School, a prison for kids where we are assigned ridiculous assignments in order to keep us busy and not doing the things we love and enjoy, and today in this lovely place I was assigned a project.

This project is reading a book and writing a big "report" on it, this project is done alone, meaning the teacher does absolutely nothing, it's easy to mark, easy to assign, and stupid to write.
With that said, I do plan on completing the project and I hope to do it well, the only problem is, it has to be a novel (300 pages or more) written by a Canadian Author, I know of no good books which fit this criteria.

tl;dr/end, What are some good books 300 pages or more written by Canadian authors, and would be good to "analyze"?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Actually, school is a place where you are socialized to sit down, shut up, and pay attention to the person in the front of the class, i.e. the authority figure.

It is more about turning you into a quiet little sheep and integrating you into society more than keeping you imprisoned.

Fun fact of the day.
I kind of enjoyed school... First cigarette, first sex, first good music... Sweet memories...

On a serious note, "Life Of Pi" by Yann Martel. Amazing book, won the Booker prize, it's about 300 pages long and Yann is Canadian. You will enjoy this book, I guarantee that!
for rent
look up a writer named eric walters.

he writes pretty good stuff for highschool aged kids.
(and the ISU can go f*ck itself)
i dont know of any canadian authors..

i know of Rush though.. if that helps?
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
The Handmaid's Tale: Margaret Atwood

307 pages of gold by one of the most famous authors Canada has produced, you'll have no problem finding material for a report in it.
Quote by elliott FTW

How the hell could that possibly help?
i was about to suggest the satanic bible, but anton lavey isn't canadian, nor is the book 300 pages. just thought i'd share.
Quote by l1Douchhe1l
i was about to suggest the satanic bible, but anton lavey isn't canadian, nor is the book 300 pages. just thought i'd share.

Do you have any idea how useless what you just said is?
Quote by Gakusey
I kind of enjoyed school... First cigarette, first sex, first good music... Sweet memories...

On a serious note, "Life Of Pi" by Yann Martel. Amazing book, won the Booker prize, it's about 300 pages long and Yann is Canadian. You will enjoy this book, I guarantee that!

, that was the first book my teacher suggested.

While I realize the importance of school, I just wish there could be a better way of doing it.

And yes, ISU can suck my dick, it's a huge assignment where teachers don't have to do anything.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by Aidan93
look up a writer named eric walters.

he writes pretty good stuff for highschool aged kids.
(and the ISU can go f*ck itself)

I loved STARS, great book. Another good book by a Canadian author I read was Fifth Business by Robertson Davies but I think it just falls short of 300 pages.
I wish school was the exact same thing except it was learning optional.like if you didn't want to do any of the work you didn't have to. You could just go to meet people and hang out with friends.
Corona Corona
Oh, is there any books that aren't about women/children that fit this criteria... I've noticed a sort of trend, every famous canadian book, is about a child (usually female) or a women.

It's not a big deal, it would just be more interesting to read if there was some action, or comedy...

Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by Seryaph
Actually, school is a place where you are socialized to sit down, shut up, and pay attention to the person in the front of the class, i.e. the authority figure.

It is more about turning you into a quiet little sheep and integrating you into society more than keeping you imprisoned.

Fun fact of the day.

False.
It's definitely about keeping you in a building for a set amount of hours predetermined by the state.
Don't lie to the Pit. It doesn't like it.

EDIT: I just realized my post is completely off-topic and useless. My apologies.
Last edited by archangels666 at Sep 22, 2008,
Quote by floppypick
Oh, is there any books that aren't about women/children that fit this criteria... I've noticed a sort of trend, every famous canadian book, is about a child (usually female) or a women.

It's not a big deal, it would just be more interesting to read if there was some action, or comedy...

The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence is definitely not for you then >.<

Horrible novel, you'll just be wishing for the main character to die halfway through
The debate about the purpose of school is, for lack of a more fitting phrase, ****ing stupid.
Quote by Gakusey

I have to agree, didn't even know that was by a Canadian, though.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
The handmaids tale doesn't sound that bad... so if I can't find something better, that's probably going to be it.

Thanks so far guys, I'm going to keep looking through the books you have suggested, and hopefully you guys have some more to suggest
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Until this moment, I've never fully realized how much Canadian literature sucks withered moose balls.
Quote by floppypick
The handmaids tale doesn't sound that bad... so if I can't find something better, that's probably going to be it.

