Firstly, this is not homework, so don't give me the 'do your own homework' moan.

Secondly, I have done my own research, and I'm using an appeal to UG's other History Bluffs to do some research, so don't moan on that either

In my History course at college, one of the modules in my second year is entirely based on self research rather than class room teaching. We get do write our own essay question which we get to choose ourselves.

Basically, as I'm fresh to this subject, I chose the simple question 'Why did the British lose the American War of independence?'

I got some good ideas why, for example the unsuccessful assault onto Canada and Cornwallis and I'm looking for some other areas which I may of missed from general net research. From what I've seen, I've seen a lot of military side to things. As awesome as that is, I'd like to see some other factors which I could add in.

The other thing is asking for books on the subject, as Amazon hasn't done me that many favors. Any good websites I could research from would also be fantastic.

Also, please refrain from pointless patriotism. Don't let me unleash my rant against nationalism on your asses.

Shoot.
Why did the British lose the American War of Independence? The reasons behind the loss of the colonies are large in number and complicated in nature so that one can easily blame foreign intervention for Britain's defeat and forget to mention other factors such as Britain's failure to comprehend the changing political and economic context of the time or North's intolerable Acts which along with other Acts such as the Stamp Act alienated American support. Nor can one fail to mention Britain's military inadequacies during the war itself or the sheer difficulty involved in moving troops across the Atlantic. Foreign intervention was certainly was one of the main reasons behind Britain's defeat. During the war, the intervention of both France and Spain caused major strategic problems for Britain. On one side there was the French from whom Britain had to protect troop convoys . . . . . . . . .

it stopped being free there, but I can pick off more stuff.

EDIT: Be back later with moar history copapasta if I can.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
the distance troops had 2 travel aswell as time taken to supply and reinforce troops from england
Quote by Seth Shadows
Craigo! :] Welcome back.
Use Wikipedia.

...I didn't go anywhere.

And nah; on a subject like this, there would be too much biasy for my liking, not to mention I have to cite my references, making wikipedia not a wise move and that the history articles on wiki are very poorly written.
Also, a big factor was the fact that the British Military was under what our AP class decied as terrible leadership. The American military command was better in terms of defensive strategies and over all command of their troops.

And the Americans had better knowledge of the grounds they were fighting on. In my opinion, that was a huge factor in how the Americans were able to hold off the British while waiting for the French.

hope that helps.
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
Quote by bob farrell
Why did the British lose the American War of Independence? The reasons behind the loss of the colonies are large in number and complicated in nature so that one can easily blame foreign intervention for Britain's defeat and forget to mention other factors such as Britain's failure to comprehend the changing political and economic context of the time or North's intolerable Acts which along with other Acts such as the Stamp Act alienated American support. Nor can one fail to mention Britain's military inadequacies during the war itself or the sheer difficulty involved in moving troops across the Atlantic. Foreign intervention was certainly was one of the main reasons behind Britain's defeat. During the war, the intervention of both France and Spain caused major strategic problems for Britain. On one side there was the French from whom Britain had to protect troop convoys . . . . . . . . .

it stopped being free there, but I can pick off more stuff.

EDIT: Be back later with moar history copapasta if I can.

I know most of that, but the 'military inadequates' part annoyed me, especially when the British won the majority of the battles.
I think it's pretty obvious.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Quote by BaconFrenzy117
Also, a big factor was the fact that the British Military was under what our AP class decied as terrible leadership. The American military command was better in terms of defensive strategies and over all command of their troops.

And the Americans had better knowledge of the grounds they were fighting on. In my opinion, that was a huge factor in how the Americans were able to hold off the British while waiting for the French.

hope that helps.

Whilst the British were relatively clueless on how they were fighting, some Commanders, like Cornwallis, actually knew America to a decent extent which helped out.

Also, the British, in an overview, lost some key battles through misjudgement, however, on the overview, they tended to have better leadership and command. For example, George Washington lost the majority of battles he fought, and most of the battles he won had great help from outnumbering the British.
Quote by Craigo
I know most of that, but the 'military inadequates' part annoyed me, especially when the British won the majority of the battles.

