write well it takes a long time to get your stuff down on paper

Don't just learn in the classroom.
Read as many books as you can without compromising your homework time!!! Especially world lit.

Yes. If you know how to write, you can work outside of McDonalds. If you write an effective and clear e-mail to your boss asking for a week off in june, you'll get it. If you address him in the hallway he'll be annoyed. If you can't write no one listens to what you say
1) Age range and sex of individual - 20, m

2) In regard to your job or work (or classes), what kind of writing does the person do on a daily basis? - Mainly research papers on different topics. Or for this one psych class, we read a case study and write up a diagnosis and give reasons for it.

3) What advice would you give a high school English student about learning to write in the classroom? - Prewrite. Try to get the main points and evidence to support those points down before you start writing. And think about the writing of other people. Like, REALLY think about how the author gets the topics of paragraphs to lead into other paragraphs.

4) Is knowing how to write important beyond high school? Be specific. - Yes. Even if you're just emailing co-workers or classmates and aren't actually defending some kind of point, being able to concisely and fully express something on paper makes things run smoother.
"But first...are you...experienced?"
24 male

notes, general bullshit. i usually fill up 2 or 3 full pages of notes per class. usually a whole legal pad per semester.(im a economics student though, very math based) law case studies are my bulk of writing.

learn to write good structured essays fast. lots of tests are 2 or 3 questions that you must write 2 or 3 paragraphs on. learn to flow your thoughts well. be able to think you essay out before writing it so you dont go off topic and ramble then be stuck with 250 words that have nothing to do with the question at hand.

yes, yes, and.. yes. the better you write the smarter you sound when doing class work, applying for jobs, writing memos or whatnot for work. everything, the better you can write the better off you will be.
Quote by RPGoof
I've got to do some awesome interviews of people for my english class. I don't know anyone that is in college and I need to interview a college person for this assignment.
I know plenty of you pitmonkeys are in college, wanna help a guy out?

1. 18, male

2. In addition to the writings I do for school every day, I also write 1-2 news articles for UG every night.

3. I would say get familiar with Parts of Speech. That comes in handy more than you'll ever even realize.

4. Absolutely. Reading someone's writing is one of the fastest and easiest way to tell how educated someone is. If your resume is littered with spelling errors, your employer could very well just laugh and toss it in the trash. It's all about professionalism.
19, female
I do a lot of writing mainly for two of my classes. My International Studies class and Sociology class requires a weekly journal entry.
Be careful not to write the way you speak. If you say "gonna" or "wanna" make sure that doesn't end up in a paper you're writing. English class is very important when it comes to writing. It's an everyday thing and you WILL need it.
Yes it is. You know how people are always asking "when am i ever going to need this?" well writing is one of those things that you definitely need. Even if you're a musician, writing comes into play somewhere. No matter what you do, you'll need writing skills.
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
1) Age range and sex of individual: 21 years old male.

2) In regard to your job or work (or classes), what kind of writing does the person do on a daily basis? Critical writing and analysis.

3) What advice would you give a high school English student about learning to write in the classroom? Be careful with spelling, avoid run-ons. Be clear and concise.

4) Is knowing how to write important beyond high school? Be specific. Yes it is. In the perspective of writing reports, articles, concept analysis, you have to know how to write efficiently. A good pen is a very useful asset that's worth the hassle.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
1) Age range and sex of individual: 21 year old male

I'm studying Electrical Engineering, so for the classes for the major, I'm doing math almost entirely. I am taking a technical writing class, but we're only really learning about rhetorical devices and strategies, which is what AP English Language was supposed to have taught me. When I actually enter the field, I'll have to write lab reports and such, but reporting data is a lot different than writing critical analyses of literature.

Don't be verbose. People can tell when you're just trying to make an essay longer. Essays are like miniskirts; they should be long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep your interest. Also, don't use a word that hardly anybody will know if you can use a simple word to communicate the same idea.

Knowing how to communicate effectively, appropriately, and precisely is the most important skill you will ever learn. Being able to communicate exactly what you mean through writing is something that will always be important.
known as Jeff when it really matters