Hi there everybody ! I'm new here and at guitar in general. After playing guitar for a little over a month I want a little assistance on what I should be moving onto next.

Here is a list of what I know so far (not much, lol):

* Basic Music Theory
* Guitar tablature
* Bending
* Hammer ons
* Pull offs
* Tuning

I've also been playing many songs.

Should I learn chords, and if so, where should I start ? I really want to speed up my fingers does anyone have any exercises they can recommend ? I heard from someone that scales are the best way to speed up your fingers, is this true ? If it helps, my goal is to play songs from the hard rock and heavy metal genre, does anyone have any good song recommendations for beginners in those genres ? Are there any other things I should know ? Please feel free to elaborate.

Sorry, I know that this is a lot to ask but I'd really appreciate the help

Thanks =D
hey im about were you are at but a little bit further. i would say that learning scales has increased some speed in my fingers but you just need to put quite a lot of time and dedication into it.

i would start learning chords and a simple song which is quite fun to play is guns n roses- dont cry. brilliant song and fun to play. some songs which is quite easy to play is something like nickelback- animals and weezer- pork and beans.

god luck.
Start learning chords - you'll struggle to play any songs without them. Start with the standard open major chords.

Forget speed, it's not something you can force - concentrate on playing accurately and cleanly, speed will come with time. Scales do not make you play faster, all that happens is people over-emphasise scales in their practice routine and end up getting fast at playing them so they *think* they can play faster when in fact all they can do is play scales fast which is no use to anyone.

You've only been playing a month, that's no time at all - remember you'll be learning to play the thing for the rest of your life, you can't learn it all at once and it's not a race, there's no prizes for learning things quicker.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 22, 2008,
You learnt all that in a month ?

Anyhow, I learnt chords first. Maybe because I started on the acoustic.

It wasnt till I got an electric that I tried pull offs.
i would start with chords that you don't have to barre. such as G D Em C, with those chords you can play any song with a capo. but just basic chords you don't have to barre are good starters and after you build finger strength start doing some easy barre chords
Quote by steven seagull
Start learning chords - you'll struggle to play any songs without them. Start with the standard open major chords.

Forget speed, it's not something you can force - concentrate on playing accurately and cleanly, speed will come with time. Scales do not make you play faster, all that happens is people over-emphasise scales in their practice routine and end up getting fast at playing them so they *think* they can play faster when in fact all they can do is play scales fast which is no use to anyone.

You've only been playing a month, that's no time at all - remember you'll be learning to play the thing for the rest of your life, you can't learn it all at once and it's not a race, there's no prizes for learning things quicker.

Damn you seagull! Why don't you let us give some advice!
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Well, here's how I went about it once upon a time:
1. Broaden your musical tastes, try different styles.
2. Continue playing songs that you like. Eventually you'll be forced to learn a technique that you don't already know. (For example, when I learned Motorbreath by Metallica, I learned that I couldn't only down-pick everytime I play. Consequentially, I learned alternate and directional picking, which really increased my speed.)
3. Play with other people. You'll pick up a thing or three. =)
Quote by Froboarder
Well, here's how I went about it once upon a time:
1. Broaden your musical tastes, try different styles.
2. Continue playing songs that you like. Eventually you'll be forced to learn a technique that you don't already know. (For example, when I learned Motorbreath by Metallica, I learned that I couldn't only down-pick everytime I play. Consequentially, I learned alternate and directional picking, which really increased my speed.)
3. Play with other people. You'll pick up a thing or three. =)

true

i dont know anyone else that plays guitar in my area, so waht do i do
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
I would say learn all your basic open chords and learn all the notes of the fretboard in first position. Then practice chromatic and spider scales to build finger strength and dexterity.
About the chords...start with the major ones and those which you don't need to barre,like C,D,A,G and E.
Now,covering speed...(breathes deeply):

Speed is the product of a memorized mechanical motion which is executed automatically.Now,what does this mean?Simple.You can play fast (and accurately) only after you've got the fingering and picking pattern down and clear,which birngs us to a theory I've bumped into this week...
I was sitting on my bed,with the guitar on my lap,complaining about the damn scales...then I realized that just playing scales could make me a fast guitarist,but not a musical one.
So,my point is: you can get speed just by playing songs!Of course,scales ARE important,especially if you want to create your own songs and solos...but that's not the only way to achieve speed.
Yeah, the whole speed thing is something I realized just comes with time. I've only been playing for around a month and sadly haven't been able to practice quite as much as I wanted to with being sick and starting a new college semester. Learning chords is one of the best things to do. Personally, I've started with a few easy songs, like Wonderwall and I actually liked learning part of Say Its Possible by Terra Naomi. Just practicing chords you work up the memory in your fingers to move them without really thinking. So speed is really dependent on that, you will just notice yourself getting faster, but like everyone is saying, its more important to just get timing and practice on it, speed comes with learning that.
Next song to learn... Complicated (Avril Lavigne, except I was inspired by the way Ben Gibbard did it ^_^'')

Scales with help with finger independence. I'm still working on getting my fingers to do what I want immediately. And my hand to strum only certain strings too. Just takes time and patience. And yeah, one month is nothing compared to our lifetime...
Guitars Owned: Yamaha F335