Okay, so I'm trying to decide on pickups and where to put em, I'm thinking either 81/85, 85/81, 81/60 or 85/60. What in your opinions would you say is my best choice? I play alot of hardcore/metal type stuff, lots of palm muting, pinch harmonics, which combo would you say is the best for that?

P.S. I'm doing the 18v mod.
If money is no object I would say these would be what you're after.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Whats your budget??

Active pickups are horrible. Yes, they have a lot of output, but their tone is just horrid. IMO SD Blackouts sound slightly better than EMGs, so if you are going active then they are worth checking out.

But if money isn't an issue for you then you should check out some Bare Knuckle pickups - www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Sep 22, 2008,
^ Tone is subjective.
I would have to say the 81/60 combo. 81 in the bridge, 60 in the neck.
18v mod will really open em' up too.
What amp you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
to the guys who suggested blackout, thanks but I'll probably stick with emg, so to rephrase my question "Which of these EMG's would be the best combo?"
Depends on your amp and also the kind of tone you're looking for, based on what it is you think is lacking currently.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Well I just want to replace the stock pickups, I want to be able to play on full distortion without it sounding muddy or compressed (18v mod helps for that), I want to be able to play good leads and solo and decent cleans to. Out of these choices which would you say is the best pickup combo? Forgt the amp for now, I'm not worried about that, my amp sounds good enough for me.
I like the 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. I almost got a 60 for the neck but after I played a guitar with the 81 & 85 and another guitar with the 81 & 60 combo I decided I like the 81 & 85 best. The 18 volt mod does help open them up, too.
what is your opinion on 85/60 with 18v mod? I heard someone using the 85 in the bridge and it sounded great and I'm pretty dead set on the 60 I think, does it sounds like a good combo? I l just feel as if everyone uses the 81/85 combo and I don't want to sound identical to every metal player right? What about 85 in bridge and 81 in neck with 18v mod? Any input?
Just because you use the same pickups as other people doesn't mean you're all gonna sound the same. Amps, effects, settings and guitars all determine your sound. I use the Zakk Wylde set and I don't sound anywhere close to his sound. Kerry King uses the same pickups and my tone is closer to his than it is Zakk's but it's still not the same. Hetfield uses a 60 in the neck and I can get close to his sound with my 85.
Quote by TenjouAhs
Forgt the amp for now, I'm not worried about that, my amp sounds good enough for me.

He's asking because the amp is much more influential on your tone than pickups.

And if you've got a piss poor amp, new pickups won't don't squat for you.

And if you've got a solid state amp, active pickups aren't the best route. They're designed to drive the front end of a tube amp hard.
Quote by TenjouAhs
Well I just want to replace the stock pickups, I want to be able to play on full distortion without it sounding muddy or compressed (18v mod helps for that), I want to be able to play good leads and solo and decent cleans to. Out of these choices which would you say is the best pickup combo? Forgt the amp for now, I'm not worried about that, my amp sounds good enough for me.

Once again, what amp are you using - there's no point asking for pickup suggestions if you're not going to give people the basic information required to make a recommendation. Knowing the guitar you're using wouldn't exactly hurt either...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Right now I'm just using a spider III 30 watt, not huge and it's solid state but it sounds great. the guitar I'm looking for pickups for is the Ibanez RGT42FM, maple neck-thru, walnut striped and mahogany wings.
To improve the sound, I will be buying a half-stack in the next few months or year, I'd like to get this done first so I don't have to pay for it all at once. Okay lets say I buy a Signature Kerry King stack, which combo would you suggest then lol. Also even with this amp it will make a difference, because my neck pickup sound really muddy right now tot he point that I can't even use it because currently the guitar is wired so that the bridge pickup is an active emg 81 and the neck pickup is still the passive stock ibanez pickup. I know it's dumb, the previous owner had done it.
Quote by TenjouAhs
Right now I'm just using a spider III 30 watt, not huge and it's solid state but it sounds great. the guitar I'm looking for pickups for is the Ibanez RGT42FM, maple neck-thru, walnut striped and mahogany wings.

Changing your pickups really isn't going to help you any... especially changing to actives when you are using an SS amp - because, as it has already been pointed out, active pickups are designed to drive a tube amp.

You're best bet would be to use the $200 that you would spend on EMGs and put it toward a better amp. A new amp will improve your tone significantly, whereas changing your pickups will be only slightly noticeable.
Quote by TenjouAhs

Save your money then, EMG's aren't going to help your tone any, and if it already sounds great why do you have the urge to waste $200? In fact you might want to read the threads where people are having a bad time with EMGs and solid state amps....good solid state amps at that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by TenjouAhs
To improve the sound, I will be buying a half-stack in the next few months or year, I'd like to get this done first so I don't have to pay for it all at once. Okay lets say I buy a Signature Kerry King stack, which combo would you suggest then lol. Also even with this amp it will make a difference, because my neck pickup sound really muddy right now tot he point that I can't even use it because currently the guitar is wired so that the bridge pickup is an active emg 81 and the neck pickup is still the passive stock ibanez pickup. I know it's dumb, the previous owner had done it.

You can't even know how your tone needs to be tweaked until you get your "ideal" amp. Choosing pickups now would be foolish. It'd be a waste of 200 dollars.

At 550 bucks, you can get a great gigable metal combo amp. It'll have plenty of gain, and enough volume to play a gig.

BTW, what are you using your neck pickup for? It's not really suited for rhythm or anything, just use it for solos or cleans.
These guys know what they're talking about. At least get a Blackheart 5W tube amp and a OD pedal before getting EMG's.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.