Page 1 of 2
I know a lot of these threads get started however I am looking for some personalized advice. I live in a small town (where I go to college) and I recently started playing guitar (last January). I made a commitment to try and practice an hour daily at minimum. I have talked to some people in town and have had two different instructors for lessons during this time. Both teachers have left me feeling a bit jipped in that I didn't get much out of lessons. I really have desired to find a teacher who will push me and isn't afraid to tell me when I'm doing something wrong. My first teacher taught me a lot of scales and I got to the point where I could play a lot of them very fast but that is it. In terms of improvisation everything sounded blah because I was stuck in the same boxes on the neck. My second teacher I enjoyed a bit more because he had a very free style however as lessons continued I would walk away feeling confused and not having made much progress because he seemed to have no lesson plan prepared every time I came in.

My goal is to be able to play well and jam with other musicians. I desire to be able to play blues, jazz, and rock but it seems like nothing I do and no matter how much I practice lends itself to much improvement.

What advice can you give me? I am getting a little depressed that I am not making much progress. I realize that picking up guitar at the age of 22 means I probably will never become anything special however I would love to be able to play to the enjoyment of myself and others and be able to jam with other musicians. Are there any books people would recomend? Are online lessons a good resource or a waste of money? Should I resort to teaching myself through a book. I am truly lost. As of now I am working through a book published by Alfred entitled "The Total Blues Guitarist" in hopes that it will leave me feeling confident in some blues theory and give me some places to start. I also have the Hal Leonard guitar method 3-volume book I hope will teach me to read music. A friend of mine suggested a book called "Fretboard Logic" as well for more theory stuff that I am also looking through.

Being a senior in college and having a job and social life I can realistically only practice 1-2 hours most days. Is it unrealistic for me to think that is enough to make some improvement and become a moderate player? Any help, words of encouragement, etc are welcome. Thanks!
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Alvarez FD-60 acoustic electric- $295 obo (perfect condition, amber finish)
Lindy Fralin Blues Special Strat pickups (as set, perfect condition) - $175 obo

PM me if you are interested!
Most people woodshed for between 3 and 5 hours a day, man. At an hour a day, don't expect miraculous improvements.

If your goal is to jam well with others, then the way to become better at that is to do it. We all suck in the beginning, just accept it then progress.

Besides - getting depressed isn't gonna make you a better player. Playing is.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I probably should have used a different term than "depressed". I should have just said that it makes me wonder if I will ever make any real progress. Maybe I just need to make some sacrifices and spend more time on my guitar. Sometimes I just wonder if my biggest mistake is not how long I practice but what I practice or how I practice. Thanks for the advice though.
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Play technical music. If forces you to be better.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Just find other musicians and jam with them! You'll learn from them and eventually you'll get a much better understanding of music. Trust me, you might not feel you are ready but not only is it beneficial but also a heck load of fun.

Don't feel intimidated or scared if they are better than you; a good player would learn from their techniques and skills.
Sorry but what do you mean by "technical music"? Examples would be best.

This is a bit unrelated but how do most of you guys find it best to train your ear? I have a pretty good ear as I can quickly copy single note lines but when it comes to chords I never know where to start to identify a chord if someone is strumming or something.
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Dude, don't listent to any posters on this or any other site that tell you not to expect much from yourself only practicing an hour or two a day.....total bull...sh..t.

Search these forums for practice methods posts. There have been excellent articles written about how to practice, what to practice and dealing with plateaus in your progress.

I didn't pickup the guitar until I was 34, I'm a busy father, working professional and also practice when I can and never for more than 1-2 hours at a time.

I was a total newb and can now solo, have built a pretty decent number of songs I can play and jam with my neighboor who is in a band and can hold my own.

My approach has always been to warm up with finger exercises (there are millions of them), then practice a bit of older (earlier) material that I was either given by a teacher or I pulled of guitar instruction websites posted in their beginner/intermediate sections. Then I practice something that is advanced for me (theory wise) whether its new scales, modes, keys whatever...but something that makes sense with where you're trying to take your playing and lastly I finish up by either learning a song I want to know or practing over a backing track trying to incorporate that stuff I'm learning.

