Page 1 of 2
am i the only person who thinks he is possibly the MOST underrated guitar player ever? i have a pretty broad range in music tastes, but i honestly cant think of any other guitarist whos playing i love EVERYTHING about, except for frusciante, but thats a different story. DISCUSS!
There are better guitarists out there but he is underrated.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
i know theres better, but my point is i never hear any one talk about sublime's great guitar playing, when i think thats the best part of their music, and its also really good.
Well....tell us who he is!

I might like him
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Quote by whatamidoinhere
Well....tell us who he is!

I might like him

the guitarist for sublime. heard of em?
Quote by Strato-Massacre
the guitarist for sublime. heard of em?

Yeah, but never listened to them.

And don't you roll your eyes at me, young man!!
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
85% of all guitarists are underrated.. duh.

W
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
i know theres better, but my point is i never hear any one talk about sublime's great guitar playing, when i think thats the best part of their music, and its also really good.

Yeah technically he should be just as popular and annoying as Kurt Cobain because he's dead but I guess we're lucky we don't have to hear about him every two seconds.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Oh please, there are thousands of guitarists who are more deserving of praise than that mediocrity.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
What? He wasn't that good, he has some some nice short solos but that's it, and also Frusciante may have what you call "feel" and creativity, but he's pretty overrated.

An underrated guitarist: Nuno Bettencourt.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
What? He wasn't that good, he has some some nice short solos but that's it, and also Frusciante may have what you call "feel" and creativity, but he's pretty overrated.

An underrated guitarist: Nuno Bettencourt.

Solos solos solos, that's all you guys ever care about, forgetting the fact that solos make up about 5% of a song.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

Solos solos solos, that's all you guys ever care about, forgetting the fact that solos make up about 5% of a song.

Ok, forget solos, Brad's playing was mainly powerchords and uninteresting, Nuno's rhythm + Lead is genius, the way he combines funk with metal with classical music is awesome.
This thread is full of arrogance and ignorance.

Quote by Portuguese_boy
Ok, forget solos, Brad's playing was mainly powerchords and uninteresting, Nuno's rhythm + Lead is genius, the way he combines funk with metal with classical music is awesome.

This is just wrong.

Bradley is incredibly underrated. He was an amazing musician, composer, and guitarist.

EDIT:

Don't worry TS. I know exactly what you mean.
Last edited by Seryaph at Sep 22, 2008,
I think Brad Nowell is way too over-idolized. I mean the guy did hard drugs, participated in some anarchy, wrote some songs, then overdosed.

woohoo
Quote by Flann
I think Brad Nowell is way too over-idolized. I mean the guy did hard drugs, participated in some anarchy, wrote some songs, then overdosed.

woohoo

The man was greatly underrated. What "anarchy" did he participate in? I've been a fan of his for years and read just about everything about him, but never did I read anything about anarchy. Anyone who doesn't think he was an incredibly talented guitarist and all around musician I recommend you listen to "Stand By Your Van". And furthermore Susan, to criticize him because he was addicted to drugs is just ridicules, alot of great musicians had drug problems, he tried to quit but it had to much of a hold on him. God bless.
He's very underrated but this is the wrong place to discuss this.
I think he was an awesome guitarist, fair enough wasn't the most technical or tight, but his playing was perfect for Sublime's sound, which is all it needed to be.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
i herd he liek died of drugz or sumthin
I agree that he is somewhat underrated. I don't believe extremely complicated riffs, solos, and chord progressions are always what makes a great guitarist. In his case I look at more of the fact that he Created some great sounding melodies. The fact that a lot of guitarists can easily learn a lot of the guitar parts doesn't mean that Brad wasn't that skilled. It is the fact that he is the one who wrote them that makes him great. A lot of really great songs are based off of simple guitar parts. Sure some of the songs are easy to learn and play, but I think being able to learn a song and actually being the one to come up with the song are completely different stories.
Last edited by TheWaydown at Feb 12, 2009,
I had when someone brings up the arguement that no-one should care about someone just because they did drugs. close-minded ****s.

with that said, i love Brad and his playing
He was a far better guitarist, technically, than people think. Everyone can agree he was one of the best songwriters of the 90's, and imo in history. But his guitar playing is actually quite good, he was born with perfect pitch too. Also, I've seen some live videos of Scarlet Begonias live where he would go into a Jerryesque solo and then brings it back to Sublime style.

