Page 1 of 2
i dont know which song to play if my school has a talent show,i just want to be prepaired and show off that i can shred.
Cliffs of Dover is obviously more impressive to guitarists, but Eruption will be more impressive to non guitarists. I'd say if you can play with a band, do Cliffs of Dover. If not, Eruption.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
How about Through the fire and flames!! lol jk

Umm wow hard choice. As stated above, Non guitarists will love Eruption but Cliffs of Dover is SOOO much better
This is just my opinion, but I think Cliffs of Dover is much more pleasant to hear. Eruption... isn't very interesting for non-musicians. At least, not for the non-musicians I know of. Heck, I love Van Halen, but Eruption bores me to death.
If you've got a backing band go with Cliffs of dover. Its longer and will amaze more. Either is a good choice though.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
everyones gonna think your a faggot if you play either one

nobody is actually going to care what u play. its a high school talent show
Gear

Fender J Mascis Jazzmaster
Epiphone G400 w Super Distortion
Sunn Stinger 35w
Quote by gnomieowns
cliffs of dover ftw.

+1
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
How about the cooler idea... Mesh the two together. You create a good imbalance, playing sections from each, blended together.

Or just play No Boundaries, and you're golden.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Cliffs of Dover, the overall quality of song is MUCH higher.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by rehabdoll

...and why would they think he's a faggot? For playing guitar?

And like most said Eruption if your going it solo and CoD if you have a band
Now do you believe in rock and roll?

Can music save your mortal soul?
Cliffs of Dover for sure. Less people know it and so many will hear it for the first time and if you play it well you'll melt their faces. But then there will be the ones who say "DUDE I GOT 5 STARS ON THAT IN GUITAR HERO!!!!1!!1!! I LOVE THAT SONG!!!!" and I can't stand that but ehh whatever. Cliffs of Dover imo tho
Guitars

Epiphone 1958 Ebony Explorer
Fender Standard Stratocaster

Amp/Gear

Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff

Gunnery Sergeant of the Megadeth Military
PM BlackciN to join/get ranking
"Down in a Hole" by Alice in Chains.
: : Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Ibanez Acoustic-Electric
Fender Black Strat
: : Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Distortion & Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Tuner
Why not make your own song with shredding in it?

What happens if someone asks you to play something other than those songs after the show? Uh oh?

I don't know, that's what I got out of your post.
I played Sweet Child O' Mine at a high school talent show and it went across like amazing. I'm sure those songs would be just fine.

COD gets my vote. Way better song. Just because there is a band behind it and people can bob there heads to it, not just stare at the hurricane of distortion and pinch harmonics for 2 minutes going "Umm"
Play something of your own or no one has heard before.

Otherwise you'll look like the rest of the guitarists who have ever been in a talent show. I don't think you want that.
Quote by rehabdoll

^This

I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
No one wants to hear shred. Shred sounds like crap unless it's done impeccably well. If you can play and sing, do it. People love that, especially girls. Shred makes you look like a wanker funnily enough.

BUT, that said, cliffs of dover is not only an amazing song, if you slow it down a little, you should be able to hit it cleaner and it's less shreddy, plus since guitar hero, people know it.

It's already been mentioned, but to really impress at a talent show, you either need to sing and play electric with a screamin solo and some impressive rhythm, or pick up an acoustic and sing about birds and shit while strumming 3 or 4 chords.
how about something like canon rock i like it equaly as much as COD and it wont be anything like eruption which is mostly a song for poser to show of to or cod which people would be like omg i herdz thtz in teh geetar her0z
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
I'd play Cliffs of Dover. You won't look like quite as big a shreddin' wanker, compared to playing Eruption.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Free to Guitar
I'd play Cliffs of Dover. You won't look like quite as big a shreddin' wanker, compared to playing Eruption.

I personally find eruption to be... annoying...
Not in the "OMG I'm sick of hearing that f***ing song!" way,
I hate it in the "I could never stand listening to that song in the first place" sort of way...
I actually liked Eruption the first two or three times I heard it. The song has too much wanking for me though.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by kckyle
vagina ftw

damn straight
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Yamaha F-130 Acoustic Guitar
  • Epiphone SG special edition Guitar
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
Just ****ing tap the first part of One's solo and every idiot there will demand to suck your penis.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Do a arpeggios from hell. Only because people that dont like music arent gonna want to hear a long song. But, i'd say eruption would be my choice, you get on, shred, get off, and they (hopefully) love you
Honestly if you want to win the show or impress people play some Fall Out Boy or something. Its sad but true.

If you wish to retain your dignity play eruption.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Good idea!
Play your own material, if it's good then it'll get non-musicians listening, and all the musicians will listen and wonder what it is. If anything, you'll get more credit for writing something that people will enjoy, rather then learning somebody elses songs.

Atleast, that's how it would work at a school talent show around here.
The reason I said Eruption, is because most people are like 'Wow, did you see that? That's like, the hardest song to learn on guitar', but I guess it depends on the age group as well.
its kind of hard to decide... cliffs of dover would probably be the most recognizable and ppl would love it... but ppl would also love you running around the stage shredding and tapping with big bushy brown hair and a striped guitar being a maniac. personally i would choose eruption, but its a bit overplayed at talent shows. cliffs of dover is a bit boring if your by yourself playing onstage. i say mybe the best thing would be to play something else besieds the two!
Page 1 of 2