Please. I was recording today and thinking that a looper would be nice to have. But I neither know the pros nor cons, nor what brands/models to get.

Educate me.
Best to try them out,opinion differs: the two most common are the Boss RC series and the Digitech Jamman.

I didn't like the Boss in comparison because it's seems expensive for what you get, and you don't get all that much memory/number of loops for the price. Quality-wise it was on par with the jamman but the Digitech had more memory built in (something like 24 minutes to the boss' 15) as well as expandable with CF cards. I also felt the digitech was more intuitive.
What about the Zvex Lo-fi Loop Junkie?
Quote by imgooley
What about the Zvex Lo-fi Loop Junkie?

well, I guess...it's not the typical looper. Struck me as much more of a gimmick than any sort of useful tool. It's something like 20 seconds I think, but in an analog fashion - which I felt was....bad.

The analog feel isn't really suited to looping because the decay just mucks it up and I can't really see much use for it outside of novelty.
If you wanna save some money then you can just record a riff to your computer,repeat it over and over in audacity or something, then run a line back to one of the inputs on your amp (or another amp altogether) You can record a modeled tone with your vox and run that back into the vox through the line in or you can ghetto re-amp and record the dry guitar straight into the computer then run it into the guitar input of one of your amps which is cool because you can play back the same clip distorted, clean, with effects etc. without having to re-record.

not the same as a looper, but it is a free fix to tide you over until you get one
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Loopers can be pretty cool Goolz. You should take a look at the Akai Headrush, a great tool. The Digitech JamMan and Boss RC-20 are quite good but the Akai ais better, more user-friendly and just more efficient. Also, take a look at the Empress Superdelay if you don't alreayd have a delay (which I think you do) because that ****ing thing is amazing, and will be my next purchase after I receive my FM4 tomorrow.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I don't have a delay, in fact my current gear is quite substandard.

I really am hesitant about getting a delay because I don't really use any effects at all. Just a boost, a fuzz, and a wah.

I know about those three types of pedals and not much more.

That Akai looks pretty good, though.

Are there any analog pedals worth a damn. I really like lo-fi sounds. Kinda like an old cassette tape type quality.
Quote by imgooley
Are there any analog pedals worth a damn. I really like lo-fi sounds. Kinda like an old cassette tape type quality.

That's basically the zvex lo-fi loop junky, so maybe it's for you?

edit:
This is a pretty accurate representation of what to expect...
So if that's what you're thinking, it's the only pedal of it's kind I know of.
Last edited by guitar/bass76 at Sep 22, 2008,
Maybe.

I wish I could find an old 4 track recorder or something so I could do some analog recordings.
4 track recorders are a whole 'nother beast, and can be way cheaper than the Zvex ($300 I think?) You should look at the tascam mf-p01, for a more lo-fi sound just use old tapes. I've done it before with decades old tapes from a thrift store and it's great fun. I think they run about $90 new and you'll need a mic, but it's still cheaper than the zvex/rc/jamman.
Quote by imgooley
I don't have a delay, in fact my current gear is quite substandard.

I really am hesitant about getting a delay because I don't really use any effects at all. Just a boost, a fuzz, and a wah.

I know about those three types of pedals and not much more.

That Akai looks pretty good, though.

Wow Goolz, I'm surprised that you don't have an amazing amount of gear. You are deceptive my friend.

On another note, I can tell you that delay is really worth having, I don't have two delay pedals for nothing. It's really good to create certain moods and ambient pages and especially good to assist with transitions.

The Empress Superdelay, Akai Headrush and Zvex Lo-FI Loop Junky sound great for you, because the Empress is the most tricked out, sweet-sounding I have heard, aside from the Memory Lane perhaps, and the Looper is fantastic, not to mention it hs tape delay which I think you would like. I'll find you some demos of that and the Loop Junky eh?

