I am a little new to this recording set up thing and I had a few questions.

My boyfriend is a voice-over artist and he has a few mics he doesn't use anymore. I found a Octava MK319 he said I can use. From what I read this is actually a very nice vocal mic, but I know that doesn't make it an instrument mic. From what I read it will work just fine for instruments, it adds very little, if any, color.

So I have a mic that I can use for now, it is a condenser mic so I need an interface that can power it. I was looking around and I saw the TP UX2. This seems like it might be what I am looking for. It has phantom power, which I need for my mic.

So my question is(it may seem pretty simple): Do you have to use the software that is included with it?

I don't want to use any of that modeling stuff because I have a nice amp. I would like to record right to Garage Band or Audacity, without "adding" anything to the sound.

Is this what I am looking for or am I way off track?
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Last edited by thefrigginbob at Sep 22, 2008,
I'm pretty sure if I know what you're talking about, you can just plug the mic in and put it by your amp and record with Audacity. I mean that's what you do for vocals anyways so I don't see why you couldn't be able to.
Also can I record 2 guitars at once, one with microphone and another with direct input?

Can you use the modeling of Gearbox but record with another program?

When you are using monitors on the toneport is it giving you the dry signal or the signal AFTER the gearbox model and effects are added?

I saw the stickied video, He says that you should absolutely avoid USB 1.1 but doesn't explain why. Can anyone give me a little more detail on that?

I am actually thinking of the KB37 because a midi controller would be really nice to have around.... So I would assume the features are the same? or am I losing anything going for the KB37?

Thanks.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
you have to install GearBox as its the drivers for the hardware but you can bypass the FX in the software and run into any program you want.

I dont like the sound of the preamps on the Toneports...noisy...
You may want to save up a little more and get a EMU 0202, EMU 0404, or Inspire 1394.

They all have much better preamps and AD converters so you will get a good sound from that great mic.

Quote by thefrigginbob
Also can I record 2 guitars at once, one with microphone and another with direct input?

Nope, you can only select two Mic ports, or two instrument ports with this interface...most low end interfaces will work this way.

Can you use the modeling of Gearbox but record with another program?

Sure, Gearbox is simply the driver and FX modeling program, you need a sequencer to record with this interface.

When you are using monitors on the toneport is it giving you the dry signal or the signal AFTER the gearbox model and effects are added?

Gearbox will process the signal and send out the wet to both the outputs on the back panel and the mic port at the front. Other interfaces tend to only send out the dry signal to keep latency low.

I saw the stickied video, He says that you should absolutely avoid USB 1.1 but doesn't explain why. Can anyone give me a little more detail on that?

Thanks for watching my video

The think about USB 1.1 is its slow. It works in some cases but most of the time it pays to go with USB 2.0. All of this is just my opinion though...

I am actually thinking of the KB37 because a midi controller would be really nice to have around.... So I would assume the features are the same? or am I losing anything going for the KB37?

Thanks.

I dont know much about that interface/control board however it has some on board sounds and is similar to the Toneport interfaces...it just adds a few more features for some more money.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 22, 2008,
Thanks Dave, very helpful.

What does the speed of the connection affect(USB 1.1)?
I haven't ever worked with an interface before so I am just trying to understand.
Mostly this will just be for recording my noodling and riffs, simple things like that.

"Nope, you can only select two Mic ports, or two instrument ports with this interface...most low end interfaces will work this way."

So I can use 2 mics then?

The E-Mu 0202 looks nice but I need phantom power for the mics I have right now so I would have to go with the 0404 or the Inspire.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
Thanks Dave, very helpful.

What does the speed of the connection affect(USB 1.1)?
I haven't ever worked with an interface before so I am just trying to understand.
Mostly this will just be for recording my noodling and riffs, simple things like that.

"Nope, you can only select two Mic ports, or two instrument ports with this interface...most low end interfaces will work this way."

So I can use 2 mics then?

The E-Mu 0202 looks nice but I need phantom power for the mics I have right now so I would have to go with the 0404 or the Inspire.

Slow connection speeds will introduce whats known as "Latency" (delays between when you sing into a mic or play an instrument until you hear it on the output of the interface). Latency makes it very hard to layer your tracks and get your mix in time.

Yes with the UX2 you can use two mics a one time but once again the preamps and sound quality on the Toneports isn't great and I think you would be happier with an Inspire or EMU to be honest.