I'm thinking about getting a floyd rose original put on my fender stratocaster, can some1 tell me what you have to do to put on it on? What does it involve?
Send pictures those of you who have had this done.
Thanks
Widen the cavity for the arm input for the trem. Route the top nut and pop a new locking nut in. Attach a string retainer bar to the headstock. Drill two holes for the brushings. It's a lot of work.
Yeah, you'll need a locking nut and to route out the top to get it recessed enough.

You can get behind the nut locking mechanisms, but I haven't had any experience with them.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
You need a router, templates, a lot of experience, and the knowledge that you are likely going to **** up a strat...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
is there a step by step tutorial anywhere?
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
http://www.georgemangos.com/floyd/index.htm << step by step tutorial, except its not a recessed floyd...

Thats the one you want if you want it to float^^^

Heres your routing messurements (everythings in mm)

I would suggest not using these as routing templates but as a guide to making them.
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Sep 22, 2008,
awesome, I appreciate that soooo much!!
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
That guy's website is really funny. Nice link!
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
i dont want to cut the big hole in it so its flat like on ibanezs, just for it to sit on top, like adrain smiths from iron maiden
ull save LOADS of money if you

A. put a mounted floyd rose on (problem is u cant move the bar up and down) or

B. buy a kahler trem system, u dont have to route out the body
Not true with Kahler and no routing, you just don't have a backroute.
Now if you have it non-recessed (only a small amount/no pull up depending how you set it up) you should just drill the holes for the new studs and you may have to enlarge the routing, perfect example:

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar068.html
Quote by Luke.Zeppelin
i dont want to cut the big hole in it so its flat like on ibanezs, just for it to sit on top, like adrain smiths from iron maiden

Amazing no one asked him the most important question like ohh I don't know....How do you want it set up? Floating or flush mounted? ^ Theres your answer.

Anyways, flush mounted is easier and better in my opinion but anyways, you'd just have to drill 2 holes for the pivot posts and of course route the nut for your neck and decide if you want a neck through nut or not. Neck through nut is where you have the 2 screws go through the neck to hold the nut in place from the back, more old school and some believe is weakens the neck although I haven't seen any necks break because of that. It shouldn't cost you too much to get it professionally done as you're not routing out a huge chunk of the body to have it floating. Might be a better option to get someone to do it also if you're not comfortable to do it yourself as to get the scale exact and not have intonation problems down the road and to route the nut the proper depth.

Edit:
Keep in mind the Floyd will change the tone of your guitar no matter how you have it set up.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Feb 11, 2009,
I just read that link that was posted on flush mounting, that seems a reasonable tutorial to it, it isn't incredibly detailed, but it gives a nice simple how-to.

Though there may be some slight problems with doing the nut.
When I was on my way to doing a similar thing with one of my strat projects (lack of money meant lack of work ), I measured the nut on my Ibanez, measured the excess room around the nut on my strat neck, the nut's a couple of MM long, not sure if it'll be the same for you, but just a heads up