I don't have a lotta time so here's the deets:
-i found this spray can of gold spray paint in my garage
-i don't wanna sand the current finish cause itll be a pain
-could i spray the gold over the lacquer? I don't think itll need more than 5 coats.
-will i NEED to do a clear coat?
-whats the best color pickguard/pickup cover combo to go with a rosewood fingerboard and this gold paint?

edit-- i forgot to mention its a yamaha pacifica, even though it says it in the title it couldnt hurt to say it again.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Last edited by BD 425 at Sep 22, 2008,
You'll need to sand the lacquer a little to key it, otherwise the paint will hardly stick.

Also, if you don't sand back to wood, you'll be left with a seriously thick finish on your guitar... I wouldn't advise it.
Quote by -MintSauce-
You'll need to sand the lacquer a little to key it, otherwise the paint will hardly stick.

Also, if you don't sand back to wood, you'll be left with a seriously thick finish on your guitar... I wouldn't advise it.

+4
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If its durable thick paints like car paint (I think they're plastic or acrylic or something) you wont need a clear coat.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
is any sanding necessary? if i sand this stuff at all itll probably all come off. its Krylon 18-k gold spray, if that means anything.

and no it isnt car paint.
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
help please?
Quote by GoDrex
don't do it

why not?
Sand until taking all the buff out with 60 grit, make sure you take all the electronics and hardware, and neck. Once you take all the gloss,sand with a lower end grit sand paper till everything is nice n smooth. Then start painting. Take a good distance with the spray can as to not have runoffs. Wait between coats till its dry. Paint as many coats as you think is nesessary to achieve the color you want. Then get polyurethane clear coat, and spray the clear over the guitar. Wait between coats; Recommended amount of clear coats 20.
Quote by divinorum69
Sand until taking all the buff out with 60 grit, make sure you take all the electronics and hardware, and neck. Once you take all the gloss,sand with a lower end grit sand paper till everything is nice n smooth. Then start painting. Take a good distance with the spray can as to not have runoffs. Wait between coats till its dry. Paint as many coats as you think is nesessary to achieve the color you want. Then get polyurethane clear coat, and spray the clear over the guitar. Wait between coats; Recommended amount of clear coats 20.

Thanks for the help. Don't i need to sand in between clear coats? or is that for nitro?
Quote by BD 425
Thanks for the help. Don't i need to sand in between clear coats? or is that for nitro?

yep you should sand if you have any roughness, do it with a very light sand. Always be careful when sanding round the edges, paint and laquers come off very easily on the edges
What # grit should i use?

I hope i'm not frustrating you with all these questions but i've never done this before and couldnt find anything on UG or google. (though i didnt look too hard.)
Guitarist UK did a whole article on this 'Pimp My Pacifica' and they ended up with a few -apparently- really nice guitars.
they did a HH one
EVH style ish one
a £300 of top quality parts one
'bluesmaster'

Although there werent any goldtops, i figured this would be relevant.

If you want one or two of them scanning, ill do so. Unless ill be banned to hell if i do so.
- Sam
Its Getting Better All The Time
^No, i'm all set, thanks though.
Quote by BD 425
What # grit should i use?

I hope i'm not frustrating you with all these questions but i've never done this before and couldnt find anything on UG or google. (though i didnt look too hard.)

600 hundred grit should do the trick
^Thanks a bunch. Although now I don't think im gonna do the goldtop.... but thanks for the help anyways.