Page 1 of 2
Well... I made a thread Discuss! I don't have to much to say but I'd like to know how many people know of him mabye he inspired you... Or you know something alone those lines cause he seem's like he wouldn't be known of but I see him mentioned alot now
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace - Jimi Hendrix

Fender '60s Reverse Headstock Strat
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
RP250 DigiTech Effects Pedal
DigiTech Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
Quote by Jimi M. Hendrix
cause he seem's like he wouldn't be known of but I see him mentioned alot now

Que?
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by slidething31
Que?

Well I'm not sure how to put it I know he's popular but unpopular at the same time..? Nvm just I'll just go shoot myself in the foot now
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace - Jimi Hendrix

Epiphone G-310 SG

oh well. my girlfriend had to analyze his guitar tone of some of his songs for college "homework".
Quote by Jimi M. Hendrix
Well... I made a thread Discuss! I don't have to much to say but I'd like to know how many people know of him mabye he inspired you... Or you know something alone those lines cause he seem's like he wouldn't be known of but I see him mentioned alot now

We all know of him. And don't assume the blues forum only listens to mainstream stuff like BB King and Eric Clapton.

On topic, he is really good. He's not the best delta bluesmen, though, in my opinion.

Jack my swag
Quote by gopherthegreat
We all know of him. And don't assume the blues forum only listens to mainstream stuff like BB King and Eric Clapton.

On topic, he is really good. He's not the best delta bluesmen, though, in my opinion.

Well name some other Delta Music O and BB King has been around forever

Epiphone G-310 SG
Robert Johnson was around before B.B King, mate

Robert is awesome, I was actually listening to "If I Had Possesion Over Judgement Day" when I saw this thread.
he's popular but unpopular at the same time

He's underground

Don't shoot yourself in the foot, it's not really bluesy. Aim for the heart or the head, preferably of the guy that stole your girl!

On a serious note, RJ is great, I found him to be a bit difficult when I first got his stuff, but it kinda hanged on till I realized I really enjoyed it.

Robert Johnson was around before B.B King, mate

But he didn't last too long unfortunately...The Devil got him.
There's no night out in the jail !

Last.fm --> mas0nic
Quote by Jimi M. Hendrix
Well name some other Delta Music O and BB King has been around forever

Blind Willie Johnson
Bukka (Booker) White
Blind Willie McTell
Mississippi John Hurt
Skip James
Son House
R.L. Burnside

That's all the delta I have on my itunes, I think.

Jack my swag
Got some robert johnson on my profile check him out!
Electric Guitars Samick Torino,Jay Turser warlord, Jay turser jt-xg2( thats a double neck) New york pro Strat copy Acoustics Ibanez pf , new york pro and 3 nylons from the 70's
There are thousands of threads on him in here.

I will say again what I have said before:

He wasn't influential until 50 years ago. In fact, Son House and the like were not that popular until the 60's. Ma Rainey, Ida Cox, Bessie Smith, and Blind Lemon Jefferson had a far greater importance in spreading blues. Sure, he wrote/stole many of the great standards but if he hadn't played a note I'm not sure it would have made so much difference to the state of blues. He was never popular and all the romanticism about him in the murky delta is bullshit, he went as far as Canada and was often away in the North for long times.

MONSTA EDIT:

You think he wouldn't be mentioned much???

He is perhaps the biggest icon of the blues history, for the small reason that Son House told people that he must have sold his soul to the devil to be so good.

I wouldn't say I use the RJ kinda style very much, the way I play slide guitar and delta blues is far for influenced by Son House, Booker White, and Lightnin' Hopkins.

Robert Johnson wanted to be a celebrity like in nowadays terms Paris Hilton would be an good example (except she's famous for no good reason). He wasn't out to be a small time guy in a bar down in the delta, he wanted fancy suits, cars, houses and girls.
Last edited by ze monsta at Sep 22, 2008,
I love Robert Johnson, but Willie Johnson was much better. Roberts amazing, but he has been oversatured in todays music world. Everytime you pick up a blues paper:

ROBERT JOHNSON REVIVED BLUES SOLD HIS SOUL TO SATAN CREATED THE BLUES IS GOD
Quote by slayer1516
I love Robert Johnson, but Willie Johnson was much better. Roberts amazing, but he has been oversatured in todays music world. Everytime you pick up a blues paper:

ROBERT JOHNSON REVIVED BLUES SOLD HIS SOUL TO SATAN CREATED THE BLUES IS GOD

That myth is so funny and unbelivable

Epiphone G-310 SG
Quote by gopherthegreat
Blind Willie Johnson
Bukka (Booker) White
Blind Willie McTell
Mississippi John Hurt
Skip James
Son House
R.L. Burnside

That's all the delta I have on my itunes, I think.

naw bro, thad be piedmont. And if you're interested, Skip James and Booker are really from the Bertonia 'school' of blues
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentonia_School_(blues)

