So I want to upgrade my lame computer to be able to play some better games. I'm no wiz at this so I don't know really what I want. This is my computer now,

Operating System: Windows XP Professional
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc
System Model: Dimension C521
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 958MB RAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE (GeForce 6150 LE)
(Is that the right information?)

I don't want to run Crysis or anything. More like Bioshock, Half Life, Counter Strike and things like that. Anyone give me some recommendations on what to do? I know I need a heck of a lot more RAM and might need a better video card but I'm not sure.
Upgrade your ram to at least 2GB, 4 to be safe.

Need a new graphics card too.

I'm a noob in comps, so that's only a small advice.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
i'm not sure but when ever i see ur avatar it makes me LOL
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
I've heard good things about the nVidia 8600 series cards, one of those should set you up nicely.

You'll probably need about 2Gb of RAM, and I'd go for an Intel Q6600 2.4GHz processor.

You've just gotta make sure your PSU will be able to handle it all.
Quote by gen0doom
I've heard good things about the nVidia 8600 series cards, one of those should set you up nicely.

You'll probably need about 2Gb of RAM, and I'd go for an Intel Q6600 2.4GHz processor.

You've just gotta make sure your PSU will be able to handle it all.

How will I be able to find out if it will be able to?
Pretty much the best things you can do are upgrade the GPU and RAM. Find out what type of RAM your motherboard supports (DDR, DDR2, or DDR3) and get the highest one it supports (probably DDR2). 2GB will definitely be enough for HL2 or Bioshock. 4 is better if you want to shell out the cash. A new GPU will also help a lot. If you want to stick to nvidia, you might want to check out the 8800GT, which will definitely be good for the games you want.

Quote by The_Paranoia
How will I be able to find out if it will be able to?

Find out the wattage that your PSU can support and add up all wattages of the stuff in your computer. You also want to make sure it doesn't run hot.
...shun the nonbeliever...
First off, unless you have the 64 bit XP (don't think you do) it would be pointless to get more than 2 gigs, as that is the most a 32 bit system can use (it's actually like 2.5 or something). In any case, more than 2 gigs of ram is overkill for the games you're going to play.

For video, I'd recommend a radeon X1k series card (the 1950 PRO is awesome) their prices have dropped significantly and can run Bioshock and such with ease. IMPORTANT: Check and see If you have an AGP slot or a PCI-E slot, and buy the video card that matches.

Your processor shouldn't be an issue. Just get a gig of ram and one of those aforementioned video cards and you're good, both shouldn't run you over 100$ or so.

BTW the last time I opened a Dell case, it was a cluster**** of useless plastic pieces, so have fun.

EDIT: the 1950 pro will run you around 150$ it would seem, but mine gets over 100 fps playing half-life 2
Last edited by .StringTheory at Sep 21, 2008,
There is no use in getitng more than 2 GB RAM, so just stick with that.
Then get a video like an 8600 or 8800, or 9600 or 9800 if you have the money.
You're going to need a new power supply, most stock power supplies aren't enough.