I have an LP-100, which I got in February, but due to UPS breaking the head off then screwing me over by not paying for repairs, I hadn't played it yet until this weekend. I finally got a new neck for it. So, I tuned it up, plugged it in and started playing. I was horrified. I couldn't believe how crappy it sounded. I had the tone pots turned up all the way, and the pickups were muddy as hell. I was pissed. All that time, and it sounded so awful. But, I was once told something, and I figured I'd try it before selling off the guitar and getting something worth putting pups into. I adjusted the pickup heights. I lowered the bass side of the pickups to where the pickups were parallel to the strings. (They started out with the bass side high) Suddenly the bridge pickup was beautiful. A minor adjustment and I was in heaven. But I switched to the neck pup and was back in hell. It's now adjusted with the treble side as close as possible without causing the strings to hit it, and the bass side adjusted slightly below the face of the pickup ring. It looks ridiculous, but it sounds beautiful. My modded Starcaster just might lose it's spot as my favorite guitar.

/wall-o-text
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by DuctTapeNinja
I have an LP-100, which I got in February, but due to UPS breaking the head off then screwing me over by not paying for repairs, I hadn't played it yet until this weekend. I finally got a new neck for it. So, I tuned it up, plugged it in and started playing. I was horrified. I couldn't believe how crappy it sounded. I had the tone pots turned up all the way, and the pickups were muddy as hell. I was pissed. All that time, and it sounded so awful. But, I was once told something, and I figured I'd try it before selling off the guitar and getting something worth putting pups into. I adjusted the pickup heights. I lowered the bass side of the pickups to where the pickups were parallel to the strings. (They started out with the bass side high) Suddenly the bridge pickup was beautiful. A minor adjustment and I was in heaven. But I switched to the neck pup and was back in hell. It's now adjusted with the treble side as close as possible without causing the strings to hit it, and the bass side adjusted slightly below the face of the pickup ring. It looks ridiculous, but it sounds beautiful. My modded Starcaster just might lose it's spot as my favorite guitar.

/wall-o-text

the fact that you replaced the neck on a les paul should be blasphemy, because a true lp in my opinion is a set neck. but if you think it was worth the effort, and it plays nice, then good on ya
Quote by J Son K
the fact that you replaced the neck on a les paul should be blasphemy, because a true lp in my opinion is a set neck. but if you think it was worth the effort, and it plays nice, then good on ya
Lol, the LP-100 is bolt on. I really wanted a LP Standard, but the price was right for this one, until UPS stepped in. The new neck is actually not even off an Epiphone, it's off a Douglas. (I got shafted on eBay) But it's such a good neck that I don't care about the name on the head. I'm loving this guitar.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

You can still change the neck on a set neck, but it'd be way more difficult then taking off some screws.

Glad things worked out for you. I'm sure you would have felt like an ass if the person who would have baught it did that and had it sounding good lol.
Quote by caraluzzo
You can still change the neck on a set neck, but it'd be way more difficult then taking off some screws.

Not really. You can take it to a professional luthier, pay him hundreds to sand the finish off of the neck joint, steam the joint so that it becomes unglued, take out the neck, glue in a new neck, refinish the area around the neck joint, etc. It's hardly the same as taking four bolts out. In all but mid-to-high end guitars, the procedure for changing the neck on a set-neck guitar is far too costly, to the point where the cost equals or is more than the entire value of the guitar in the first place. So while you technically can change the neck on a set-neck, it's hardly the same as on a bolt on.
All the people that cry about their pickups sounding like shat (single coil or humbuckers) never even think about adjusting them. They just spend cash on new ones. Adjusting pickups is the first thing people should do before buying new ones. Good job.
Quote by Martin Scott
Yeah, ultimately it's not worth getting so pedantic over the particulars of such a cheap guitar. I'd have gotten a Fender neck, just for the "lulz factor" haha.
If Fender used a 24.5" scale, I would. But they use a 25.5" scale.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by DuctTapeNinja
If Fender used a 24.5" scale, I would. But they use a 25.5" scale.

If you really feel like spending money for a 24.5 neck, Warmoth makes Gibson Scale necks that look like Fenders
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm
Of course, I don't know what you would have to do to get a decal, but this is the next best thing.
Quote by brandonroy
All the people that cry about their pickups sounding like shat (single coil or humbuckers) never even think about adjusting them. They just spend cash on new ones. Adjusting pickups is the first thing people should do before buying new ones. Good job.

...what he said.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Quote by Kikral
If you really feel like spending money for a 24.5 neck, Warmoth makes Gibson Scale necks that look like Fenders
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm
Of course, I don't know what you would have to do to get a decal, but this is the next best thing.
Nah, I prefer the Epiphone look anyway. Like I said, I thought I was buying an Epi neck.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw