im not talking about the candy bar...

yeah so NASA says we have to train the astronauts going to mars by making them go long periods of time without seeing the earth by putting them on the dark side of the moon

ok would it really mater to you if you were on mars and couldnt see earth for a year?
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
no
Don't try engaging me
The vaguest of shrugs
The prescription drugs
You'll never find
A person inside

Quote by saphrax
I agree with This End Up
no

edit:
dang...

..but anyway, I don't think it'd really make that much of a difference...

I guess some people suffer from homesickness, though, so it could be an issue if you're not even on the same planet as what you call home.

(I dunno how long it takes to get messages to/from earth and mars, but) something I'd be worried about is some catastrophy happening on earth while I was on Mars..
Like, what if world War III broke out, or some kind of natural disaster hit that affected the entire world?

I thought about stuff like that in Chemistry class last year...
The classroom I was in was in the middle of the school, with a soundproof door, and no windows, so no natural light or contact with the outside world. Of course, my worries were more "what if it started opuring rain and I have to walk home in it?", but you get the idea...
There was no way to tell what the weather's like, what time of day it is judging by the sun, ect.
I'd assume it'd be similar on Mars..

So to change my answer completely, yes, it could make a difference. I guess the only way to find out is to put astronauts on the dark side of the moon and see what their reaction is..
Last edited by james4 at Sep 22, 2008,
why is NASA being a bitch about it then?

who is pumped about the new space program? what is it called? saturn rockets?
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
It's easy to say you wouldn't care now, sitting in your computer chair, with gravity, and oxygen, and humanity at your fingertips, but imagine being alone on a foreign planet, without seeing the thing on which your whole life depends. That's got to be an immense amount of mental bullshit. It'd probably get hard for me sometimes.
Seeing the earth, as in being on earth around other human beings. Not just, "Hey look, there's earth. Good to know its still around."

Imagine being trapped in a machine for months at a time with at most 10 other people. None of them are probably very good looking either. That'd be a little rough, not something you'd want to jump into cold.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I don't think it would, but it's a lot different posting this in a forum board then actually being on the other side of the moon. I imagine there would be some mixed emotions.
Quote by 40oz2freeedom
just ask her to touch her toes naked....shell never expect whats next
i'd do it.
"Recycling and speed limits are bullshit...They're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed."
Quote by amazing FretMan
im not talking about the candy bar...

yeah so NASA says we have to train the astronauts going to mars by making them go long periods of time without seeing the earth by putting them on the dark side of the moon

ok would it really mater to you if you were on mars and couldnt see earth for a year?

There is no dark side of the moon, just to get that out before a belligerent person says it. I know what you mean though.

I wouldn't care about seeing earth so much, I'd see other planets! that'd kick ass.
They did studies and found that when humans lose sight of the earth something clicks in their head that messes them up a bit. Obviously that isn't the technical definition but it close enough that if you are more curious you could look into it a little more.

Kind of like being home sick, but a little more serious.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
I am sure that there are some pretty heavy psychological implications involved.
Quote by Jericho114
They did studies and found that when humans lose sight of the earth something clicks in their head that messes them up a bit. Obviously that isn't the technical definition but it close enough that if you are more curious you could look into it a little more.

Link to studies? It sounds interesting.
I think subconsciously it's a sense of security. It's probably an experiment as much as training, just to see if it WOULD have an effect.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
i wouldnt care..honestly i would go to mars in a heartbeat...
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
I'm sure that all of the pit monkeys would die with no internet for a year.

There's no internet in mars!
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Quote by Jericho114

Wtf, how do you conduct those kinds of studies?

In front of my computer, I can't see the Earth, yet I am fine. They need to toughen the fork up.
Last edited by Abunai X at Sep 22, 2008,
i think it would not be good psychologically. like they said, it's easy to say it wouldnt matter now, but I know that if it were me out there, it would mess me up not to see Earth. It would seem like the earth was gone if I didn't see it... and this is me imagining what it would be like. I personally think that the astronauts might go insane if they didn't see it. That is why I would never want to stay in space for a long amount of time.

kthxbai

Quote by InvaderTSN
Link to studies? It sounds interesting.

I'd say check out www.newscientist.com that's my only idea of where I read the article. It was from only a few weeks back so it shouldn't be hard to google.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by soulflyV
YOU!

You are the second person I've seen that has stolen my avatar!

Relinquish!

Stolen?! The milk is more legendary than you, or anyone could/would ever be.

If i "stole" it from thee, thee stole it from the general internet.
Quote by Merdesa
There is no dark side of the moon,

as a matter of fact, its all dark!
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Call truce, and I'll change whenever I think of a better avatar, or get bored of this one? Il probably get tired of it, but for now its still hilarity in a gif
well they might have a projector or something in there home so it looks like they see earth...

all i know is there would need to be like 3 girls and 3 guys or something...but damn the PMS

it would be so awesome...i hate the earth and everything in it...i just like the air and food and water
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Quote by james4
no

There was no way to tell what the weather's like, what time of day it is judging by the sun, ect.
I'd assume it'd be similar on Mars..

lol they know what the temperature and weather is like on mars. there are a lot of dust storms and it is VERY cold, something like -225 to 80 degrees F (-225 being the coldest and 80 being the warmest).
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
and be away from the pit!!

what are you thinking
You are now blinking manually
Yeah, they need to do these tests on the astronauts. To Mars and back is a solid 12 month trip. They also need to train the astronauts to withstand long periods of next to no gravity, all those other things that come with travelling in space.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
Yeah, they need to do these tests on the astronauts. To Mars and back is a solid 12 month trip. They also need to train the astronauts to withstand long periods of next to no gravity, all those other things that come with travelling in space.

it will be a 2 year trip all together

and they have exercise machines for them

as for actual weight they are SOL...maybe do that spinning thing on the trip to and from so they have some gravity

imagine how they would feel finally being back on earth...

im sure that in 2020 they will do the tests for mars when we colonize the moon
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
i lost interest after the first sentence

i think not seeing earth would effect the astronauts at maybe a psychological level.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by amazing FretMan
it will be a 2 year trip all together

and they have exercise machines for them

as for actual weight they are SOL...maybe do that spinning thing on the trip to and from so they have some gravity

imagine how they would feel finally being back on earth...

im sure that in 2020 they will do the tests for mars when we colonize the moon

Yeah, I saw a pretty detailed news report on the tests for exercise and gravity. The exercise is supposed to stop their bones breaking down through lack of exercise, I think it was a drop in calcium levels or something.
For the weightlessness, they had people lying in beds at a slight angle, simulating it.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I wouldn't care at all if I didn't see the earth for two years
As long as I had someone I love out there with me
or at least someone I could actually deal with for two years

Meet me in outerspace
We could spend the night, watch the earth come up
I've grown tired of that place, wont you come with me
We could start again
call me Shelby