Hey, everyone. I have a question for any Gibson historians here.

Where can I find a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top without the pickguard? I’m looking for something along the lines of this:

I heard that these types of Gold Tops were manufactured back in the ‘70s. I don’t know too much about the history of the Les Paul to judge.

Are there any reissues of these kinds of Gold Tops? Do these models still exist?

Can anyone help me? Thanks, guys!
Well are you speaking on the line's of the whole model or just the looks?
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace - Jimi Hendrix

Fender '60s Reverse Headstock Strat
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
RP250 DigiTech Effects Pedal
DigiTech Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
Just buy a Goldtop and take the pickguard off.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
There are still goldtops but they have the pickguard. your best bet is to buy one and remove the guard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Won't there be a hole where the pickguard screw goes in? And filling it and painting it will never look perfect will it?
There's a screw hole in the guitar in your picture, TS. Right above the Neck pickup, near the carveout.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM
That's clearly a mark on the guitar, the screw hole would be under the neck pickup.

The screwholes for the pickguard are right above the right side of the neck pickup and on the right side near the curve of the body.
I'm almost positive that there are no Goldtop Les Pauls that come without a pickguard.

The only one that doesn't is the Gibson USA Slash Les Paul Goldtop that's coming out. I realized that most of the Les Pauls that Slash uses don't have a pickguard.
thats 100% a pickguard hole......my LP has that screw in the same spot.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by Jimi M. Hendrix
Well are you speaking on the line's of the whole model or just the looks?

Both
So let me get this straight...

ALL Gibson Les Paul Goldtops have a pickguards?

And the one in the picture just has its 'guard removed?

Are you guys sure about that?
Yea look at the hole
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by Jericho-79

Yes, in fact I'm pretty sure most Les Pauls come with a pick guard. Removing a pick guard just leaves a couple of small holes, and I just filled those holes with the screws that held the pick guard in place originally. And the holes in my LP are in the same position as the one in the original post, and I'd imagine that's the way its going to be 99.9% of the time.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Jericho-79
So let me get this straight...

ALL Gibson Les Paul Goldtops have a pickguards?

And the one in the picture just has its 'guard removed?

Yes that is 100% true. I own a Les Paul with the pickguard removed. Took me a year to spot the hole and that hole is in that EXACT spot.

See the tiny hole next to the neck? That's the hole you will leave when you take it off. Noone will notice it...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Yeah, don't worry about the two holes. They're barely noticable. The hole above the neck mounted ring (or whatever is called) and right of the neck is one of the two holes, as people have said above.

The other is on the right side of the guitar, it's in the binding, but that hole is smaller and that one isn't even noticable. I'm looking at my own Les Paul by the way.

So don't even worry. I don't even think you noticed that hole there, haha.
Quote by Jericho-79
Hey, everyone. I have a question for any Gibson historians here.

Where can I find a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top without the pickguard? I’m looking for something along the lines of this:

I heard that these types of Gold Tops were manufactured back in the ‘70s. I don’t know too much about the history of the Les Paul to judge.

Are there any reissues of these kinds of Gold Tops? Do these models still exist?

Can anyone help me? Thanks, guys!

If you look closely, you will see that the guitar has had it's pickguard removed. There is a small hole by the pickup ring. You can do the same with any Les Paul with a pickguard.
Does anyone know when Gibson started manufacturing those Les Paul Goldtops with the ABR-1 and a stop-tailpiece (the ones you see today)? Is it true that these incarnations started in 1957?

Does anyone know?
Quote by Jericho-79
I just noticed something...

The guitar in the picture has something missing- a tailpiece below the ABR-1 bridge.

Don't ALL Gibson Les Paul Goldtops have an ABR-1 bridge with a soapbar tailpiece?

Just look at this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Shop-57-Les-Paul-Goldtop-Reissue-Electric-Guitar?sku=517468

Why is the Goldtop in the pic so different?

This post is sig worthy.

THe first year Les Pauls (1953) were gold and had a trapese bridge. They had 2 p-90s that were super low gain. The morons will tell you P-90s are high gain, but different years had different output. These 53 Les Pauls are not really all that playable which is why many of them have had the bridges modded. I had one with the trap and it sucked. I sold it for 15,000.00 and never missed it. I played one with a modded TOM but the neck angle is wrong and getting everything else fixed is a hassle.

The 54 model had a wrap around like on a Les Paul Jr. They still had P-90s these are cool guitars and are great sounding.

The 57 model had Humbuckers and a TOM. These are very very good.

There is no such thing as a soapbar tailpiece. There are soapbar pickups and stop bar tailpieces.
Quote by SenorSmiley

The 57 model had Humbuckers and a TOM. These are very very good.

What is a TOM?