If I spend 15min warm up, 15 min on the old material (refresher material), 30-40min on the advanced (new lesson stuff) and 15-30min on fun stuff, then I've practiced for about 1.5hrs.

Some suggestions on what to practice:

If you want jazz, blues proficiency you will need to become very proficient with keys/chords in jazz, as the jazz chords can be complex. Blues, is all about scales and licks, minor pentatonic primarily.

You said that your stuff is sounding "samey", I suggest you get tabs or mp3's or whatever on your favorite artists, look at the licks they use, patterns they like, work them out and change them up a bit to make them your own.

Record yourself playing whenever possible. Keep your recordings dated. I a month from now go back and listen to your recordings....I'll bet you notice that you sound less polished, have fewer cool licks etc than after a month of consistent practice.

Websites: Check out jamplay.com, this site, guitartricks.com and others...most of them offer a lot of free content.

Good luck
First of all...

1HR a day is not going to cut it if you want to be great.

also...starting at 22 doesnt mean shit, you can shred the hell out of your axe in merely a few years of playing, if you put forth enough dedication.

hell..i could sweep fluently after only 6months or so of practice. I dont say this to brag or feed my ego, I say it to let you know that it IS possible to accomplish extraordinary things when you put your mind to it.

If you want to get good fast, you need to practice more. Dont make it a race, but put a little more time in and im sure youll see major progress.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
It doesn't matter how long you practice for, 1 hour a day is fine - 98% of people have a life outside of the guitar after all.

Just be patient, as far as being able to just drop into a jam session that takes a long time, first you need to learn how to play the thing, then you need to get comfortable with it, then you need to learn a load of songs, then you need to start learning how it all works musically so you can apply all the stuff you learn in any situation. I got pretty good at playing the guitar after a year or so and I practiced seldom and badly. However, in terms of having an understanding of what I was doing...graduating from just being able to play songs on the guitar to simply being able to "play the guitar", was probably about 5 years.

As far as sounding samey goes, that's because you're not thinking or listening enough. Too many guitarists fall into the trap of focussing too much on the physical aspects of playing the guitar, muscle memory is a great thing but you have to make it work for you otherwise you just end up blindly following scale patterns. Remember the most important thing is the sound you make so try to worry less abou the actions you're performing and concentrate more on the end product, think about the sound you want to achieve.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 22, 2008,
You know what? Find something REALLY challenging for you. Don't give up on it, and just work on it. By the time you've mastered it, you'll notice your imporvements.
Quote by Dazzl1113
Dude, don't listent to any posters on this or any other site that tell you not to expect much from yourself only practicing an hour or two a day.....total bull...sh..t.

Yeah - why work hard to get better at what you love when you could just slog your way through it half assed and hope you get lucky, all the while making excuses as to why you don't work harder instead of just WORKING HARDER?

No matter what you do - regardless of what or when it is - the only way to become proficient or successful at it is to WORK HARD. Period. And the bottom line is, if you LOVE it enough, you'll make time instead of making excuses.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Yeah - why work hard to get better at what you love when you could just slog your way through it half assed and hope you get lucky, all the while making excuses as to why you don't work harder instead of just WORKING HARDER?

No matter what you do - regardless of what or when it is - the only way to become proficient or successful at it is to WORK HARD. Period. And the bottom line is, if you LOVE it enough, you'll make time instead of making excuses.

just because you practice more than someone else doesn't mean they "love" the instrument any less - stop spouting egotistical elitist bullshit.

It's a musical instrument, it's not a job.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
It doesn't matter how long you practice for, 1 hour a day is fine - 98% of people have a life outside of the guitar after all.

Just be patient, as far as being able to just drop into a jam session that takes a long time, first you need to learn how to play the thing, then you need to get comfortable with it, then you need to learn a load of songs, then you need to start learning how it all works musically so you can apply all the stuff you learn in any situation. I got pretty good at playing the guitar after a year or so and I practiced seldom and badly. However, in terms of having an understanding of what I was doing...graduating from just being able to play songs on the guitar to simply being able to "play the guitar", was probably about 5 years.

