So what is a better Custom Guitar, ESP or Gibson, assuming they both had Alnico Pro 2 Duncan pickups.
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
ESP LTD Eclipse 1000, ASB
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
why do you have 4 lespauls?
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
ESP cheaper and better quality
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
...they're custom. If they make it to your specs they should be about the same.
Oh dear...
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Roc8995
...they're custom. If they make it to your specs they should be about the same.

Well, not necessarily. For example: I know several different kinds of maple (not taking into account the figured stuff), mahogany, ebony and rosewood, each kind with it's own tonal aspects. Potentially, each custom shop uses different woods while using the same names, so tonal results will vary.

Then there are differences in the hardware used. Take the tune-o-matic bridge as an example: There's a whole bunch of companies that make those and each has it's own materials and slightly varying construction.

Last but not least: There are some differences in workmanship and general attitute towards the product: Gibson's V.O.S guitars tend to have sunken in binding and inlays. Not because the luthiers can't do it right, but because that are common issues on vintage Gibsons. They just try to make their guitars authentic. You decide for yourself if you want that or not.

I know that the differences are subtle. But a custom LP can easily cost 4000$ and I think we can afford to be picky in that price range.

To the ts: I'd not go with any of these companies, because ESP custom guitars are hardly better than their (already very good) standard guitars and because the Gibson customs that are really really good cost waaaayyyy too much. Also they're made to be vintage authentic and require some improvements (tuners!) to make them real players imo.
I'd go with a local luthier if I was you or with one of the companies specialized on making custom stuff like ranguitars - Their prices are more reasonable than ESP's or Gibson's and they are just as good.
Quote by Lord Waltaa
why do you have 4 lespauls?

because I love Les Pauls, and im selling two of them (not advertising! Just answering)
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Quote by ZaÐ
Ran

YES!!!!!!!

ranguitars.com
but with the american dollar so low compared to a euro, idk
if thats an issue
then ESP fo sho!
Rans quality went down a little, while there prices and waiting time have went up.
And each custom shop is different. Neither one is better, it's all a matter of opinion.
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, not necessarily. For example: I know several different kinds of maple (not taking into account the figured stuff), mahogany, ebony and rosewood, each kind with it's own tonal aspects. Potentially, each custom shop uses different woods while using the same names, so tonal results will vary.

Then there are differences in the hardware used. Take the tune-o-matic bridge as an example: There's a whole bunch of companies that make those and each has it's own materials and slightly varying construction.

Last but not least: There are some differences in workmanship and general attitute towards the product: Gibson's V.O.S guitars tend to have sunken in binding and inlays. Not because the luthiers can't do it right, but because that are common issues on vintage Gibsons. They just try to make their guitars authentic. You decide for yourself if you want that or not.

I know that the differences are subtle. But a custom LP can easily cost 7000$ and I think we can afford to be picky in that price range.

To the ts: I'd not go with any of these companies, because ESP custom guitars are hardly better than their (already very good) standard guitars and because the Gibson customs that are really really good cost waaaayyyy too much. Also they're made to be vintage authentic and require some improvements (tuners!) to make them real players imo.
I'd go with a local luthier if I was you or with one of the companies specialized on making custom stuff like ranguitars - Their prices are more reasonable than ESP's or Gibson's and they are just as good.

Fixed.
Quote by TheQuailman

chances are you'll hardly notice any difference consider this is a electric guitar not some fancy violin
Fancy violins! Ahhh the Stradavarius.
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Get a Jackson custom shop! I had to wait a long time to receive it, but it's my pride and joy. They will go out of their way to make sure it fits your specifications, I haven't heard any rants about their wrong doing in the custom process, they are slow but efficient. The hardware, wood, and paint jobs are all flawless, plus the price could come to half of a custom Gibson price, literally.

I always have wondered how B.C. Rich custom shops were?

This is the Jackson CS I got.

Obviously purchased from drumcityguitarland.com, which I highly recommend, shipping was superb, product was mint.

Total was $2,349.99

Reason it took a somewhat long shipping time, is because drumcity wasn't carrying any at the time, and had to do business with Jackson's Custom Shop to obtain more.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Last edited by bloodycomfort at Sep 23, 2008,
^very nice, but like all BC-Riches: too much money for what you get.

+1 to JAckson CS quality, but -1 to Jackson's long waiting line...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
New Orleans Guitar Company? After seeing the top of this guitar, I seriously want to check them out further.

http://www.napervillemusic.com/aweb3.html
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Carvin! It was reccomended to me here, and believe me, visit their site and you will know love.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
If they were made all to the same specs, single cut and all like that, there would be hardly much difference.

And am I the only one here who doesn't particually like Alnico 2s?

Everyone loves them now.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by kckyle
chances are you'll hardly notice any difference consider this is a electric guitar

That's totally incorrect. Thanks for playing.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Sep 23, 2008,
Quote by Lil Macker
If they were made all to the same specs, single cut and all like that, there would be hardly much difference.

And am I the only one here who doesn't particually like Alnico 2s?

Everyone loves them now.

I don't like them either

Jackson custom shop is great, but you do have to wait about a year :/ RAN and ESP are more expensive but ESP has I think 8-9 month wait, and RAN has like a 10-11 month wait.

Overall it's what you want. I'd go for the ESP custom shop though, I'm really gassing for a black custom Eclipse with an FR and black pearl binding (like the Edwards EC haha)
apparently a lot of people here like Carvin customs... I checked the site, and they look really nice, AND very, very, very inexpensive. For the most part their guitars are < $900.

the only thing is i dont think you can get Brand Name pickups on them, and their headstocks are a little ugly,

but between ESP and Gibson, i'd def. go with ESP.

For 8 grand max you can get ANYTHING. ANYTHING. ive seen some really intense guitar pics on the net...

And i really dont see the point of buying a custom gibson, apart from the name