Well I'm new to recording and I've been looking around for some decent gear with a price range of max. 1000 euro. The things I want to record are

- electric guitar (amp, not directly connected)
- acoustic guitar
- piano
- vocals

I was thinking of the Shure SM57 for the amp and piano. Shure SM58 for vocals and acoustic guitar. I only record guitar+vocals or piano+vocals so 2 mic inputs is enough for now.

For the interface I need a firewire connection so I can easily move my laptop around. I read good things about the Presonus Firebox and Presonus Inspire (what's the difference?) and M-Audio Firewire 410. I'm leaning towards the Firebox, but how does it compare to the other 2?

So the question is: is this a decent setup? are there any better alternatives? any advice is welcome
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Seems cool, ever think about looking into a guitar synth? just a suggestion but if your recording it come open up world of ideas, best of luck with it
Quote by HEXAGRAM66
Seems cool, ever think about looking into a guitar synth? just a suggestion but if your recording it come open up world of ideas, best of luck with it

a guitar synth? will that produce other instrument sounds with my guitar? atm i just want to record some basic tracks. i'll add drums and bass to my own recordings for now
Main gear
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
on the subject of firewire, only the larger 6-pin connection will provide buss-power from the laptop.
most laptops have smaller, 4-pin firewire connections that wont actually provide power. worth keeping in mind.
Quote by TheDriller
on the subject of firewire, only the larger 6-pin connection will provide buss-power from the laptop.
most laptops have smaller, 4-pin firewire connections that wont actually provide power. worth keeping in mind.

thanks for the advice!

i cant wait to go to the store and check teh stuff out
Main gear
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
I'm a fan of the Inspire for getting started.

Also, what type of piano? I've used dual sm57's to record an upright, but if it's a grand or baby grand you may have to do some research.

If you have room in your budget, I would consider a decent large diaphragm condenser mic for both acoustic and vocals.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Although the firebox probably has a few more connections on the back panel the Inspire is a better starting interface and will save you a little money.

I do suggest either getting the 57 OR the 58....but not both.
If you get the 57 and leave out the 58 you would have enough cash for the MXL 990/991 set which is better for acoustic guitar, vocals, and some pianos.

The 57 is fair on vocals and acoustic guitar but is more for drums and amp cabs.

Quote by TheDriller

yea most laptops have 4 pin meaning you will have to plug into wall power in order to get the interface working.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 22, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
Although the firebox probably has a few more connections on the back panel the Inspire is a better starting interface and will save you a little money.

I do suggest either getting the 57 OR the 58....but not both.
If you get the 57 and leave out the 58 you would have enough cash for the MXL 990/991 set which is better for acoustic guitar, vocals, and some pianos.

The 57 is fair on vocals and acoustic guitar but is more for drums and amp cabs.

yea most laptops have 4 pin meaning you will have to plug into wall power in order to get the interface working.

thanks! so 57 for recording my amplifier. the mxl set for acoustic guitar and vocals.

not sure which type of piano it is, but it looks like this

which kind of mic is suitable to record that? 57 or mxl?
Main gear
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
I have a Mackie Onyx Satellite and a Shure SM57 as my recording setup at the moment, and that's it.
It records guitar, acoustic guitar, bass and vocals fine.
Never tried to record piano with it, but for that I'd probably get a nice large diaphragm mic as an overhead or something.
Member of the Laney Cult
That would be an upright piano.
You MAY want to get two MXL 991s to capture a stereo image of the piano...makes for a fuller sound. Thing is they are not sold in stores as a 2-pack so you would have to look on ebay.

Who knows, someone may even have two 991s and a single 990 being sold...

The SM57 is somewhat of a "General Use" type mic however no mic can be used for everything....if this was the case there would only be one type of microphone on store shelves...

You have to match the microphone, (though trial and error sometimes) to the sound source.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 23, 2008,
If it's an upright you should be fine with a pair of instrument mics like the SM57. I like 2 57s on the back pointing at the sound board on the back of the piano About 1-2 feet away from the sound board. It'll give you a more compressed sound and it should mix well.

If you want something more airy, perhaps with more hammer noise try putting them on a boom stand, opening the top of the piano and pointing them down toward the sound board on the inside.

If it was grand style it would be more diffucult. That's why I was asking.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic