Hey everyone, i'm pretty new to this forum so I thought that i would utilize the knowledge out there. I have a 210 watt Peavey Austin 400. I am currently running a Korg AX1500G through it but am looking to upgrade to individual pedals instead of a multi-effect. I've read on a lot of these other forums that certain overdrives and distortions sound bad on a solid state amp. I really like this solid state amp, even though its not a tube. I recently got an Epiphone Prophecy GX with Dirty Fingers pickups that boots the amp into overdrive with the pure hotness of the pickups. What kind of distortion (or overdrive?) would sound best in a solid state amp with that kind of power?
Distortion is the way to go. Overdrive isn't designed for SS amps. What's your budget?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Distortion is the way to go. Overdrive isn't designed for SS amps. What's your budget?

Money isn't an issue. I just want the best bang for my buck! I hear the metal muffs or something similar produce a good sound.
Quote by theoreticmusic

WRONG. Overdrive pedals are designed to give the sound of mild tube overdrive in a clean signal path, like into the clean channel of an SS amp. People just like to use them as a front end boost because they tend to be cleaner when set to no gain/high boost then most distortion pedals.

Still, I'd start with a distortion pedal, it's more likely to cover most of what you'll be playing, unless classic rock is the highest gain you regularly go.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
WRONG. Overdrive pedals are designed to give the sound of mild tube overdrive in a clean signal path, like into the clean channel of an SS amp. People just like to use them as a front end boost because they tend to be cleaner when set to no gain/high boost then most distortion pedals.

Still, I'd start with a distortion pedal, it's more likely to cover most of what you'll be playing, unless classic rock is the highest gain you regularly go.

The preamp of an SS amp isn't designed to be overdriven. It'll clip if you use it with any substantial amount of gain, so you won't really get any decent distortion.

TS: Lets see.
You might like a ProCo Rat ($89)
BBE Crusher (79)
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem ($227)
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
maybe i read your post wrong, but if it's just for practice and you want to hear some tube OD, you might want to pick up a small 5W tube amp. you can get one for around $120.

if you really just want a pedal, what type of music, cant you get with your amp?
are we talking about high gain?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^^ The pedal only overdrives the preamp when used as a boost. When the signal leaving the pedal isn't boosted (gain up, level set fairly low) the pedal won't cause the amp to overdrive, the pedal just makes the sound of an overdriven tube amp.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Last edited by STABxYOU at Sep 22, 2008,
Quote by STABxYOU
^^ The pedal only overdrives the preamp when used as a boost. When the signal leaving the pedal isn't boosted (gain up, level set fairly low) the pedal won't cause the amp to overdrive, the pedal just makes the sound of an overdriven tube amp.

Yes but that's definitely not the usual application for an overdrive pedal, most people use them to tighten up their sound and use them with the level up and gain down.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
I play a lot of christian rock. the deal is the amp sounds decent when cranked up because the dirty fingers pups kick the amp into overdrive with a crunchy sound. The problem is they want to eliminate stage noise so i have to keep my amp volume fairly low which doesn't allow for that clean overdrive sound. So i'm looking for something where i can adjust the level of distortion so as not to get a death metal sound but something that rocks much like the overdrive sound i get when the amp is cranked.
Quote by thsrayas
Yes but that's definitely not the usual application for an overdrive pedal, most people use them to tighten up their sound and use them with the level up and gain down.

Many people like to use their overdrive pedals as something they weren't designed for, as a clean boost. This doesn't change what the pedal was designed for, only adds a secondary use. I described what the pedal was designed for... but at least we're now all on the same page.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by Djaykid11
I play a lot of christian rock. the deal is the amp sounds decent when cranked up because the dirty fingers pups kick the amp into overdrive with a crunchy sound. The problem is they want to eliminate stage noise so i have to keep my amp volume fairly low which doesn't allow for that clean overdrive sound. So i'm looking for something where i can adjust the level of distortion so as not to get a death metal sound but something that rocks much like the overdrive sound i get when the amp is cranked.

I'd do that with either a vintagy-voiced distortion or an OD pedal, the level set neutral (the signal leaving the pedal is as loud as the signal going in) with the gain set to your taste.

Or, perhaps run your amp louder and get a noise gate to reduce feedback and hum without changing the volume level.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
TS, name some artists we would know that have a sound that you're looking for so we can give better recommendations. That or some links to audio clips.

Quote by STABxYOU
Many people like to use their overdrive pedals as something they weren't designed for, as a clean boost. This doesn't change what the pedal was designed for, only adds a secondary use. I described what the pedal was designed for... but at least we're now all on the same page.

Yep.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
it's hard to say which pedal is going to get exactly what you're looking for.

from your post i was thinking Boss blues driver. but a DS-1 is fine for most applications.

you use it with the clean channel, so you'd be dependant on the pedal for the tone.

ds-1s are fine for medium, buzzy gain.

any way you can go to a GC to try some with your amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Djaykid11

After reading the entire thread and re-reading this I think you may want to look at a new amp. There is no reason why you can't get this with roughly $200. I know you like your current amp. Keep it. Sell it. Whatever.

Examples:
Crate V18 $149 right now if you get on a list.
Epi Valve Jr $249 or something - forget.
Roland Cube 30 $220
Fender SuperChamp $269 (right now kids)

wut - the Crates on GC are roughly $20 bucks lower then yesterday. wtf?

otherwise, set an OD pedal to 0 gain and 10 boost level on clean channel or dirty and see what happens.