I currently play guitar in a metalcore/deathcore band. But we've been starting to run into problems with our other guitarist, so I would love some advice on the situation.

Our other guitarist is an amazing guitar player, with way more experience then me. He's excellent at what he does, and always has new riffs, ideas, and has generally solid input. That, and his dad is our manager and booking agent. But recently, he hasn't been showing up to practice. He's missed a good number of practices. And when we talk to him about it, it's always that he is working.

The big issue about this is that we recorded one of our original songs not too long ago. He couldn't make it, however, so I was forced to record all of his parts, and even re-write some of his parts to finish the recording. But now, we're getting looked at by a production company to do a CD. We are going to be re-recording our song to fix a few things that bother us, but we don't know if he'll be there to play on it, because he's been pretty unreliable. It's a tough bind, because on one hand, we really get along with him and he's a great player, and we probably won't find one near as good in our area. But he just doesn't seem to make the effort to get to practice.

So my question is, what do we do with him? Keep him and give him another chance, or drop him and look for a new guitarist?
Guitars
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez RG350DX
Amps
Marshall MG50DFX
Fender Bronco
Pedals
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
MXR EVH Flanger
Boss MT-2
Boss NS-2

www.myspace.com/readysetbingo

Quote by Baba O'Riley
SGRocker407 you have some epic hair. Most curly.
well, he does do a shitload of shit for your band. try to talk to him about it, and hope for the best
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Tell him that hopefully that CD pays more then his job will.
Gear -

-Dean MLX
-Standard P-Bass
-Behringer Ultrabass BX300 (It can't wait to crap out on me)

well you could kill him, suck his blood, and get his abilities

just tell him to come if he wants to be rich that'll do it
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer
Do you schedule stuff and make sure it's good with him and then he just doesn't show up?
Quote by Sound Mind
talk to his dad, he should be able to help with this situation.

Agreed, if his dad is your manager, it's kinda his job to go and have a word with him, even if the guitarist wasn't his son.
A manager is there to try and sort out any problems that a band have, to remove any distractions and basicaly to allow the band to concentrate on nothing but songwriting and playing gigs, and that includes dealing with problem members.

Quote by Zycho
Do you schedule stuff and make sure it's good with him and then he just doesn't show up?

Another good point that's also worth considering.
If you're scheduling a time that's initialy OK with him, and he doesn't turn up without prior warning, then it's a problem with him, if you're scheduling a time when he's supposed to be at work without consulting him, then it's a problem with your scheduling.
You can't expect someone to drop everything and take time off work just for a band.

But again, as your manager, it's his dad's job to do all your scheduling anyway, and he should know when his own son is available or not.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 22, 2008,
We've been scheduling around him, just so that he could make it. I've had to drop my plans to make practices we scheduled for him, and he still hasn't shown. I'm definitely going to talk to our manager, and hopefully that changes something at least.
Guitars
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez RG350DX
Amps
Marshall MG50DFX
Fender Bronco
Pedals
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
MXR EVH Flanger
Boss MT-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by Baba O'Riley
Is he working like on-demand or erratic hours?

If you have set days to practice, then surely he could work around those days, like the rest of you surely are, if his work is like most jobs.
Quote by SGRocker407
I'm definitely going to talk to our manager, and hopefully that changes something at least.

That's what he's there for.
Let us know what he says.
UPDATE:

I talked to our manager today, and he said he would talk to our guitarist. I tried to be nice, because as mad as we are at him, he's still our friend. We have a practice scheduled for sunday, a day when he DOESN'T work, so we're going to see how things pan out.
Guitars
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez RG350DX
Amps
Marshall MG50DFX
Fender Bronco
Pedals
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
MXR EVH Flanger
Boss MT-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by Baba O'Riley