I need to renotate a song in a diff time signature. the original example is in 2/4 and mine has to be 2/2. the first measure in the original ex. is 2 eighth notes and a quarter note.

What would it be in the new time signature, where the half note gets the beat instead of the quarter note, and why?

thanks, I can't figure it out.
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
First off a time signature isn't a fraction, my theory prof beats that into everybody's heads the first day.

In simplest terms change quarter notes into half, eights into quarters, sixteenths into eighths, etc. And of course, the time signature from 2 4 to 2 2 time. It would still be conducted the same since there's still 2 beats in a bar.
well, 2/4 means that you get two quarter notes per measure, while 2/2 means you have 2 half notes per measure, so just join a set of two adjoining bars into the same measure (1&2 become measure 1, 3&4 become 2, etc) and that should be about it, you probably wanna play it, have someone play it for you, or even more effectively input the music into guitar pro/power tab/finale/sibelius any other program of the like and have that play it for you in both versions just to see if they sound the same
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Quote by Jastul
so just join a set of two adjoining bars into the same measure

He was asked to change the time signature, not re-bar the music.
thanks for the help, i think i actually might get it now!
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
Your new first measure would be two quarter notes in place of the two original eighth notes and then one half note in place of the original quarter note. Basically, all of your note values are doubling in terms of which note value you replace the originals with.

Sixteenths become eighths
Eighths become quarters
Quarters become halves
Halves become wholes
etc.
american names for note values stink!

notes are connected into beats in 2 2 you have two minum beats so quavers are grouped in 4's
Here lies a problem that most guitar players face in this day of internet tab and short attention spans — they don't know how to express themselves.

-Nick Layton
Quote by pwrmax
First off a time signature isn't a fraction
That is an important concept to understand, but you have to write it with a slash on here. It looks like a fraction, but we all understand that we're talking about time signatures.

Quote by whoisthisguy
american names for note values stink!

notes are connected into beats in 2 2 you have two minum beats so quavers are grouped in 4's

Quote by Cas
Quaver notation is fucking idiotic (sic)
QFT

Call them 8th and 16th notes so people know what the hell you're trying to ask or tell.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Call them 8th and 16th notes so people know what the hell you're trying to ask or tell.

8th and 16th might not be understood by someone who's learnt it in quavers, crotchets ect.

Also, through this reasoning we should call Dorian mode the-mode-that-starts-on-the-second-note-of-the-major-scale and a perfect fourth the-interval-between-the-first-and-fourth-notes-of-the-major-scale.

I don't see any reason why people can't learn a few words that will help them communicate with others better.
Quote by 12345abcd3
I don't see any reason why people can't learn a few words that will help them communicate with others better.

Wasted brain power, you can use something simpler to get to the same point faster.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Wasted brain power, you can use something simpler to get to the same point faster.

The why not call Dorian 2nd mode, or Ionian 1st mode?
Quote by 12345abcd3
8th and 16th might not be understood by someone who's learnt it in quavers, crotchets ect.

Also, through this reasoning we should call Dorian mode the-mode-that-starts-on-the-second-note-of-the-major-scale and a perfect fourth the-interval-between-the-first-and-fourth-notes-of-the-major-scale.

i'm sure if someone took the time to learn teh words for the note durations they would know how much of the measure they take up...
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.