Thanks so far guys, I'm going to keep looking through the books you have suggested, and hopefully you guys have some more to suggest

It's very good, although if you're not interested in reading about women then it won't be for you as, by and large, it is about the struggle of women in a totalitarian society.

If you can get past the idea of writing about feminism, it's a very good book. I'm writing about it as one third of my English dissertation.
Quote by l1Douchhe1l

Quote by Ozy44
It's very good, although if you're not interested in reading about women then it won't be for you as, by and large, it is about the struggle of women in a totalitarian society.

If you can get past the idea of writing about feminism, it's a very good book. I'm writing about it as one third of my English dissertation.

It doesn't really bother me so much, just the fact that books about women, written by women, tend to be really... girl, if you know what I mean.

Life of pi seems really weird (yay sparknotes) doesn't sound bad, but not very exciting either.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by Trefellin
How the hell could that possibly help?

It could remind you that your place in life is where you want to be, and not to let them tell you that "You owe it all to me."

e|-------|-------------------|-------------------|-------------------|--------|
B|-------|-------------------|-------------------|-------------------|--------|
G|----5-7|-------------------|-------------------|-------------------|--------|
D|5-7-5-7|-------------------|-------------------|-------------------|--------|
A|5-7-3-5|---7---5-7-5-------|---7---5-7-5-------|---7---5-7-5-------|5-7-----|
E|3-5----|0------------7-5-3-|0------------7-5-3-|0------------7-5-3-|3-5-----|

Quote by elliott FTW
i dont know of any canadian authors..

Look to see if there are any books by Geddy Lee, Neil Peart, or Alex Lifeson
Quote by in2thesun88
Look to see if there are any books by Geddy Lee, Neil Peart, or Alex Lifeson

Actually, Neil does have a book. Supposed to be damn good, too. I've been meaning to read it for a while.
Quote by Dimefan69
what is that riff?

"Anthem" by Rush. I referenced the lyrics. If you try to play it, remember - 7/8 time.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 22, 2008,
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Great canadian classic:

, I remember that!

well STARS by Eric Walters sounds good, but would it have enough information to do a in depth report, on passages and character development and stuff?

While a great story would be nice, a book to analyze is what I need, both would be awesome
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by floppypick
, I remember that!

well STARS by Eric Walters sounds good, but would it have enough information to do a in depth report, on passages and character development and stuff?

While a great story would be nice, a book to analyze is what I need, both would be awesome

It might be a bit simple for 11th grade english...

In 11th grade they made us read novels like The Stone Angel ( ), Catcher in the Rye, etc.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
It might be a bit simple for 11th grade english...

Yeah, just saw the ages and stuff it was for, oh well

So far Handmaid's tale is my choice... anything better!?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Thats exactly the role of school, to imprison you and stop you from doing things you want to

Maybe its so you dont end up as a ****ing retard in the gutter because you dont know how to add 2+2
Quote by andyscoot
Thats exactly the role of school, to imprison you and stop you from doing things you want to

Maybe its so you dont end up as a ****ing retard in the gutter because you dont know how to add 2+2

I know, I know.

I see the importance in school, I just wish it could be done differently, more interesting and engaging.

I do sometimes enjoy school, but there are many times that I think it is ridiculous and a waste of time, such as this project.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by floppypick
Yeah, just saw the ages and stuff it was for, oh well

So far Handmaid's tale is my choice... anything better!?

Maybe ask your english teacher for some suggestions?

edit: Did you check out any books by Robertson Davies? Fifth Business is the first in his most popular trilogy but it stands well alone, 273 pages according to wikipedia though. Maybe check out some of his other works.
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Sep 22, 2008,
Quote by floppypick
I know, I know.

I see the importance in school, I just wish it could be done differently, more interesting and engaging.

I do sometimes enjoy school, but there are many times that I think it is ridiculous and a waste of time, such as this project.

Its building your writing and comprehension skills, trust me, nothing you do in school that is on the curriculum is pointless
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Maybe ask your english teacher for some suggestions?

edit: Did you check out any books by Robertson Davies? Fifth Business is the first in his most popular trilogy but it stands well alone, 273 pages according to wikipedia though. Maybe check out some of his other works.

I plan on asking my teacher for some suggestions.

Yes everything in school can be important, but it depends on what you plan on doing later in you.r life
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick