Ok I have this idea for the AT forum- a special list of instructional resources (Online, Magazine, Book, DVD etc) for guitar playing in general. I will start with some but if you know some that are not on the list, post in the thread and I will add them. If you disagree with a books rating or anything else, please post too!
If you want to post an idea- please write it like this-
-Resource Name
-Rating out of 10 (10 being amazing, 1 being crap)
-A description
-Cost (if known)

Now... to the list!
MAGAZINES

-Total Guitar
-8/10
-This magazine has lots of learn to play material, in lots of styles, but mainly punk, rock and metal. The articles aren't always that great but a few months ago they had a great 'Play Like Your Heroes' article. The magazine has gone downwards in quality over the past year imo but its still a great resource...and I still use learn to play material from 2 years ago! It's great value for money.
-It's $15 here in Australia

Guitar Techniques
-9/10
-This is a great magazine made entirely of learn to play material. Whilst Total Guitar has lots for beginners, this has lots of more intermediate/advanced stuff in every style. A great mag for learning new things!

WEBSITES

-Ultimate Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com)
-10/10
-This is a fantastic website with so much great stuff to help your playing. The MT forums in particular are full of helpful and sexy, if i do say so myself, regulars. The Pit is also hilarious for when you're sick of talking about shredding.
-Free!

-Any site that says KILLER GUITAR KONTROLEZ
-BEWARE!
-There are so many guitar sites online that have expensive courses that make you a pro guitarist in a week. This is bullshit. No-one can develop awesome skillz overnight-it takes time! If you want to become a shredder, dont think its easy, it aint. If you want to do this, get Speed Mechanics For Lead Guitar and Rock Discipline, and then practice heaps. If anyone knows a guitar course online that actually works, plese post.

BOOKS

-Speed Mechanics For Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina
-9/10
-This book is a bible for all intrested in shredding! It is packed with excersises and practicing tips and it will last you for years! This is the single most helpful thing I've come across. The only bad part is that it didn't have a section on tapping, but it is still a must-have.
-$20

-Fretboard Mastery by Troy Stetina
-10/10
-This is the sequel to Speed Mechanics, but this time its all about theory and ear training. It is a fantastic guide to theory that will once again, last you years. A must have for training your ear. Using this book alone I can recognise intervals by name and instantly play any guitar line I hear in my head (provided I have the chops to play it).
-$20

DVDS

Speed Kills Series with Michael Angelo Batio
-8/10
-In these DVDs Michael explains everything in a way that is easy to understand, along with explaining the theory behind it. There are tabs for all the examples. This DVD will jumpstart your shred ability! It would be nice, however, if ther was an overhead view of his guitar so you can see exactly how his hand moves.
-Unknown Price

Rock Discipline- John Petrucci
-10/10
-"Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will feed him for life." This DVD taught me how to fish (metaphorically speaking). This is not just another learn-to-shred DVD. In this DVD, Petrucci covers important topics such as warming up, practice tips, interesting chord voicing and more. Of coarse, the beef of the DVD is in the technique section. The DVD is also loaded with performances and includes a tour of JP's rig at the time. The bottom line is, the ideas and concepts you will learn in this DVD will not only make you a better player now, but will grow with you as you grow as a player. If you don't believe me, look at all of the great players that learned from this DVD.
-$35 to $45

'Young Guitar' by Marty Friedman and Paul Gilbert
-8/10
-This DVD is great for lessons. It helps you learn about playing with another guitarist, as well as having speed exercises and chord progressions.
The only bad thing is that Marty and Paul spend a little too much time jamming. Overall this is a great video but is only helpful for advanced players-it is not a beginners vid!
-Unknown Price

This thread's really coming along, anyone got some more?
Last edited by Myung-trucci at Sep 26, 2008,
-In most of the speed kills dvds(i have all but speed lives by the way) michael explains everything hes talking about in a manner i can understand
-Theres tab for all the examples he does
-He explains the theory behind what is going on
- It will jumpstart you shred ability

Dislikes
-I wish there was a overhead view of his guitar so i can see how his hand moves and things like that

Besides that i would highly recommend the speed kills series
Rock Discipline- John Petrucci
-10/10
-"Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will feed him for life." This DVD taught me how to fish (metaphorically speaking). This is not just another learn-to-shred DVD. In this DVD, Petrucci covers important topics such as warming up, practice tips, interesting chord voicing and more. Of coarse, the beef of the DVD is in the technique section. The DVD is also loaded with performances and includes a tour of JP's rig at the time. The bottom line is, the ideas and concepts you will learn in this DVD will not only make you a better player now, but will grow with you as you grow as a player. If you don't believe me, look at all of the great players that learned from this DVD.
-$35 to $45
Quote by ESPplayer5150
-In most of the speed kills dvds(i have all but speed lives by the way) michael explains everything hes talking about in a manner i can understand
-Theres tab for all the examples he does
-He explains the theory behind what is going on
- It will jumpstart you shred ability

Dislikes
-I wish there was a overhead view of his guitar so i can see how his hand moves and things like that

Besides that i would highly recommend the speed kills series

Definitely. He's really good at explaining what he's doing, and how his technique may differ from someone else's.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Sep 22, 2008,
I hope some people more people can add resources-but I'll keep going. This has the potential to be an awesome thread!
Magazines: Guitar Techniques.

Where Total Guitar is more for beginners, Guitar Techniques is great for intermediate and better players. Its made up of in-depth lessons with plenty of examples and only a couple of songs every month. Compared to TG which is mostly made up of songs plus a few guest lessons each month.
Guitar: Jackson JS30KV
PSN id : craig_241
Steam
Feel free to add me!
There was a video i found of marty friedman and paul gilbert called "young guitar".
8/10

great for lessons.
helps you learn about playing with another guitarist.
speed exercises, and improvising chord progressions.

Only pet peeve is that amrty and paul to a little to much jamming, its sounds sweet but is only helpful if your advanced, so not a beginners video in that sense!
cool, I think I've seen it with Alexi Laiho too

I once got this DVD with Zakk Wylde and it was so crap though lol
He is the sloppiest 'shredder' ive ever seen

uncoordination+wah
Quote by mccabe24
I'm not sure but I believe young guitar is part of a European serries that features various players.

They're japanese actually and they do feature various famous players but my personal favourite is still the Michael Romeo one, even watching his technique so close up is a real treat.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TheShred201
Maybe you should review the stickies That way people actually read them....

www.chopsfromhell.com
Lot's of (potentially) great DVD's on there--I can't review em as I don't have any, but there's lots of nice stuff in the free columns section.

I can vouch for the quality of the Santiago Dobles DVD on Chops From Hell; it's got some pretty good ideas, usually very nicely explained and put into some kind of context, not just run as exercises and he's got a pretty different way of looking at scale sequencing.

Not to mention the fact that you get to see his beautiful Conklin 7 string throughout and his phenominal technique.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
They're japanese actually and they do feature various famous players but my personal favourite is still the Michael Romeo one, even watching his technique so close up is a real treat.

Thanks. I think I'll be looking into that. Michael Romeo is one of my favorite players. His technique is truley amazing.