hey dudes, just been talking with friends about career choices and the like.

most of my life ive wanted to fly jets with the raf or maybe go to the usaf if i could.
problem is i wear glasses and as everyone knows you need 20:20 vision or better to be a pilot, so im considering gettin laser eye surgery when i turn 21,
but i dont know if you can get those kind of results from laser surgery, and if i would be allowed to fly, because i needed corrective surgery to get that standard of vision, so....

is there anyone here who's had it done? did you get 20:20 vision or was it a waste of time?

also, any pilots here? would you be able to find out if i'd be allowed fly after having surgery, or should i forget it?

thanks guys.
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

I've been thinking about laser eye surgery lately...I've wore contacts since I was 12.
RULE BRITANNIA
you can't wear contacts as a pilot? anyways, i'm quite sure that laser eye surgery completely corrects your vision, so i'd imagine you'd have 20/20 after the procedure
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Same for me. In an army air corps info leaflet it said they don't support laser surgery. I think it said if you wear glasses you can still fly, if you like helicopters why not try there?
Quote by a_man
Same for me. In an army air corps info leaflet it said they don't support laser surgery. I think it said if you wear glasses you can still fly, if you like helicopters why not try there?

wouldnt mind flying copters but id much rather jets.
how long ago did you read that?
EDIT: also, what country are you in?
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E

What you have to realise is that laser eye surgery isn't a permanent solution. Many people who have had it have to start wearing glasses a few years later to read etc.
When I applied for the air force they weren't accepting people who'd had laser treatment. That was the RAF though, and a few years ago now (2003 maybe) so it might be different for you.
Quote by smb
When I applied for the air force they weren't accepting people who'd had laser treatment. That was the RAF though, and a few years ago now (2003 maybe) so it might be different for you.

Same at the beginning of the year is I've been told.

EDIT: It would be best to go to a Army/RAF/Navy recruitment office and ask them.
Im sure you'd find more info on a laser eye surgery forum.

Is there one?
Yeah, contact them and ask if they support laser surgery. I doubt they would let you wear glasses or contacts for jets, but it can't hurt to ask about that either.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
I want to fly, but I wouldn't have 20:20 vision even with surgery. Optic nerve is damaged in my left eye so I'm screwed.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
My brother got laser eye surgery when he was 21. He says it was definitely worth it. He had terrible eyesight, but after the surgery he had perfect vision. Think I might get it in a few years too.

I don't understand why the RAF wouldn't let someone who had corrective eye surgery fly a plane: you'd have the same vision as the next guy. And surely they would do their own eye tests to check that?

AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR

Before you can fly a plane you need to know how to build one so i hope your smart
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by xander307
Before you can fly a plane you need to know how to build one so i hope your smart

lol wut?

source nao plz.
Quote by xander307

Last time I checked most pilots aren't also mechanical engineers.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
RAF are tightwads about it, and unless you're a girl, they're being remarkably strict about their entry requirements (they want to diversify their image). Instead, consider commercial aviation, Most airlines will only as that your sight be correctable to 20/20 using glasses, they do NOT support Laser Eye surgery since not many long term studies have been done, and symptoms sometimes appear after the surgery has taken place.

You are confused I think. That's MY job.
Katherine's all sad now
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by Morgy

I don't understand why the RAF wouldn't let someone who had corrective eye surgery fly a plane: you'd have the same vision as the next guy. And surely they would do their own eye tests to check that?

because with LASIK surgery they make a tiny incision in your cornea, and they suspect that when put under the stress pilots are put under during combat (high g's, high altitude etc.) the flap/incision could tear again and pull away your cornea, leaving you blind, and therefore dead if your flying a plane.

however after some extensive googling ive found that the usaf and nasa are accepting pilots who've had LASIK, and you can join any of the armed forces( in the US) if your eyesight is not worse than something like 20/70 and they have no problem with you flying if you have the surgery through them, after youve enlisted.

however, i dont know about the RAF or anyone else, but i do know canada dont accpet it all. (as if anyone would want to join the canadian military anyway )

also theres been some sort of surgery developed called NoTouch, where they dont make any cuts at all, its all done with lasers, so we'll see how that turns out
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E