Empress Superdelay
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=empresseffects
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryMMGoLw7Yk

Zvex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AqPK-HYeRs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MViWXvPqpW0

Akai Headrush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yY_Z6LyMm0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaQMjNa64rQ&feature=related
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
^Thanks for the clips. Very educational.

That Akai looks great for the price. How does it compare with a Deluxe Memory Man with Hazarai?

Also, what's the difference between analog and digital delays, tone wise? If you know.

A delay would be useful, now that I think about it. Especially when I get on my Funkadelic phases.

On the gear issue: My eyes and ears (and a lot of my spare time) far outreaches my income. If I bought all the things I wanted (tried, heard professional quality clips, and done extensive research on), I would be in debt up to my ears.

Just bought an amp, though, and will probably pick another one up soon.
The headrush beats the SMMH hands-down, tried both, the SMMH is a very sub-par unit in my opinion but watcha few videos and see what you think, i just preferred the headrush when i was looking for a looper.

Analog delays have a lot of decay, they breakup and become distorted the longer they delay, some people like it, some don't, just depends what you want.

Digital delays are very very VERY exact and don't lose any clarity and are more used for extreme delay settings or very long spaces between delay times.

That my friend, is called GAS, everyone goes through it
Analog seems more my deal, honestly.

I like the SMMH because of the stereo out, mainly.

Any recommendations for an analog delay to try?
Plenty:

Ibanez AD9
Moog Analog Delay (Mega mega pricey)
EHX Deluxe Memory Man
Empress Superdelay
Boss DM-2 (Ebay)
MXR Carbon copy

Id mainly choose the Ibanez AD9 though, albeit the Moog is a lot better, its like 800-900 bucks haha.

EDIT: The memory man hazarai isn't analog as far as im aware
I saw the Empress- let's just say, it's a bit much for me.

Will check out the Moog. Moog is awesome. I want their guitar so bad it's not funny. I'll save that for when I get teh Matamp.

The other's will be demo'd soon
Quote by IncubusMan999
Loopers can be pretty cool Goolz. You should take a look at the Akai Headrush, a great tool. The Digitech JamMan and Boss RC-20 are quite good but the Akai ais better, more user-friendly and just more efficient. Also, take a look at the Empress Superdelay if you don't alreayd have a delay (which I think you do) because that ****ing thing is amazing, and will be my next purchase after I receive my FM4 tomorrow.

GOD DAMNIT!
I wasn't feeling any GAS recently, and I was actually clearing out some of my stuff. Now I really want the Empress. You ****er. I love you.
I use a boss RC20 Loop pedal, it's an excellent piece of kit! Weird thing is that I really dislike most of bosses other pedals!
Quote by Mecler
GOD DAMNIT!
I wasn't feeling any GAS recently, and I was actually clearing out some of my stuff. Now I really want the Empress. You ****er. I love you.

Then you join me in my lust.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by imgooley
I saw the Empress- let's just say, it's a bit much for me.

Will check out the Moog. Moog is awesome. I want their guitar so bad it's not funny. I'll save that for when I get teh Matamp.

The other's will be demo'd soon

The Moog is really not as good as what you pay for, given, it is a great delay, but if you are just looking for an anlog delay in that price range, get a Diamond Memory Lane. I can get you some soundclips from me if you want.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
^Actually, I'm not willing to spend that much $$$ on a pedal right now. Gonna check out the Ibanez AD9 and MXR Carbon Copy on Friday, though.
Both excellent choices my friend. My personal belief is that the Maxon AD-9 is better though, but the Ibanez is quite good.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
I saw the Maxon, but it's too rich for my blood right now.

After I get the Matamp (eventually)
You have to get some clips of the Matamp up when you get it. I'm interested in hearing it.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
You have to get some clips of the Matamp up when you get it. I'm interested in hearing it.

It's going to be at least a year, if I can find one used.

A new Matamp is worth more than my car.

Here are some good clips, though.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=854231&content=songinfo&songID=6718536

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6230168