Is writing lyrics almost always considered to be part of the vocalist's job description?

It seems that more often then not the vocalist is the one who writes lyrics for the band, but is it out of line to expect someone else to write the lyrics when trying to form a band?

The thing is that I enjoy doing vocals but am quite awful at writing lyrics. I suffer from an almost COMPLETE inability to do so, in fact.

Is there any hope for a vocalist who wants to be in a band but can't write lyrics?
If they can sing and another person in a band can write lyrics and think of a melody, I shouldn't see why there shouldn't be.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Yes, infact there are a surprising amount of bands who's vocalist isn't the member of the band that writes the lyrics. But lyric writing is an aquired skill for most, just like any other aspect of song writing. Just constantly write lyrics and you'll notice improvement over time, also a good idea is to study the lyrics of your favorite lyrisist, you'll likely pick up their good habits when it comes to writing.
I write pretty much all my bands lyrics, but I suck at singing them. Im a great lyriacist, but our singer sucks at it. So if you can find a good balance then its not a problem at all.
Quote by david_highland
Yes, infact there are a surprising amount of bands who's vocalist isn't the member of the band that writes the lyrics. But lyric writing is an aquired skill for most, just like any other aspect of song writing. Just constantly write lyrics and you'll notice improvement over time, also a good idea is to study the lyrics of your favorite lyrisist, you'll likely pick up their good habits when it comes to writing.

Thats a very good bit of advice Certainly worked for me.
I'm pretty sure that Neil Peart is the lyricist for Rush, not Geddy Lee.

So it should work.
Quote by david_highland
Just constantly [do anything] and you'll notice improvement over time
Good advice.

You're definately not responsible for the lyrics just because you sing. However, it may be awkward singing deep, introspective lyrics written by someone else. You can get over the awkwardness and sing, but I want to warn you of that possibility.
i personally would hate playing in a band with a different persons lyrics... im a greedy musician! i wouldnt care if someone was better, its either i write the lyrics for my stuff or i play an instrumental, which is exactly why im most likely to be playing with backing tracks for years to come... :/