Im looking to buy a new guitar and i'm kind of confused as to which pickups i should get because a lot of the one's ive been looking at are stocked with emg's which ive heard are awesome. problem is theres emg 65/81/85/707/hz and a bunch of others and i don't really know the difference... ive been looking at the jackson DXMG and the DKMG a lot. i play lead guitar and i would like a pickup thats not too mushy and can still be intense and i can get some screamin solos out of. ive also been looking at the seymour duncans because avenged sevenfold plays these and their solos sound pretty nice. please somebody which emg is right for me???
707's are not for 6 strings, unless I'm mistaken.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
yea they arent but i was also looking at a scheter c-7
and im probly gonna buy a new amp for practice like a roland cube
I'd say 81/85, 81/65, or 81tw/89. One of those combinations.

EDIT: EMGs are build to push the tubes in an amp. Cubes don't have tubes. Therefore the EMGs wont do their full extent and therefore are not necessary.
Don't get emg's if your playing solid state. you will have to keep the vol down as they will be too hot for the ss pre amp.
if you plan on upgrading to tubes, then get them. Keep in mind that they will drive your preamp too hard and you will get nasty ss clipping of the transistors.
otherwise, emg's sound less open than passive p/u's, but will drive the hell out of tubes and clean up nicely when the vol is rolled back.
if you can spend more money I'd recommend you saving up for an Ibanez MTM1 or ESP LTD AL600. they both have SD AHB-1 Blackouts

edit
add a new tube amp to that budget and you set.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
Last edited by Pintara_jackson at Sep 22, 2008,
ok so what would be a good metal tube amp set-up? on a somewhat cheap budget ofcourse... im not rich! and sry but id probably go with the hellraiser before the ibanez...
The ashdown fallen angel is a great metal tube combo. Would be my pick for an amp.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
id say about 400? but idk really with the cost of the new guitar... would 400 get me a decent one? im just talking practice not gig.
dxmg comes wth hz's which are passive. they suck balls. theyre like cheapo versions.

dkmg comes with 81/85, which is your standard emg set. awesome pickups. the 81 is intense and it has crazy gain for lead. the 85 is awesome too. good amount of gain.
the 60 is really good for cleans. it's like a high gain, but very clean neck pickup.
707 is seven string....
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
mmm thanks for the input... id look in the reviews but most of them are biast because everyone reviewing the stuff has bought it with their own money and nobody is going to say they have crappy stuff... and still no tube amp info???
81/85 route is solid, got those on my jackson.

707s are 7 string man.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
For the tube amp, you can try a valve king its about 400 new, 50 watts plenty of headroom, but you might want some od pedal like a bad monkey if yor on a budget to boost for metal.
Quote by 2_much_gear
Don't get emg's if your playing solid state. you will have to keep the vol down as they will be too hot for the ss pre amp.
if you plan on upgrading to tubes, then get them. Keep in mind that they will drive your preamp too hard and you will get nasty ss clipping of the transistors.
otherwise, emg's sound less open than passive p/u's, but will drive the hell out of tubes and clean up nicely when the vol is rolled back.

Quote by HighPotency
I'd say 81/85, 81/65, or 81tw/89. One of those combinations.

EDIT: EMGs are build to push the tubes in an amp. Cubes don't have tubes. Therefore the EMGs wont do their full extent and therefore are not necessary.

Both these replies are bollocks. I wrote a big wall of text, but my browser crashed when I tried to post it, so I'll quote other replies I've made to debunk the EMG mysticism.

Quote by Mo Jiggity
As for the EMG comment that's the biggest load of bullsh*t I've ever heard in my life. All of the classic Steinbergers came with EMGs, and artists like Mike Rutherford from Genesis, Leslie West from Mountain, and most importantly Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult played or play them. I assume they all play teh Br00talz?

David Gilmour also has EMG SAs in his signature EMG pre-wired pickguard and he plays them on his Strat. I don't think you quite understand how EMGs work - they provide a more uniform response across frequencies and CAN have higher gain. They still work perfectly fine for cleans depending upon which model you get, and in fact many jazz players use EMGs because they don't get muddy as easily compared to their passive counterparts - something very important for a genre such as jazz, where bizarre atonal chord voicings and intervals are a hallmark of the genre.

Keep in mind that many subjective terms such as "warm" or "dirty" are no more than boosted or cut frequency ranges in combination with specific characteristics of clipping and signal distortion - this is why you can most DEFINITELY get a bluesy tone with EMGs, you simply might have to re-evaluate your signal processing strategy in terms of EQ, gain, and effects.

Try reading around or better yet trying guitars with EMGs before you speak.

**EDIT: I was also referencing just EMG active pickups, not their passive ones.

Quote by Mo Jiggity
EMG active pickups work by having a low output signal that is boosted by means of an electrical circuit. This actually means that the magnetic field on EMGs is weaker than on passive pickups. This is compensated for by the active electronics. When the weak signal is amplified there is less variance in the frequency response since the waveform's amplitude is just being increased... it's hard for me to put into words since I'm not a true expert, but this basically means that frequency response is more uniform in addition to higher output.

Solid state amps do not distort with the same level of complexity and frequency response as valve/tube amps do due to the different type of clipping and the equalization differences between tubes and transistors.

What this boils down to is that EMGs are very pure sounding, some say even sterile. This sterility is often offset by tube sound, which produces its own dynamics and modifies the frequency response in a way that transistors do not. EMGs through a solid state amplifier will sound rather "sterile" because there is less complex signal manipulation going on. This can be sidestepped by skilled EQing, however.

Hope this all makes sense... But in a nutshell you don't have to have "arena quality" equipment, you simply should make a better amplifier than a Marshall MG priority before you get a new guitar with EMGs in it.

Note, however, that the above does not apply to the comment that Mr. Genius made about EMGs being 'too hot' for a solid-state preamp. It all depends on the design of the amplifier and output of that particular pickup. If it's a preamp that generates distortion by way of MOSFETs or even LEDs, then 'overdriving the preamp' will just make the distortion hotter, because that's what's already happening inside the amplifier. If the distortion is digital, however, and the pickup output is too much for the ADC to handle and there is no compensation for this in the amp, then yes, it will sound like balls. But by and large, EMGs will work with solid state amps, though they might not sound how you want.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N