Im looking for a new amp now. I have a Marshall DSL401 but I dont like it much. So Im thinking about selling it and buying a new amp. Im looking for an amp that has great cleans and can manage to give me enough gain for stuff like Guns n' Roses and Aerosmith. I would say budget would be $1500 or less. I was also wondering if the Fender Twin Reverb could handle a Tubescreamer enough to give me that gain that I would need?
A Twin Reverb is more like a Jazz amp.

Personally, I would look for a used SF or BF bassman 50, a Bandmaster, a Traynor YBA-1, amount a bunch of others. A JCM-800 would work, as well. So would a Marshall 1959 or 1987x

Also, a Super Reverb.

In addition, I would look boutique as well. Specifically Roccaforte.
Quote by imgooley
A Twin Reverb is more like a Jazz amp.

Tell that to Kurt ; ).
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
Yeah, but Kurt Cobain ran pedals through it.......

And made it sound completely different than it is voiced.
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
Yeah, but Kurt Cobain ran pedals through it.......

I asked if I could get a heavy tone from using a Tubescreamer with it?
^Not really. Cobain used a Boss DS-1, I think.

Twin Reverbs have uber headroom and no gain control/master volume type deal.

Red Knob "The Twins" Can get a bit heavy, but they are kinda nasty sounding.

There are much better options.
^Those are actually pretty great, versatile amps. I like them a lot. A Prosonic would do you well, too.
I love their vintage channel. Their "burn" channel takes a while to get used to, not a typical Fender sound, you know?
^True. It's actually quite unique.
I agree, the Supersonics are a pretty good choice, and they can get you some sounds that aren't really like anything else I've used. But for 1500 I definitely would try to get a used Bluesbreaker Reissue or an 18 Reissue or clone. The Mesa Stiletto ACE Combo isn't a bad choice either.
Quote by imgooley
^Those are actually pretty great, versatile amps. I like them a lot. A Prosonic would do you well, too.

I agree. I tried one the other day with both a humbucker loaded HSS Strat and a Baja Tele. Very versatile amp. I got everything from a sweet Rolling Stones overdrive touching metal.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
Hugh and Kettner statesman, or their 20th anniversary model.

Great cleans, great distortion.

+1

Sounds about 100x better than the Supersonic.
I tried a used Prosonic, it was a great amp but the one I tried had some issues keeping me from buying it. Try one if you can. I bought a used H&K 20th Ann Edition Tube - wow. It answered my "low wattage high gain tube combo" dilemma. But it does get mixed reviews - it's a modern sound on the gain channel. The clean channel is like a different amp. I use an OD on the clean channel for "vintage" tones, and the gain channel for VH/Metallica etc. Call it a mini 5150 with great cleans if you will... Edit: The reverb is what holds this amp back, there could be more there for blues, good enough - but not great.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 22, 2008,