Page 1 of 2
by HP lovecraft, damn it was good, the way it was presented was awesome and the imagry was amazing. I would have loved it even more if HP lovecraft wasnt such a racist condescending douchebag but that only played a small role in the story. What other stories by him are good?? he has tons of them and i found a website that has all his stuff online.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Cthulhu is a great story!

I thought it was pure amazing.

It was sick when I found out Metallica wrote The Thing That Should Not Be about it!

But yeah,
I was hoping (when I saw the preview) that CLoverfield would be a Cthulhu movie
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by sneyob

It was sick when I found out Metallica wrote The Thing That Should Not Be about it!

But yeah,

yea i liked that song so much better after i read the story, because i understand it now.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Quote by sneyob

But yeah,

I'm pretty sure that was about a different Lovecraft story. Call of Ktulu was based off Call of Cthulhu.

I like Dunwich Horror and another story I can't remember the name of. Has something to do with rats in the wall. Lurker At The Threshold wasn't bad but I just couldn't get into it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Sep 21, 2008,
Quote by UncleCthulhu
/me walks in

You rang?

I'd have my number unlisted if I were you.

I don't really dig any of H.P.'s stuff, but he inspired a few CoF songs, so I guess I'm glad he's written a few books.
HP Lovecraft was a great writer and one of my favorite authors. Don't let his racism bog you down, it was a product of the times, in fact he married a jew, so clearly it was not an extremely over the top form of racism. Favorite story is probably Rats In The Wall, love it.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
by HP lovecraft, damn it was good, the way it was presented was awesome and the imagry was amazing. I would have loved it even more if HP lovecraft wasnt such a racist condescending douchebag but that only played a small role in the story. What other stories by him are good?? he has tons of them and i found a website that has all his stuff online.

it was written in the 20's and 30's... everyone was racist in the 20's and 30's
Quote by JC13
The Call of Ktulu is an instrumental.

Yes, I realize this.

Cliff used a distortion pedal and wah to recreate monstrous sounds. Most of the sound has an especially dark tone to it to mirror Lovecraft's writing style and the story itself.

You can base an instrumental off of something else.

EDIT:^^ Rats in the Wall! That was it! Great story....I can't remember a ton of his stories since I read them during my spare time at school out of a big collection of them. I only remember the ones that I enjoyed especially. Lovecraft is kind of hard to read though, his writing style is kind of unique.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'm pretty sure that was about a different Lovecraft story. Call of Ktulu was based off Call of Cthulhu.

I like Dunwich Horror and another story I can't remember the name of. Has something to do with rats in the wall. Lurker At The Threshold wasn't bad but I just couldn't get into it.

Not dead which eternal lie
stranger aeons Death may die!

that line alone indicates that The THing that Should not Be is about Cthulhu.

that story has such good build up to the final scene and ends on a pessimistic note which i love!
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
Not dead which eternal lie
stranger aeons Death may die!

that line alone indicates that The THing that Should not Be is about Cthulhu.

that story has such good build up to the final scene and ends on a pessimistic note which i love!

I stand corrected.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
his racism is quite humorous. I believe he feared the world would be taken over by the Chinese in a "Yellow Invasion"
Quote by BladeSlinger

They're both about The Call of Cthulhu.

They just loved the story that much

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by Bowe
it was written in the 20's and 30's... everyone was racist in the 20's and 30's

So that makes it okay? Not to hijack this thread with it, but I can't stand the "product of his/her times" argument.

On topic, I haven't read it myself, but I've heard good things about it.
Quote by blackthought
So that makes it okay? Not to hijack this thread with it, but I can't stand the "product of his/her times" argument.

It shouldn't be as big of an issue and shouldn't inhibit his enjoyment of great literature. If someone writes a good and enjoyable story, I will read it, regardless of their ideals and morals.
Quote by blackthought

On topic, I haven't read it myself, but I've heard good things about it.

I think it does, to an extent

imagine that in 10 years it becomes illegal to masterbate, looking back, should we be looked down upon as criminals, even though its pretty much perfectly acceptable these days?
Quote by Fender_M1A
It shouldn't be as big of an issue and shouldn't inhibit his enjoyment of great literature.

I'm not saying it should, but don't try to defend bigotry by saying, "But everyone else was too!".

EDIT: To Bowe, wouldn't that mean that lynchings were okay? I mean, a lot of white Southerners did it, right?
Quote by blackthought
I'm not saying it should, but don't try to defend bigotry by saying, "But everyone else was too!".

I never commented on the morality of his beliefs or attempted to defend them. I just said don't let it hold you back from enjoying his work. He was racist. Ok, so what? Look past that and enjoy an excellent story by someone who is a great writer.
Godamit let it go!

