EDITED: examples and faq added on bottom of this post.

In my belief oscillation picking happens naturally in any style of music. I will tell you why I think so. This is also more the science of how speed works in all things that move in life. And use it too help you future guitarplayers out

You walk too a wall, stop, turn around and go back. This is like alternate picking. going up or down, and scientificly only if it's for a nanosecond; there's a point where u turn around. A point of zero speed which u can't skip due too law of energy and movement. Here follow 2 examples in visual form too explain it better.

Example 1:
If u go from A to B and back, u must stop in order to return back to A if u follow that direct line. (B has a point of 0 speed at one moment in time (scientificly proven)
If u pick faster to return on the same path using Alternate picking, u need to use more energy to slow down ur attack on the string/note at the point of 0. Ur stopping energy instead of redirecting energy.

Example 2:
If u take the upper path from A - B and the lower 1 to go back to A. U never stop ur movement(u redirect ur energy). Which in theory has more potential for faster and smoother playing.

If u watch some Steve Ray Vaughan footage during rhythm passages; u can see his hand move sometimes in a circle over his strings. Down strokes at his neck pickup, upstrokes at the bridge, as if he was winding something up.

This is in basic sense the same principle(that oscilation picking is not just a shred technique) No point of stopping which means no waste of energy, resulting in better swing and less fatique.

How is this gonna help you?
You can play much faster when mastered cause u never waste energy between picking strokes since there's never a point of 0. It also means ur hands will get less fatiqued at faster passages.

You see the fastest players do a passage and the first thing u will likely think is. WHY DOES IT LOOK SO EASY and EFFORTLESs?

Answer: Because it is! They use their energy like 10 times more efficient and waste none of it.

In my belief alot of people develop this (unconsicously), even if it's to small to notice.

You know why I Think this? Because every time in interview a Shredder is asked how he picks;They say I do what feels Natural. In movement, it is more natural to oscillate pick cause the energy from the picking flows better. That's why Shawn lane could play 10 hours super fast and probably got more fatique from slicing bread.

So basically all shredders answered your question. I'm just stating in science terms what they really mean.

How do you get fast?
You just play guitar and try faster passages as u progress(with metronome). The speed is already in ur arms. All you need is mucle memory which teaches you muscles how too use the speed.

What licks too practice?
Well basically any licks. Keys is too play on the edge of comfort and going over the border of new ideas. The big reason why the shredders are fast is because they didn't force speed. It comes naturally and that's why they can play almost any lick at the same speed. If u force speed, You learn how too stop energy in a particular lick (when alternate picking). You will find big gaps in speed between different licks. When u learn too redirect energy, ur fretboard will open up(gospel aaaaaaaahs lol), and u will string ideas together like conversations.

EXAMPLES

Okay some people think that this takes more energy. So here more examples:

Rowing has a circular movement, swimming is circular moverment. Pistons of a car engine work in a circular movement, martial arts work because of redirecting energy, riding ur bike works in a circular movement. writing works with circular movements

I can go on like this allllll day long for any object that works based on movement. I mean seriously, how long does it take you too understand that circle movement is the most efficient energy there is.

Small notes on grammar:
I'm Dutch and i don't have microsoft word (checker), but the essence is clear enough, and if you only comment on typo's u should visit a grammar forum not music forum. OR else i'm gonna comment on your social ability, and it will turn in a childsplay which wastes this little article, which in my belief clears up most if not all the questions you had.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 22, 2008,
Just practice picking in this manner, thats all you can do. I'd suggest you start with one string, getting a continous even pace then move onto change strings.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Last edited by public property at Sep 22, 2008,
but this way requires more movement of the arm, which requires energy or to move the wirst in odd movements, which requires energy.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
wrong. Trust me constantly slowing down and speeding up ur arm takes way more energy.

This counts for everything in life.

A heavy bal takes alot of energy too get moving, but once it rolls it requires little energy.

If you run from ur front door to ur back door and back for 1 mile u be 10 times more exhausted then if u run 1 mile in constant motion.

Constant motion is the key here.

What makes you think that if this rule counts for any object that exists on this planet, it won't rule for guitar?

Speed is not a gift or talent or some mystery. It's basic science.

It's about energy countering other energy. Things go faster and smoother if you go around the wall instead of trying to go through it.

Redirecting energy, but u can believe ur own thing if you want, but you will never get the smoothness of the fastest players out there unless you develop sick muscles too take all the punch of constantly stopping and speeding up.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
but this way requires more movement of the arm, which requires energy or to move the wirst in odd movements, which requires energy.[/QUOTE

The way I oscillate requires no arm motion aside to move my hand to change strings.

ÇHeck my post it's edited. Examples at the bottom. It's basically his word againt all the things we take for granted in life. lol

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??

