Ok so ive had a toneport UX2 for a good while now and its been pretty good, however i really like the way my own amp sounds and i would like to record with that as a base. Im not sure if i should buy a mic and have that go into the UX or try to sell the UX and buy a simple input (the word escapes me right now) to my computer and a mic and mixer. Which would probably also benefit me in the long run. Any suggestions?
Yeah. Theres a place for this. It's called the recording forum, and some knowledgeable people hang out there.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Chaosinborn
Ok so ive had a toneport UX2 for a good while now and its been pretty good, however i really like the way my own amp sounds and i would like to record with that as a base. Im not sure if i should buy a mic and have that go into the UX or try to sell the UX and buy a simple input (the word escapes me right now) to my computer and a mic and mixer. Which would probably also benefit me in the long run. Any suggestions?

IF you like the sound of your amp and want to record it, an external mic is the best way to go.

I suggest looking into other interfaces. The toneportes are good to start with but Gearbox and the Preamp in the toneports are not all that great. PreSonus has the Inspire 1394 so if you could get that it would be great.
It is firewire though so be sure you have a port on your computer.
Sorry! I forgot the recording forum, im so used to posting in guitar and GGA forums.

And the word i was looking for above was interface. So it is my understanding

Amp ----> Mic ---> Mixer ---> Interface ---> Computer correct? Or can the mixer be skipped
you can skip the mixer depending on the situation. if im recording drums and want to mix 4 or more mics down to just stereo for ease of use in my DAW then ill go with a mixer. if you are just recording one thing (or possibly 2) then an interface with that number of inputs will work for you.
Why use a mixer?
I suggest Mic - Interface - Computer.

Running a mixer is mostly useless with the interfaces out today. They have on board peamps, balanced inputs, many outs for phones and monitors...and good AD converters.

Look into PreSonus or if you have XP, the Mackie Onyx Satellite.