Hello everybody,

holy crap this is I believe my second thread here, wow.

Anyways, having played some songs and practicing I believe I am at a nice juncture between beginner and intermediate and so I have started to play some more challenging songs. This one being Happiness is a Warm Gun by the beatles.

My problem seems to be that my speed is just not catching up to what the tempo for a lot of their song requires. I can play blackbird just fine though which i'm proud of and horse with no name, the second song I learned. Does anyone have suggestions on how to progress, should I just stay at it or go to another song?

Although I did just start learning it yesterday.
slow it down, play the song till you can play it at that speed cleanly, then speed it up a bit, repeat
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
start doing scales and chromatics with a metronome.

You'll hate it, but it's invaluable.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
maybe to help you bridge the gap you could try some dexterity exercises or speed exercises, if you do em 15 mins every day you'll soon be faster and a better player. search on the web, theres loads o exercises out there
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by twistedmaggot
slow it down, play the song till you can play it at that speed cleanly, then speed it up a bit, repeat

+1

you need to learn to play something slowly first if you ever want to be able to play it quickly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by twistedmaggot

+1 again

Use a metronome for this. A good method to use is for each 3 clicks faster you make the metronome, move two clicks back. Doing so allows you to build both your speed and accuracy while avoiding developing bad habits.

Also, check out a program called The Amazing Slow Downer. I'll basically let you slow down or speed up actual recordings without affecting the pitch. It's really helpful for learning to actually play along with real music.
wow so many responses so quickly, thank you all.

Thank you all for the suggestions of slowing down and then doing dexterity exercises, I will definitely look into them and start working it into my routine before playing. I normally just jump into playing blackbird because it warms my fingers up fast and then I play with my open chords a little and by that point (20 min or so) feeling good and ready.

As far as dragonforce goes, we're just gonna stay far far away from them until I can play it and have an electric. lol, but thank you for the suggestion.

So thank you all again, I'll go slower and keep at it, I think I'm just really anxious to hear it played smoothly because I was so happy when I could do that with blackbird.