As I'm quite a nooblet at Bass pedals/effects I've been thinking about getting a pedal for awhile so I was just wondering what should I get I play Death Metal so maybe distortion and also in your opinions what are the best effects/pedals

Cheers
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
I enjoy the Big Muff. You can get a Bass Muff but the Big Muff works nicely too.
EDIT: I don't own either of those though, I've used the Big Muff. I use a Boss DS-1. It works fine, but I don't play in a metal band.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I would check out the SansAmp Bass Driver.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Russian Big Muff, Thats a fair metal pedal

Or any kind of distortion or overdrive with a fair bit of gain!
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Not the guitar Big Muffs, they kill way to much low end for metal, unless you only use it for guitar-esque solos, like Cliff Burton.

And the Bass version isn't really good.

Contrary to popular opinion, bassists in death metal don't generally use a lot of distortion. Most play either clean, or with a touch of overdrive. Too much distortion and you disappear into the mix in a wall of noise. However, it is more popular in Grindcore.

I use a Fulltone bass drive, and a lot of what I play is metal. Normally, I run it so I just add a touch of overdrive to my clean tone, and I can then step on the boost channel for a very thick overdrive. It sounds brilliant and gives an incredible range of overdrive sounds. Just don't expect it to do really extreme fuzz sounds.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Get an ebs valve drive there's i think two tubes in there that help turn it into the nicest overdrive pedal ever.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Personally i wouldn't use a pedal, for one you never really need it, i think it sounds good just natrual just messing with the tone and EQ but thats just me.
for death metal, all you really need (if anything) is distortion for that check out this site. I'm really interested in getting the wounded paw attack goat or the 3XFX fatman/V2 (ESPECIALLY the latter)
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
^ this

There was a thread about how to cut through in a metal band a few weeks ago, which had a link to a thread on talkbass that I found really helpful.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
if you buy anything, get an ehx steel leather. it will actually be suitable.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The Boss DS-1 is a very good distortion pedal for its price. I play in a power trip sometimes, and I use it because the distortion bass adds some depth to our sound.
4 strings good, 6 strings bad.