I recently got a Boss EQ pedal amp put it through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe to get rid of some of the overpowering bass. But, now the amp sounds... quacky, as in it sounds like a duck quack. I tried lowering the mids with the EQ pedal, which helped a little, but then it sounded flat.

Any suggestions?
"My job is a decision-making... job. And as a result I make a lot of decisions."
-G.W.B
your pedal may be killing the tone. try lowering the bass and upping the treble on the amp.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
I have the bass on about 4/12 and the treble about 6/12

Should there be more contrast between the two?

I tried the pedal in the FX loop and the input, not much difference.
"My job is a decision-making... job. And as a result I make a lot of decisions."
-G.W.B
Quack on the clean or dirty channel?

There's always a little quack out of the HRD. It's what makes the amp what it is.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I tried using a Boss EQ to fix my Hot Rod, but then in comparison, I found I like the Hot Rod by itself a lot (a LOT) more. Just turn it up. I mean, the overdrive isn't really fixable. I don't even use it. Just an FF or OCD through the clean channel. But turned up, the clean channel is impeccable.
::Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
::Fender MIM HSS Strat w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb and killbutton
::Digitech Whammy, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX MicroSynth, Kaoss Pad 3,
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
Quote by PKTrono
I tried using a Boss EQ to fix my Hot Rod, but then in comparison, I found I like the Hot Rod by itself a lot (a LOT) more. Just turn it up. I mean, the overdrive isn't really fixable. I don't even use it. Just an FF or OCD through the clean channel. But turned up, the clean channel is impeccable.

This guy is right.

Crank that clean channel and you get a fat and lovely sounding crunch.

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/H4T3BR33D3R/?action=view&current=Lol1.flv

That's with everything pinned. I think it sounds good.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Try an MXR, I used that with my hrd and it worked quite well. Like the guys before me said, don't use the overdrive channel, clean is where it's at.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The clean is what is quacky.
It's a great clean amp, I just find the bass a little booming, but maybe I need a rebias.

I live in a duplex where my neighbors are always home, so I don't often get the chance to crank it.
But I find that the overdrive sounds better with low drive and an OD pedal over it.

H4T3BR33D3R, that is nice!
-G.W.B
Last edited by Big Light at Sep 22, 2008,
This may be a dumb question, but did you try just taking out all the bass on the amp? Like just putting it to 0? Also, did you try the EQ in the loop? Or out front, in case it was already in the loop?
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
Step One: Put hand inside amp
Step Two: Remove the duck

There's your solution.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by (Metal)lica
Step One: Put hand inside amp
Step Two: Remove the duck

There's your solution.

Wow I didn't even think about that. When I got the amp, it had a raccoon inside, but I took it out before turning the amp on.
Nice amp. Put the eq in the loop. Re-adjust your settings on the amp prior to using the eq and as close as you can get to liking them, and just fine tune with the eq after. Place a loon in the amp, it's more bassy than a duck, much smoother tones.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I've tried putting the bass on 0, but it's still pretty booming. I think I need to rebias a little hotter.

I've tried to EQ in both the loop and the regular input (1 and 2). I didn't notice much of a difference.

Here's a sound clip of the quacky (or kinda farty) sound, my mic is really quite so it's not a high quality recording.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzmmyzddkz0
-G.W.B
More treble me thinks, and cut bass on the amp along with the eq, you may think about a jensen copy from ted weber to replace the speaker.

Edit:
Quote by timi_hendrix
Move the amp off the floor to get rid of the boominess.

Why didn't I think of this
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Big Light
I've tried putting the bass on 0, but it's still pretty booming. I think I need to rebias a little hotter.

I've tried to EQ in both the loop and the regular input (1 and 2). I didn't notice much of a difference.

Here's a sound clip of the quacky (or kinda farty) sound, my mic is really quite so it's not a high quality recording.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzmmyzddkz0

You can't really dial that quack out. I have that quack on mine too. I notice that it goes away a bit when I turn the presence down.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster