The rosewood on my neck is kinda looking a little not good.. it's kinda fadding but i heard that lemon will like help some... could you explain this? lol i plan on taking the neck off or the strings off deffinately but i heard that taking the string off could bow the neck because there isn't enough tension to keep it in alignment... or not to bow... help would rock socks...
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Use lemon oil for cleaning it. Taking off all the strings at once might require some adjustment later but i did it and it only messed with my trem bridge angle.
DO NOT REMOVE THE NECK YOURSELF. There is no way you'll be able to get it properly aligned again like it was before with the correct amount of bow. Some people have totally messed up the necks by doing this. If you mess it up, you can snap the neck or later on down the line the guitar will literally start cracking. If you HAVE to take off the neck, which I don't see why you should, I would let someone who knows what they're doing (someone who has taken classes or is a professional luthier). You'll have to pay, But paying thirty to fifty bucks beats having to rebuy your guitar worth however much down the line. Just take off all the strings. If you don't leave them off for a really extended period of time, like a month or so, it shouldn't affect the tension in the neck. I would just call a store like guitar center or so and ask their advice. I've had similar problems with the finish on my guitar and they pointed me in the right direction. Even if you have to buy something, it's not a big deal. (Oils and such are only a few dollars and will last you years) Hope that helps. Good luck.
Last edited by 311stylee at Sep 22, 2008,
You should check the FAQs when you have these sort of questions.
Anyway, this is from the FAQs thread.

Fretboard Care

Right, so you’ve cleaned the bass body. But the fingerboard looks a bit, well… dead. This is because it is dying. It isn’t nice and bright anymore. This is a job for lemon oil. Lemon oil can be used on any wood except maple, so you Stingray users can go make a cup of coffee Remove all your strings, and using a similar cloth to the one you used to clean the body (NO! NOT THE SAME ONE, IT’S DIRTY!), squirt on a couple of sprays of lemon oil, and wipe PARALLEL to the frets, all the way down the neck. Don’t leave the lemon oil on too long, and make sure to wipe off excess, or else the fretboard will become saturated and nasty. Your neck should now have that nice, healthy shine it had when it left the factory. You’ll also notice that your tone is slightly brighter as well. This only really has to be done every 1-3 months or so depending on use, and a little goes a long way. As a general rule of thumb, I do this every time I change strings. You can prolong the need for this by keeping your hands clean before playing. I wash my hands, and then I wash my hands with rubbing alcohol to kill the oils. Also, thanks to anarkee for this, it may be a good idea to wipe down your strings after playing. Make sure you use a lint free cloth, or else you'll get a load of crap in your strings.
do not take off the neck. your fretboard is just getting dehydrated. take off your strings for maybe twenty minutes to oil it, then wipe off any excess, then put it back on. the only time you should be taking the neck off is to replace it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
is taking your neck off really that bad for it? like i take my guitar neck off all the time and it's not really that bad... is this different for bass?
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
well, if you turn a little bit too far, you strip your neck and lose sustain. if you keep it too loose, you can weaken the connection and still lose sustain. it isn't very good.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by shampooboy37
is taking your neck off really that bad for it? like i take my guitar neck off all the time and it's not really that bad... is this different for bass?

Yeha lol
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Quote by Drezzdez
Yeha lol

Yeah...spam. Are you adding to the thread. No.

If you live in a drier climate (say like, California) Rosewood fretboards need a bit more care than a more humid climate. I usually oil mine up with lemon oil every time I change strings (about every 8 weeks or so).