It's just aswell, I couldn't rip anything else off of that site, bastards. I did a quick search for more, they all seem to be written by yanks or about individual battles . . . . . . .will search more at later time if I can. . . . .
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Quote by bob farrell
It's just aswell, I couldn't rip anything else off of that site, bastards. I did a quick search for more, they all seem to be written by yanks or about individual battles . . . . . . .will search more at later time if I can. . . . .

Cheers dude, but I can't find much good on the net myself...
Quote by Craigo
Whilst the British were relatively clueless on how they were fighting, some Commanders, like Cornwallis, actually knew America to a decent extent which helped out.

Also, the British, in an overview, lost some key battles through misjudgement, however, on the overview, they tended to have better leadership and command. For example, George Washington lost the majority of battles he fought, and most of the battles he won had great help from outnumbering the British.

But the morale of the troops remained high even throughout the testing periods of the Valley Forge. I think that the morale of your troops is the most important thing in delaing wiht having a successful military.

I.E. the Vietnam war with American troops with low morale leading to bad fighting.
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
well the minutemen and small militia usually didnt fight "gentalmenly". They fought like indians, i.e hiding behind trees, camo, ect.

that way they could take out a reasonably sized force with very few men.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by BaconFrenzy117
But the morale of the troops remained high even throughout the testing periods of the Valley Forge. I think that the morale of your troops is the most important thing in delaing wiht having a successful military.

I.E. the Vietnam war with American troops with low morale leading to bad fighting.

Forgetting the Vietnam thing, if you could produce more evidence or something for this, best case scenarios with recounts or statistics, this would be absolutely amazing, even though I am skeptical of the claim.
Quote by angus is god
well the minutemen and small militia usually didnt fight "gentalmenly". They fought like indians, i.e hiding behind trees, camo, ect.

that way they could take out a reasonably sized force with very few men.

Good stuff, cheers

Anything new I could relate to is what I'm looking for
Haven't seen this mentioned so far, but it seems that in certain cases, The British weren't ready for a guerilla war, especially in the giants forests in the East of America; they were more used to crushing the French on wide open plains.

Also, everyone seemed to gang up on them, too, French, Spanish, Hessians, Americans.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
Haven't seen this mentioned so far, but it seems that in certain cases, The British weren't ready for a guerilla war, especially in the giants forests in the East of America; they were more used to crushing the French on wide open plains.

Also, everyone seemed to gang up on them, too, French, Spanish, Hessians, Americans.

Once again, I got the ganging up. I will definitely look into the guerilla styled warfare though.
I know that it has been mentioned about a million times already Craigo, but the British lost tons of resources through guerilla warfare. Just ask Mel Gibson, he should know. (joking) I think another factor (and I may be wrong about this, but it may be worth looking into) is that the American leadership had the ability to make important, strategic decisions on the spot, while the British army often had to hear from their Government ( or at least the higher ups) to make major military moves.

Anyway, here is a website. The info isn't cited so I don't know how useful it is to you, but at the very bottom of the page there is a couple of books that may help.

http://www.britishbattles.com/american-revolution.htm

EDIT:

The references section of the American Revolutionary War Wikipedia webpage has tons of books listed along with their ISBN numbers. That may help.
Last edited by Seryaph at Sep 22, 2008,
you might also look into supplies. No offense but the old Brits were very picky and would wait for supplies to be brought instead of stealing from local farms, yes some did do this, but the majority didn't.

While the Americans would scavenge and hunt for food. Then use whatever they could off the dead brits.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
I didn't hear about resources.

And yeah, that's all brilliant stuff, cheers

Does anyone know any good books? I don't mind on biasness, in fact, I would welcome some healthy biasness on both sides.

EDIT: FANTASTIC site. Bookmarked with enthusiasm
Quote by Craigo
I didn't hear about resources.

And yeah, that's all brilliant stuff, cheers

Does anyone know any good books? I don't mind on biasness, in fact, I would welcome some healthy biasness on both sides.

Check out the bottom part of the Wikipedia article on the American Revolutionary War.

Seriously, there are like 30 different book titles there.

As well as some external links that might have some juicy info.