To start - I know there's a thread similar to this, but I don't know that it covers exactly what I want to say

My problem is that I always can imagine a really good tune in my head, and sometimes work one out on a keyboard, but when it comes to tabbing it, I can't get the sounds and rhythms I want.

My lead riffs usually sound great, it's rhythm guitar I'm writing about. I'll have a good riff, but only like, AAAAAAAA, FFFFFFFF etc underneath it, in solid quavers or whatever. And whenever it comes to verses, prechoruses etc, they're all too bland, just solid strumming.

How could I incorporate more variety into rhythm strumming, to keep it fresh and interesting? I like acoustic alternative-y music, but when I try to recreate it, I can't.
There is a vid made by dave weiner, in wich he states that you could divide your beats in 16ths, and randomly remove some of them, you get some quite intresting things
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
Sometimes when I'm making a strumming rhythm, I think of a drum beat that could go underneath the chords and then strum in that rhythm.

Try using syncopation (accenting weak beats, or off the beat)
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Sometimes when I'm making a strumming rhythm, I think of a drum beat that could go underneath the chords and then strum in that rhythm.

Try using syncopation (accenting weak beats, or off the beat)
I've always wondered about syncopation. If every voice and intrument is syncopating in the same way, whats the difference between syncopation and anacrusis?
Quote by Ænimus Prime

Well lets say you have a sort of simple syncopation thats "short, long, short, long barline repeat". How is this different to "short barline long short long short barline repeat"?

I've often wondered this in my jazz band. My band co-ordinator has told me to always play a full chord on the second and fourth beats and play a bass note on the first and third beats. But than I hear that the drums and the other musical instruments are playing accentuated on these beats as well. It seems pointlessly pedantic and is really confusing to play.
I don't play nor listen to jazz, but when do you change chords? I'm guessing you usually play the new chord/bass note on the first beat of the bar.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
I don't play nor listen to jazz, but when do you change chords? I'm guessing you usually play the new chord/bass note on the first beat of the bar.
Every co-ordinator has a different Idea. Generally (if our rhthym hasnt been written for us) we split our bar into four beats (three if the songs in 3/4 or 6/8, but thats REALLY rare).

My first band co-ord had me playing on all four beats in a sort of ska/punk sort of thing and picked alot of songs that didnt have syncopation. My second band co-ord had me playing only on the second and fourth beat and makes us play alot of syncopated stuff. I've seen other band co-ordinators make their guitarist play on the first and third beat.

So with my current co-ordinator I play:
rest (or bass note), chord, rest, chord || rest newchord, rest, newchord || rest, newerchord, rest, newerchord
This is a sort of syncopation, because it stresses the second and fourth when, generally, the first and third wants to be syncopated.

But thats annoying, why cant the song be:
Rest (or bass whatever)||Chord, rest, Chord, rest|| newchord, rest, newchord rest||
This is heaps simpler

Especially if every other instrument are stressing the same beats I'm stressing. I see people being pedantic (and its not just me).

To T/S
Just noticed I didnt answer your question... Sorry. Nothing wrong with solid strumming, just dont overuse the three major chord song thing.
If you want some examples of good rhthym in the accompaniment, listen to how electronica guys do it (I've been listening to heaps of electronica lately).
I also like to think of (modern) guitar as a cross between piano and drums. Although we play chords, we might also follow the drums. I'm thinking like reggae or ska or jazz or something where a guitarist would hit the full chord only when the drummer hits the snare.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Sep 22, 2008,