As far as sounding samey goes, that's because you're not thinking or listening enough. Too many guitarists fall into the trap of focussing too much on the physical aspects of playing the guitar, muscle memory is a great thing but you have to make it work for you otherwise you just end up blindly following scale patterns. Remember the most important thing is the sound you make so try to worry less abou the actions you're performing and concentrate more on the end product, think about the sound you want to achieve.

dude...playing 1 hr a day wont cut it for someone who is asking themselves why they arent improving.

have lives outside of guitar? like spending more than 1 hr constitutes not having a life other than guitar...LOL yeah ****ing right.

most idiots spend more time infront of the tv than anything else, cut down your wasted hrs watching football or w/e the hell u do and play guitar for 2-3 hrs.

with 2-3 hrs of practice a day u will see substantial improvement and fast. keep in mind u need to be practicing songs and techniques that exceed ur current skill in order to improve.

sure...i played guitar for 5+hrs a day sometimes when i was trying obsessively to get good, but 2-3 would have been just fine as well.
Thanks for all the advice. I will try looking here and on other sites for some good advice as to how to practice. I think more than not practicing enough time wise I don't practice efficiently or practice the wrong stuff. That is my bigger worry. As far as free time, I do have some but I have to divide it carefully being that I am student taking some grad classes that take up a lot of time, have to walk/exercise the dog, have to keep my own running up, and work enough to save money for grad school and to support my hobbies while at least having time to hang with my gf and friends. This is not to say that I don't have free time. At this point most of my free time is spent playing guitar or bass, reading, or browsing the net. TV and all those other things that entertain a lot of people don't interest me.
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Quote by nvranka
dude...playing 1 hr a day wont cut it for someone who is asking themselves why they arent improving.

have lives outside of guitar? like spending more than 1 hr constitutes not having a life other than guitar...LOL yeah ****ing right.

most idiots spend more time infront of the tv than anything else, cut down your wasted hrs watching football or w/e the hell u do and play guitar for 2-3 hrs.

with 2-3 hrs of practice a day u will see substantial improvement and fast. keep in mind u need to be practicing songs and techniques that exceed ur current skill in order to improve.

sure...i played guitar for 5+hrs a day sometimes when i was trying obsessively to get good, but 2-3 would have been just fine as well.

I don't know about you but I have a job, I have to feed myself, run my modest household of one and generally get on with my life...and you know what, sometimes I want to do nothing simply because I'm fed up with all the "somethings" I have to do. I love guitar, but I'd struggle to devote an hour a day to it and sometimes I'll go days without playing, there's even been times I've gone months without playing.

There seems to be some romantic idea that people have to woodshed away for hours on end to have any hope of learning to play and it's utter bollocks. Most people aren't even that bothered about ever getting *that* good, they just want to be able to play the thing. If you're a kid with nothing else to do, or a student who isn't bothered about their degree, or unemployed then fair enough, however for the majority of the adult guitar-playing population we play when we can and enjoy and love it just as much as anyone else.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I don't know about you but I have a job, I have to feed myself, run my modest household of one and generally get on with my life...and you know what, sometimes I want to do nothing simply because I'm fed up with all the "somethings" I have to do. I love guitar, but I'd struggle to devote an hour a day to it and sometimes I'll go days without playing, there's even been times I've gone months without playing.

There seems to be some romantic idea that people have to woodshed away for hours on end to have any hope of learning to play and it's utter bollocks. Most people aren't even that bothered about ever getting *that* good, they just want to be able to play the thing. If you're a kid with nothing else to do, or a student who isn't bothered about their degree, or unemployed then fair enough, however for the majority of the adult guitar-playing population we play when we can and enjoy and love it just as much as anyone else.

Well im giving him advice to get good, not just be able to play stupid shit.

if u want to play for 4+yrs before u are good at all, then be my guest play 1 hr a day.

i am a univ student and i have high marks, i work part-time, and party etc surf and play hockey for my school.