Its really just a subcategory of Delta, but hey, the more you know...
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Lol I love the robert johnson myth....If anyone has ever seen O'brother were art thou u may have noticed that when they are driving a car down the road the pick up a young black hitch hiker with a guitar heading for somewhere (he mentioned that he sold his soul to the devil he also mentioned he was going to somwhere to play the blues) yea so that had to be a play off of the robert johnson myth o yea and eric clapton made a pretty good robert johnson cover cd
" Im so god damned horny the crack of dawn better be carefull around me."
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ rosewood neck&Emg's
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by Brian8878682
Lol I love the robert johnson myth....If anyone has ever seen O'brother were art thou u may have noticed that when they are driving a car down the road the pick up a young black hitch hiker with a guitar heading for somewhere (he mentioned that he sold his soul to the devil he also mentioned he was going to somwhere to play the blues) yea so that had to be a play off of the robert johnson myth o yea and eric clapton made a pretty good robert johnson cover cd

Yea I thought it was Robert Johnson at first but the Director/Producer/Whoever said it was Tommy Johnson not Robert Johnson

Epiphone G-310 SG
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Oh shit I have that song in my itunes and everything

The character in the movie is not really the same though, he seems way more based off of RJ.

Yeah definitely. And I believe he sings a Skip James tune when they're sitting around the fire. In the movie, the character seems like a mash up of various bluesmen.

That actor is actually a musician too.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
In the 2000 movie O Brother, Where Art Thou? there is a character named Tommy Johnson (played by Chris Thomas King) who sold his soul to the devil to play guitar. He plays accompaniment for the Soggy Bottom Boys (a band consisting of the film's three main protagonists plus Johnson) on "Man of Constant Sorrow". The character of Tommy Johnson in O Brother, Where Art Thou? is reminiscent of the real Tommy Johnson, who used to talk about how "he sold his soul to the devil" at a crossroads in return for making up songs and playing the guitar. The character plays a number of songs by blues musician Skip James. The character was not based on the better-known bluesman Robert Johnson, as some have speculated.

**** me.

Yeah I know he is a musician one of his albums is supposedly bues/rap though.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
In the 2000 movie O Brother, Where Art Thou? there is a character named Tommy Johnson (played by Chris Thomas King) who sold his soul to the devil to play guitar. He plays accompaniment for the Soggy Bottom Boys (a band consisting of the film's three main protagonists plus Johnson) on "Man of Constant Sorrow". The character of Tommy Johnson in O Brother, Where Art Thou? is reminiscent of the real Tommy Johnson, who used to talk about how "he sold his soul to the devil" at a crossroads in return for making up songs and playing the guitar. The character plays a number of songs by blues musician Skip James. The character was not based on the better-known bluesman Robert Johnson, as some have speculated.

**** me.

Yeah I know he is a musician one of his albums is supposedly bues/rap though.

You use Wikipedia too!?

Epiphone G-310 SG
I woke up this mornin
Looking for my shoes
Finally put em on
Got them old Walkin Blues

Well I woke up this mornin.
Lookin round for my shoes
Not listened to any Robert Johnson for a while actually. Brilliant stuff though
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
8 bar blues? (or is it 9 bars?)

Need to listen.

The Keb Mo cover is excellent, in any case.
Quote by imgooley
8 bar blues? (or is it 9 bars?)

Need to listen.

The Keb Mo cover is excellent, in any case.

Epiphone G-310 SG
Woke up this morning
All my shrimp was dead
Woke up this morning
All my shrimp was dead

Anyone else a fan of this song?
Quote by ze monsta
^Dude, you hang around here now, so tell us your name and introduce yourself. We are a friendly bunch once you get to know us all.

true true
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
Quote by Jimi M. Hendrix
cause he seem's like he wouldn't be known of but I see him mentioned alot now

im pretty sure he like invented the blues :S

Robert Johnson was the king. he traded is soul to the devil for his talent and fame.

and woaaah yeah he had talent. if you listen to his stuff, it sounds like its just two guitars, but its actually all just one. hes that good.

it took Eric Clapton 40 years to master Robert Johnson's stuff. and he still struggles a little.

Robert Johnson is amazing 'Nuff said

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by tatorbits
im pretty sure he like invented the blues :S
I hope you're joking

Quote by tatorbits
Robert Johnson was the king. he traded is soul to the devil for his talent and fame.
Again, I hope you're joking

Quote by tatorbits
and woaaah yeah he had talent. if you listen to his stuff, it sounds like its just two guitars, but its actually all just one. hes that good.
Not gonna argue that, he was pretty awesome.

Quote by tatorbits
it took Eric Clapton 40 years to master Robert Johnson's stuff. and he still struggles a little.
I don't know if anyone can master anyone else's stuff. That's kinda missing the point.

Quote by tatorbits
Robert Johnson is amazing 'Nuff said

truf
I love Robert Johnson. You can trace a hell of a lot of today's music and many rock classics directly back to him. He may not have invented the Blues, god knows who did that, but he is an icon.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
^hahahahahahahahahaha...joke right?
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
Page 1 of 2