No one cares if Lovecraft was prejudiced,
EVERYONE in the 20's felt like that.

It doesn't make it "okay",
it just means it is what it is and he can't be blamed for feeling that way,
as everyone around him felt that way.

Just let it go and keep your ****ing political correctness out of a discussion of literature!

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
You like Call of Chtulhu? O R'lyeh?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by sneyob
Godamit let it go!

Just let it go and keep your ****ing political correctness out of a discussion of literature!

On topic, who has read The Painting On The Wall (I believe that is the title)? I like that one a lot, very creepy atmosphere, although the ending is a complete rip off of The Pit And The Pendulum by Edgar Allen Poe, and I always thought it was a bit of a cop out. Lovecraft had a lot of Poe influence, another one of my favorite authors.
Quote by sneyob
Godamit let it go!

It really is a revelation that every single human being in the 1920s was a bigot.

Anyways, as I said, I'm not trying to start some huge debate about it here. I just commented on what you said about it before. I'm not saying that his personal beliefs should affect how we look at his literature. And Fender, the part about defending bigotry was directed at sneyob, not you.
Quote by blackthought
EDIT: To Bowe, wouldn't that mean that lynchings were okay? I mean, a lot of white Southerners did it, right?

i'm not even going to acknowledge that with a clever response

anyways, has anyone read the Dream Cycle set of novels by Lovecraft?
Last edited by Bowe at Sep 21, 2008,
Quote by BladeSlinger
Call of Ktulu was based off Call of Cthulhu.

Obviously...
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Bowe

i'm not even going to acknowledge that with a clever responce

anyways, has anyone read the Dream Cycle set of novels by Lovecraft?

Please, spare me your biting wit.

But seriously, on the topic of his books, what would you (you being anyone in the thread) recommend most?
Quote by blackthought
Please, spare me your biting wit.

But seriously, on the topic of his books, what would you (you being anyone in the thread) recommend most?

oooh, burn

but I do reccomend the Dream Cycle set of stories, its kinda a 'spin-off' of the Cthulhu mythos, but doesn't contain as many works, and has a lot of short works, so its a good place to get started
I just got done listening to Lurker At The Threshold Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 which was inspired by H. P. Lovecraft.

EDIT: Thank you for that amazon link
Quote by HelpTravesty
Hey everyone, SMOKE WEED!

It's raining blood from a lacerated sky.

Last edited by emagdnimasisiht at Sep 21, 2008,
I LOVE H.P. Lovecraft! He is one of, if not, my favorite writer. I just got done reading The Shadow out of Time the other day. You should read At the Mountains of Madness and The Colour Out of Space. I do have a kind of love hate relationship with Lovecraft though. I hate short stories and that is unfortunately all he wrote. I would love it if he had written at least one novel in his lifetime.
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
Quote by Fender_M1A
Go to your local bookstore and pick this up: HP Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre

Quote by Bowe
but I do reccomend the Dream Cycle set of stories, its kinda a 'spin-off' of the Cthulhu mythos, but doesn't contain as many works, and has a lot of short works, so its a good place to get started

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely check them out.
I started reading a few more of his stories just now,
and I think they're too long to read on a computer moniter!
The text starts to hurt my eyes after awhile,
so I should probably buy a book of his!

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by sneyob

Yeah, I hate trying to read books or long articles on the computer. It kills my eyes.
Quote by sneyob

do what i did, print them out, put a staple or a paperclip on them, then have fun!!!

as for the racist debate, by teh 20s and 30s people were speaking about against racism especailly in art and literature where there were many free thinking people. H.P. Lovecrafts racism isnt just product-of-the-times racism. he was a real racist mother****er! he is also obsessed with anglo saxon white race. that said i agree with Fender M1A in that despite this hes still a great writer and we should still enjoy his works. The Bad Brains are still one of my favorite bands even if they are religious homophobic Zealots.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
he is also obsessed with anglo saxon white race..

I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that. He was a white anglo-saxon, and I see nothing wrong with taking pride in your race and it's culture, in fact I think it is healthy that people take pride in their heritage. That wasn't the whole of his racial ideas however as he definitely hated other races.
Quote by Fender_M1A
I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that. He was a white anglo-saxon, and I see nothing wrong with taking pride in your race and it's culture, in fact I think it is healthy that people take pride in their heritage. That wasn't the whole of his racial ideas however as he definitely hated other races.

no its the fact that he saw whites as superior and everyone else savages that made it wrong.

but what are some other good Lovecraft stories.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Page 1 of 2