SOMEHOW i find the 3+hrs to play...because the days are ****ing long man. Maybe you just dont get up early enough...
Well I didn't mean to turn this into an argument of how many hours a day one must play. I think both of you bring up perfectly valid points that I need to take into consideration. I need to probably devote more time to practicing or face the fact that it will take longer to get better. Conversely I also probably should look into getting more structure in my program of practice.
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Chris Robinson and Luther Dickinson both said it themselves in their last GP interview. Neither of them practiced hours and hours a day, and both said they got better once they focused on the SONG and not their playing. Sure, one could shred all they want, but ya gotta learn how to play with SOUL. That's whats the most important. Neither Luther or Chris are the most technical guitarists in the world, but they both make kickass music, and can both jam the shit out of their songs live!

With my school/work this year, it's harder to find time to practice, and more often than not, I'm strumming on the acoustic and singing. I might be a worse guitar player, but I'm a much better MUSICIAN.
Quote by nvranka

if u want to play for 4+yrs before u are good at all, then be my guest play 1 hr a day.

i am a univ student and i have high marks, i work part-time, and party etc surf and play hockey for my school.

SOMEHOW i find the 3+hrs to play...because the days are ****ing long man. Maybe you just dont get up early enough...

dude your coming offas a serious a$$h0l3 here, everyone here is just trying to help

the quantity of hours only matter if you practice the right way

in other words do you use a metronome?

are you learning your techniques the way they are meant to be done?
Quote by nvranka

Who the **** are you to call the product of other people's hard work, dedication and effort "stupid shit"?

You're a wanker, that's what.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by strat0blaster
Most people woodshed for between 3 and 5 hours a day, man. At an hour a day, don't expect miraculous improvements.

If your goal is to jam well with others, then the way to become better at that is to do it. We all suck in the beginning, just accept it then progress.

Besides - getting depressed isn't gonna make you a better player. Playing is.

rofl
yeh cutting your wrists is the way to go
[img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9595/userbar671014hu6.gif[/img]
Quote by nido
dude your coming offas a serious a$$h0l3 here, everyone here is just trying to help

the quantity of hours only matter if you practice the right way

in other words do you use a metronome?

are you learning your techniques the way they are meant to be done?

metronome usage is a given, anyone who doesnt use one needs to.

guitar involves pretty much infinite facets...by allotting more hours to your playing day you can address many of them more often and improve your musicianship as a whole, rather than feeling as though youve played for years, but never really got anything accomplished.

seagull or w/e ur name is...please just shut it.
seagull or w/e ur name is...please just shut it.

Maybe you should shut it -- Mark was giving some good advice!

TS, 22 isn't old to start. Don't worry about that, you've got a lifetime ahead of you. And the sooner you play with buddies, the better. If you feel intimidated, you could start by playing with people at a similar level of ability. You'll still benefit from it and feed off of each other's technique.

Of course the quantity of time matters some, but the quality of your practice, in my view, makes a bigger difference in how quickly you can improve. I can wank away for hours and have fun without really getting better: it takes disciplined, gradual practice to improve quickly.
Quote by steven seagull
Who the **** are you to call the product of other people's hard work, dedication and effort "stupid shit"?

You're a wanker, that's what.

Who's he to call other people's WHAT stupid shit?

Hard work? I though I said that HARD WORK was necessary to become good, and you were the one that called me an elitist for it.

And for the record - just because you're okay with ****ing around on a guitar for a couple of hours a week and then going to work doesn't mean everyone else is. For some of us, music IS our job - you know, like paying gigs and touring.

Think before you speak, and leave out the pseudo martyr-esque comments like calling someone an elitist because they do what you choose not to.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Who's he to call other people's WHAT stupid shit?

Hard work? I though I said that HARD WORK was necessary to become good, and you were the one that called me an elitist for it.

And for the record - just because you're okay with ****ing around on a guitar for a couple of hours a week and then going to work doesn't mean everyone else is. For some of us, music IS our job - you know, like paying gigs and touring.

Think before you speak, and leave out the pseudo martyr-esque comments like calling someone an elitist because they do what you choose not to.