And all of his solos (while not flashy, but that's becasue he played ska/punk/reggae/hip-hop/awesomeness) are very melodic and fit the song perfectly. That is what's great about him, he cared about the overall sound of the music foremost, not about being a wanker and showing all of his leet chops...

I am not saying he is the best guitarist ever, or anything like that, but he most definitly deserves more respect amongst the guitarist community.
I think he was a great songwriter first and foremost.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Ok, forget solos, Brad's playing was mainly powerchords and uninteresting,

Powerchords?

Shows how much you know about Sublime.

Yeah, he may be a little underrated, but so are tons of other guitarists. He wrote some amazing melodies though, that's for sure.
Last edited by archangels666 at Mar 16, 2009,
Look i love SUBLIME but he wasnt the best guitarist, he was good but not that impressive, but he did have an amazing voice and put so much emotion into his lyrics that makes up for his guitar skills
Quote by Ramblin'_Man
He was a far better guitarist, technically, than people think. Everyone can agree he was one of the best songwriters of the 90's, and imo in history. But his guitar playing is actually quite good, he was born with perfect pitch too. Also, I've seen some live videos of Scarlet Begonias live where he would go into a Jerryesque solo and then brings it back to Sublime style.

And all of his solos (while not flashy, but that's becasue he played ska/punk/reggae/hip-hop/awesomeness) are very melodic and fit the song perfectly. That is what's great about him, he cared about the overall sound of the music foremost, not about being a wanker and showing all of his leet chops...

I am not saying he is the best guitarist ever, or anything like that, but he most definitly deserves more respect amongst the guitarist community.

Im glad someone agrees with me on this. Im tired of peope who think anything that the guitarist doesnt wank all over isnt music.

Quote by archangels666
Powerchords?

Shows how much you know about Sublime.

Yeah, he may be a little underrated, but so are tons of other guitarists. He wrote some amazing melodies though, that's for sure.

My thoughts exactly.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
i dont care if he didn't wank his guitar endlessly

it was the feeling and soul behind his guitar riffs, that really made sublime what it was
I'd just like to say I fall into the 5% of us on this site who aren't metalheads.

I am UG's resident Communist.
Brad was a genius, all of 40 oz. to freedom was him, he had to use a drum machine, and wrote all of the bass parts.
Ugh yeah caress me down

You didn't make an account just for this old ass thread did you PrettyCoolGuy?
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
PrettyCoolGuy

I guess you could say you've been doing it the... wrong way?

Quote by metal4eva_22
I cannot create new threads, otherwise I would have created this thread under the appropriate forum. So forgive this necro bump, I just have one question if somebody could help, I looked all over the web and I cannot find an answer. Can somebody tell me what tuning Brad Nowell played in? I tune to Eb and I'm curious if he played in standard tuning so maybe I purchase another guitar for alternate tunings if necessary. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
poop
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
NewDayHappy 

I thought mostly everything was in E standard. 

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by NewDayHappy
I cannot create new threads, otherwise I would have created this thread under the appropriate forum. So forgive this necro bump, I just have one question if somebody could help, I looked all over the web and I cannot find an answer. Can somebody tell me what tuning Brad Nowell played in? I tune to Eb and I'm curious if he played in standard tuning so maybe I purchase another guitar for alternate tunings if necessary. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Or... they have this thing called a capo.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Hello
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Page 1 of 2
Recommended threads
Rap
NewDayHappy
Last post:
by soundgarden1986