The muscles in your arm do not work liek this.

If you preform oscillation like your second picture, the translatory muscles still have to stop the arm, look at it as vectors and its obvious.

The main reason oscillation is seen as superior is because it uses larger, stronger, more flexible muscles to do the bulk of the hard work.

At the end of the day, everyone uses a mix of motions. The idea of pure motions is irrelevant to real guitar playing, imo.
But muscles do work like that.

Put ur arm in the position u use ur mouse.

Then pretend ur drawing a line from left to right (Without lifting ur arm)

Then pretend ur drawing the letter O in the same postion over and over again.

I bet Drawing the letter O takes way less energy and feels far more natural the the stripe.

Same goes with funk guitar. It's far more natural too keep going up and down with ur picking arm when u not play chords then too stop between chords.

Constant Motion happens everywhere.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??

Vectors.

Right, anyway, when you draw the O, the tensor muscle that moved you "down" or "right" has to be countered by the "up" or "left" extensor muscle to allow you to change direction.

As for funk, that's as more to do with timing. If your argument was valid, I could argue that I should be still walking in circles here at the net cafe to make it a less tiring journey home.
as u walk home u already perform constant motion because ur legs work in a circular way.

And i know it's for timing in funk but this is for timing also in shred. Ur right arm can never stop moving in a passage of constant notes,if it does even with a second, ur basically off timing already.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
really? everyone oscillate picks? i had no idea.
oscillation picking doesn't make you more tired or less tired, if you practice it or anything else just enough.
i can honestly say that my picking arm never gets tired anymore. only my picking thumb. and why? i've been practicing for long enough, plus, i work out.
there's no superior picking style. that's like debating alternate picking and economy picking. i say economy, another guy says alt. whose word means more?

ok that ^ statement right there you just posted made me run away from this topic forever.
Yes everyone applies a bit of oscillation.

If you filmed ur picking hand at like 400 frames a second(in a fast and clean passage). I can bet you that after striking a note and u go back up u will see a small curve at the end of ur pickstroke.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
All the effort you don't use stopping you going side to side is used to stop you going up and down, so there is no difference in the actual effort required, its pretty simple.

if your only using your wrist like you should of course its going to curve a little bit! its not like the joints move perfectly sideways.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I knew this as circle picking more than oscillation picking, it's pretty hard to adapt to for me though, I'm actually trying to break free from my lazy econo picking style.
I agree with Freepower, go and look up vectors so you can understand what he is saying before you refute his claim.

Basically, your arm/hand is doing exactly the same thing, except with added sideways motion, if you think about the muscles involved. Your hand still has to stop going from A-B, except instead of stopping it's still going but in a different direction. Doesn't mean you haven't had to put in the effort to stop it going in that direction. Only difference is, this way, you have to put in MORE effort to keep your hand moving.

More movement = more effort = less effiecient.

Of course, I could be wrong, but this is how I see things
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by Helpy Helperton
I knew this as circle picking more than oscillation picking, it's pretty hard to adapt to for me though, I'm actually trying to break free from my lazy econo picking style.

circle picking is different. it's a style in which you only use your index finger and thumb to move your pick. your wrist stands still.
amazing circle picker: yngwie malmsteen

oscillation picking uses the wrist, just like normal alternate picking.

and oh, there's nothing bad about economy picking. don't be mislead by the nay sayers all around the forum.

amazing economy picker: john petrucci
Yngwie doesn't circle pick, he uses economy picking... right? And Petrucci alternate picks btw.
TS:
Freepower has it, you just can't see it. Vectors ftw.
If anything, circle picking is the most efficient, it's just really hard to get right.
Circle picking and economy picking are un-related.
Better answer for amazing circle picker imo though would be takayoshi ohmura. You get more of a sense of JUST the fingers moving from him than Yngwie imo when you watch. YM seems to have some wrist movement at times too, but w/e.
Quote by RCalisto

and oh, there's nothing bad about economy picking. don't be mislead by the nay sayers all around the forum.

amazing economy picker: john petrucci

Yeah I know theres nothing wrong with it, I really like the sound of it, but trying to get a bit of variation going between economy, alternate and some legato thrown in. I thought I could alternate pick but I was lying to myself, I was doing 4 note per string chromatic excercises and thought wow this is easy then tried starting on an up pick and quickly found that I was actually just econo picking it (although it was up down up down up down up down, each string was starting on a down so I was never picking the outside of a string), for people who are strict econo pickers I would really recommend having some practice picking the outside of a string evey now and then, it feels more solid rhythmically, oh that was a bit off topic.

I'll have to have a look at oscillation picking then because i thought it was just a fancy word for circle picking, cheers
je hebt gelijk gast

Gr. Mario

Breda
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this.