Exactly, for SOME - not for everyone so take your head out of your arse and look at the big picture. I'm not arguing about the need to graft, it's your and nvranka's definiton of the term. "Hard work" is all relative, an hour a day is a big commitment for a lot of people - you're the guys playing the martyr with your "Oh look at me and how much I have sacrificed for my art" attitude.

If you've got more time on your hands or have become successful then more power to you, but that doesn't give you the right to belittle the achievements of those who haven't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 24, 2008,
I don't know about you guys, but 1-2 hours a day is enough to get better, for me. If that. Then i have 3-5 hour jam sessions with my band, once or twice a week.
As with everything in the real world, it's about quality not quantity.

And a lot of time doesn't always equate to hard work and improvement.
I know guitarists who practice for hours and hours, been playing for longer than I. They're pretty awful.

I don't see the problem in light practice hours. I love the guitar, but I never want it to become a chore for me, something where I plug in, practice for 6 hours every day, and make sure I do everything on the checklist (Not that you guys do...Just making an example). I don't want to make it a process where day in and day out, I make sure to clock in and get my hours in. I already do that at work, and the shifts begin to dredge on and become monotonous.

I want to keep liking playing the guitar - So I'll practice when I feel like practicing or when I can make the time.

Yes, 24 hours is a long time, there's plenty of time in the day. But not as much you'd think, for each of us. I only sleep 3-6 hours a day, wake up in 3 hour intervals, work part time, pick up/cook/take care of my younger siblings, and take classes at my local community college two days a week. And I can never find enough time in the day to everything I want.

Lay off here guys. Just because I don't clock in as many hours as you doesn't mean I don't love playing guitar, and it certainly doesn't mean I won't improve.
the best thing to do is find a style you love, and play it till your fingers can't take it. I found blues, and I can sit there with a twelve bar progression and play for hours. it's also good to just sing about random crap in the same key. Some good times there.

Just experiment with that, and with a little bit of musical theory knowledge, you can come up with some great licks and personal touches to your style rather than pure emulation. If you aren't having fun, try something different! You want to love playing.

Some people love shred. So if you find a style you love, sit there with a backing track and just jam.

Although, for finger speed and strength, I found learning curse of castle dragon and scarified really pushed my technique forwards, particularly developing a good floating picking technique. I like picking not legato for shred, it sounds more percussive.
It isn't the time that you 'dedicate', it's the effort. I don't really have much to do, so I end up playing really most of the day, but I just play random crap and random songs, but at the end of the day I stink cuz I dont have the motivation to do any proper practice, working on technique and so on. This is gonna change for me in the near future when I'm not mentally and emotionaly drained by random life crap lol, but saying 'you need to practice 5+ hours a day' is utter bullshit, because +/- 1 hour of dedicated practice is better than more than 2...especially if you take into account the average attention span, more than 5hours just seems overkill in some aspects. eh, I'm rambling aren't I.
tl;dr: Ignore this post
Hey stratoblaster, nvranka.

I never play for more than 2 hours, and I probably only do 4 hours a week.

And I bet I'm better than both of you

TS, Listen to Mark, he knows what he's talking about. You're probably doing fine.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
A person shouldn't be judged on the amount of practicing they are doing.

And Practicing should be judged on efficency, not time.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
I dont have a sheduled pratice kind of thing. i just pick up my guitar and play random shit that i know. it helps. every now and again i get a tab or two off the internet and learn that. surprisingly i'm half decent at guitar.
theres more then technique and scales to learn. can you read music, do you know a sufficient number of chord voicings? If you spend 15 minutes a day on technique 15 on scales and a half hour on learning songs, but mixing up things about them like improving through one verse/chorus, changing chord voicings, inflection, dynamics etc, you will improve (as a musician) very quickly.
Quote by ccrnnr9
Well I didn't mean to turn this into an argument of how many hours a day one must play. I think both of you bring up perfectly valid points that I need to take into consideration. I need to probably devote more time to practicing or face the fact that it will take longer to get better. Conversely I also probably should look into getting more structure in my program of practice.
~Nick

i think you've got the idea.

