can do most other lead tricks but the I have the most trouble with is tapping =/ what are the basics/strategies for tapping?
pushing fingers of the picking hand onto the strings basically, you can push down to come off also.. basically lol.
you can pick out notes of a chord, put them on a single string, and tap them out....
Play some songs that have simple basic tapping licks to get the idea then expirament or try more songs to get more ideas. After enough time you can incorporate them into your playing. Ozzy songs have some relativly easy tapping in the solos to try. Try different things on your own too mess around and see what you can make up.
Quote by therapture
can do most other lead tricks but the I have the most trouble with is tapping =/ what are the basics/strategies for tapping?

Just to get you started you can try these 3 basic variations.

Ascending

-(t)10-p-5-h-8
Repeat as desired.

Descending

-(t)10-p-8-p-5

Ascending and descending. (Descebding first)

-(t)10-p-8-p-5-h-8

Try taking these simple ideas and move them around the neck and on different strings. This one uses A Minor Pentatonic.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 24, 2008,
I reccomend holding the pick with thumb & index and tap with middle finger.

What I did so it didn't hurt when i tapped was constantly tapping one note for an hour while watching tv
^^As a side note, there are a hell of a lot more than 3 variations for tapping, even for 3nps arps. I recommend just taking some basic tapping songs, learning them, figuring out what they are doing, and trying to do it yourself. Then gradually get into more complex stuff.
The other thing I'd add is to learn the hammer from nowhere technique with your left hand. This will totally open up a world of tapping possibilities as it allows you to do an ascending tapped run that crosses strings.
Quote by se012101
The other thing I'd add is to learn the hammer from nowhere technique with your left hand. This will totally open up a world of tapping possibilities as it allows you to do an ascending tapped run that crosses strings.

Possibly elaborate for tapping noobs?
Quote by wepmajoe
Possibly elaborate for tapping noobs?

Lets say you want to play this.

bottom 2 string.

H T   H  T
--------5-7-12-
-5-8-12-------

So you start by picking the 5th fret, 6th string, hammer the 8th fret, and tap the 12th.
As you cross to the 5th string, we have a problem. Since we are in tapping mode now, and don't have easy access to our pick, it wouldn't be efficient to pick the note at the 5th fret, then switch back into tapping mode. So you essentially tap or hammer the note with your left hand index finger. That's known as a "hammer on from nowhere".

It's quite tricky to get into the habit of lifting your LH index finger to hammer the note at first, but it will come with time. It's important to hit it with the tip not underside of your index finger to get it to sound correctly.
Quote by TheShred201
^^As a side note, there are a hell of a lot more than 3 variations for tapping,

Oh yeah I know that, didn't want to scare him with loads of stuff. I edited my post slightly. It's cool.
Quote by therapture

I actually just put up a very basic intro to tapping over in the UG.TV Lessons area. It's totally geared towards beginners or at least players that are new to the whole tapping style in general. I'm not the biggest tapping whiz around by any means, but if you're looking for some of the basics you can check it out....Hopefully it might be a bit helpful. It's about 15min long or so & covers a lot of the basic patterns/ideas/mechanics that most players start out with.

UG TV Tapping Lesson

Quick note.....Yes it is a bit of a promo for Guitar Tricks.com...but aside from an intro graphic & a quick mention at the beginning & end...I don't spend any real time trying to plug the site or anything. I tried to keep it as non-annoying as I could in that sense.

Don