Using passives (EMG HZ), my randall RG75G2 sounds fantastic, even tho the pickup is really bad, but when using the EMG 81... the tone is really compressed and clips and basically i cant get a good tone out of it, and its not the pickup itself, its just the combination of the EMG and the solid state randall, so what are my options?

Will using a metal muff into the clean channel sound decent?

Are there any pedals with a tube preamp that would handle the extra output of the EMG well and work well with the clean channel?

And while were at this, do hybird amps handle actives better then regular amps?

Anyone have any experiences with EMG'S and solid states? how did u get your tone?
"It sounded so good and when i put it on a Line 6 Spider with a Zoom guitar efect petal it sounded so good" - Dean SplitTail review on musicians friend
Try turning down the gain on your amp?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
A compressed tone is a characteristic of active pickups anyway, but the increased output level often sends a solid state amp into clipping, you're not going to be able to get round that with a pedal, you'll still get the same clipping. All you can do is turn down the volume on the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hmm, try backing off on the volume knob on the EMG81. Personally my EMGs sound fine running into my SS amp, my brother's modelling SS amp and my Pocket POD.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Hmm, try backing off on the volume knob on the EMG81. Personally my EMGs sound fine running into my SS amp, my brother's modelling SS amp and my Pocket POD.

Do you have any comparable passives? did u drastically change your EQ?
"It sounded so good and when i put it on a Line 6 Spider with a Zoom guitar efect petal it sounded so good" - Dean SplitTail review on musicians friend
^^ like these guys say, roll back the volume on your guitar and possibly on your amp too.

active pickups require a bit of tweaking on your amp settings when switching from passive to active and vice versa

(i have both HZ and 81)
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by angl2k
^^ like these guys say, roll back the volume on your guitar and possibly on your amp too.

active pickups require a bit of tweaking on your amp settings when switching from passive to active and vice versa

(i have both HZ and 81)

both HZ and 81? same as me...

What did u do when you changed to 81? for example did u max all the EQ'S or did u run it through a pedal? please explain : )
Quote by Epic_chef
both HZ and 81? same as me...

What did u do when you changed to 81? for example did u max all the EQ'S or did u run it through a pedal? please explain : )

my HZ settings were gain 1 o'clock and EQ was i think bass 11 o'clock mid and high 2 o'clock

when i switched to 81 i keep the volume knob about 8/10 and i decreased my gain to 11 o'clock

never max out all EQ's, it's better to keep them all at 12 o'clock (or 5/10) then work from that.

no pedals except a tuner pedal
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by angl2k
my HZ settings were gain 1 o'clock and EQ was i think bass 11 o'clock mid and high 2 o'clock

when i switched to 81 i keep the volume knob about 8/10 and i decreased my gain to 11 o'clock

never max out all EQ's, it's better to keep them all at 12 o'clock (or 5/10) then work from that.

no pedals except a tuner pedal

Are you playing metal with those settings?
i would buy a tube amp if i was you, it would really make the tone of your EMG come through.

DO NOT BUY A METAL MUFF IF YOU USE THE 81 the combination of the internal boost in the pickup then it getting boosted again byt the metal muff will send it all crazy.

turn down the gain on your amp and have full volume on your guitar (this will push you amp into distortion without using the gain) fiddle around with your eq until it sounds good to you, actives require a lot of fiddling with the eq
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
This is common with HOT pickups. Active or passive, doesn't matter.
Hot pickups work good for tube amps, which is what they were designed for.
Your going to have to roll off that volume to get the gain at a usuable level.

Solid state amps hate hot pickups.
Quote by 2_much_gear
This is common with HOT pickups. Active or passive, doesn't matter.
Hot pickups work good for tube amps, which is what they were designed for.
Your going to have to roll off that volume to get the gain at a usuable level.

Solid state amps hate hot pickups.

Would a hybird amp work well with actives then?
Quote by Epic_chef
Would a hybird amp work well with actives then?

Not really, it has like, 1 valve in the preamp - it would hardly change much.

Best bets are to get a valve amp, or change the pickups.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Thats heaps for the help guys, let this thread die.

Cheers again
Solid states typically don't pair well with EMGs in my experience. They get really icy and shrill.

I'd get a tube amp. Try one, you'll see the difference the EMGs make.
Gibson.