don't waste time during practice.

spend the amount of time that feels right for you, and practice better.

some guys might practice speed for 5 hours and not improve on accuracy at all.
they can wank on guitar all day but honestly, i'd rather listen to someone who feels the music. play what you love, and get some band mates. good luck nick.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
How you practice is more important than how long you practice. If it's something you love and have a lot of time for in your day to day life, you will get better sooner. Scales, riffs, songs - it all has a place in practice sessions. Nobody gets "great" overnight or even in a year. Devote the amount of time you can afford, and plan out your practice time to each aspect of playing, strumming, scales, songs etc. (Unlike that teacher of yours).
I play less than an hour a day average (figuring some days not at all) and went years without playing at one point and I still enjoy practicing when I can afford time.
Quote by strat0blaster

some people are more naturally skilled at things than others. if i practiced tennis as much as roger federer does, would i be as good? highly unlikely. it's about 50% natural talent/nature, 50% hard word/nurture.

also, practicing too much, and/or when you're tired, can actually do more harm than good. little and often is better than a big 8 hour session which leaves you so tired you're unable (or disinclined) to play for a week.

i'm with steven seagull. even half an hour a day is plenty, if you know how to practice properly. it's like revising for exams... plenty of people claimed to revise for a whole day, but then when you interrogated them further it turned out they were looking out the window half the time, or watching tv at the same time. same with guitar, it's not how long you practice, it's how well you practice. (i see azrael and jenny beat me to it on this one)

i often don't even play every day. it's not a crime, look how many people don't even play a single instrument. music's not some macho pursuit where you want to show off how much you can bench-press. it's for fun.

there's also no rule that says you can't get good by practicing for one hour a day. maybe you just suck more (oh yes i went there).

back to the threadstarter, i wouldn't worry about starting at 22. i started at almost 19, and it doesn't seem to have done me any harm.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
seagull, Dave, jj , forsaknazrael have all given you good advice.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by timi_hendrix
Hey stratoblaster, nvranka.

I never play for more than 2 hours, and I probably only do 4 hours a week.

And I bet I'm better than both of you

TS, Listen to Mark, he knows what he's talking about. You're probably doing fine.

rofl yeah im sure that mars volta cover you have posted is going to blow us both out of the water. typical music choice for someone who has such a lack of dedication.

though id be willing to go vid for vid on something actually challenging,

lets see whose symphony X- sea of lies cover is better?

yeah, thought so.

Maybe you should shut it -- Mark was giving some good advice!

aw how cute you guys use first names, isnt that precious.

some people are more naturally skilled at things than others. if i practiced tennis as much as roger federer does, would i be as good? highly unlikely. it's about 50% natural talent/nature, 50% hard word/nurture.

thats horseshit. Possibly practicing the same amount, but different ways, but if you were mirror copies of each other from the time he started, i highly doubt you wouldnt be on the pro tour currently.

tho its merely hypothetical that youd practice the exact same way and the same amount of time, i hate people who play the "natural talent" card.

just a bunch of slack ass idiots trying to make up for their lack of efficient practice, and whom have watched countless videos of people who have played for half the time they have, and are 2x better.

if someone has played half the amount of time you have and is 2-3x better than you, it isnt due to natural talent, its due to how much they practice and how they do so.

dont fill yourself with stupidity please.
Last edited by nvranka at Sep 24, 2008,
If natural talent doesn't exist kindly explain how a fat lazy f*cker like Matt Le Tissier managed to have a successful career as a professional footballer.

I win...we're all safe from filling up with stupidity as long as we ignore you.

And on the subject of "winning" since when was music a competition?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I really appreciate all the advice from everyone here and I am taking both sides of the argument into account. Like most things I don't think there is one right answer to this question. I know I can work on making my practice more efficient and I know there are times where I waste time doing other things when I could be practicing.

On another note, there is no need to let this turn into a flame war. I would hate to see a thread that I for one am getting a lot out of get shut down because a few people can't quit the useless arguing. So while I appreciate everyone's input, please keep the flaming to PM's and out of the thread. Thanks!
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Page 1 of 2